Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Opeth - Pale Communion

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Played the album twice so far. First time it didn't make a huge impression, but I realized that was because I didn't play it loud enough. After correcting that oversight, I have to say this is a fantastic prog album. If I didn't know it was Opeth, I would never guess, so little do they sound like past Opeth.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I liked this one, and it's the first Opeth album i buy. I've always been disappointed with the growling and the metal approach, but this one got me! I also liked what i listened out of Heritage, maybe i'll get that one also soon.

I bought, I like, I am in.

Quote Originally Posted by bobg56 View Post
    So if I buy the album now will it come with the replacement disc? The problem I have is that I currently don't have a Blu-Ray player so would have no way of knowing if the disc is good or not till I get a Blu-Ray player. Is there perhaps a different marking on the disc to be able to tell the difference between the old disc and the new one?
    I received my replacement disc last week and they look exactly the same. But the sound is a major improvement.
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

Quote Originally Posted by ske View Post
    I liked this one, and it's the first Opeth album i buy. I've always been disappointed with the growling and the metal approach, but this one got me! I also liked what i listened out of Heritage, maybe i'll get that one also soon.
    I picked up Pale Communion on a friends recommendation and loved it. I swear that it gets better every time I listen to it. Just picked up Heritage and it's not Pale Communion as it doesn't have the soaring melodies and the great musical passages of PC, but I'm sure it will grow on me.

Yeah, I dig this one. One of the more fun releases this year.

Saw them Thursday at Terminal 5 in NYC, they were awesome as usual. Waiting for when they return to do a full on tour for this album.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Saw them Thursday at Terminal 5 in NYC, they were awesome as usual. Waiting for when they return to do a full on tour for this album.
    I saw the set list from the Philly show on Wednesday night. I was hoping it was more of their progressive style that they've gone to, that was the only reason that I didn't go myself.

Well in comparison to inflames, they were mellow. You can really see the difference in where they've evolved to. It was a very progressive show in spite of some of the black vocals.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Played the album twice so far. First time it didn't make a huge impression, but I realized that was because I didn't play it loud enough. After correcting that oversight, I have to say this is a fantastic prog album. If I didn't know it was Opeth, I would never guess, so little do they sound like past Opeth.

i recently grabbed a copy of Pale Communion and agree with the first part -not a huge impression but very solid, increasing volume didn't really change anything (will probably like it more with increase spins like a lot of other great albums).

It seems to me since the Opeth/Steven Wilson relationship that they've impacted each other's sound, not really for the better. I liked Opeth better as a metal band and P-Tree better as a psych band.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    i recently grabbed a copy of Pale Communion and agree with the first part -not a huge impression but very solid, increasing volume didn't really change anything (will probably like it more with increase spins like a lot of other great albums).

It seems to me since the Opeth/Steven Wilson relationship that they've impacted each other's sound, not really for the better. I liked Opeth better as a metal band and P-Tree better as a psych band.
    Well I think Steven Wilson's influence on Opeth has certainly been positive. As for any influence by Mikhail on Porcupine Tree's sound, PT is dead in the water last time I checked, so not sure what that says.
    I was mildly astonished at how much I liked Storm Corrosion. I really was not expecting much, maybe just a heavied up version of Porcupine Tree, but they both brought something to the table and created a sound that you don't really hear in either of their respective bands.

So far Pale Communion is my 2014 Album of the Year and with only 9 days left in the year, I don't see anything dethroning it.

I liked Opeth better as a metal band and P-Tree better as a psych band.
    Agree. For me as well, Opeth evolved better by adding some complexity into their death metal basic sound and Porcupine Tree were at their peak as a psych/space rock band.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Except that Opeth's two most progressive records - Heritage & Pale Communion - were released after Wilson embarked head-on n his solo career, which is progier than anything he's done with PT. So it would seem that they just happened to go in a simliar direction..,with Wilson, if anything, more impacted by the remix work he's done, especially on Grace for Drowning..

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Agree. For me as well, Opeth evolved better by adding some complexity into their death metal basic sound and Porcupine Tree were at their peak as a psych/space rock band.
    Surely not?

A couple days ago I tried yet again to get a response on a replacement Blu-ray disc. This time they finally sent me the link. It only took since September...
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Was this not a stop on a full-on tour? Do you mean a tour with no opener like In Flames? Or was Opeth opening, or they take turns?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    And how was In Flames? I like some of their stuff but usually the vocals suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    A couple days ago I tried yet again to get a response on a replacement Blu-ray disc. This time they finally sent me the link. It only took since September...
    Weird. I got mine immediately.

Suspended
    It's odd. I've had Pale Communion now for sometime, and usually by this time I would have made up my mind whether I love it or am disappointed in it, but I am still unsure and trying to get my head around it. Given that there's no growl vocals, it's surprising how different it is from Damnation and Heritage, their other two growlless albums.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Was this not a stop on a full-on tour? Do you mean a tour with no opener like In Flames? Or was Opeth opening, or they take turns?
    My understanding is this was a primer for a full on tour this year. I could be wrong. In flames really isn't my cuppa. I listened to them years ago but haven't followed them in quite a while. They sounded to me too much of the same thing. I was a little bored.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Weird. I got mine immediately.
    I twice got messages like this after inquiring about the replacement disc, except with the date being pushed out for the second one:

"Since you have redeemed your download code after September 12, you will be part of the next wave of emails to go out with redemption codes for the replacement BluRay discs and instructions regarding how to receive them. We anticipate sending this email out shortly and you should receive it by the end of the month. If you do not see the message in your inbox at that time, please check your spam/junk folder in case the message is routed there.
    We appreciate your patience."

(and yes, I've been checking my spam folder)

Anyway, I got notification yesterday that the replacement has finally shipped.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Anyway, I got notification yesterday that the replacement has finally shipped.
    Good! I hope you enjoy it!

🇸🇪, 2014.
    Shifting from death metal to prog rock can happen. Anathema proved it. Opeth took its time to turn, and some tracks and whole albums turn out to be awesome in its first era. Steven Wilson's aura shines on. Pale Communion really pushes far in positive progressive world (#5 Goblin is a dedication to the eponym band), starting with a proggy delightful #1 Eternal Rains Will Come. Each track is a real treat, though. >10' #3 Moon Above, Sun Below is a hit, an excellent transcending opeth moment, we wish it lasted longer. Akerfeldt's voice works is amazing, and the use of supposed hammond appends powerful beauty. Expect an orchestral finale.