Thread: Linda Perry Project Reality Show - Prog Connection?

Linda Perry Project Reality Show - Prog Connection?

So, I just happened to flipping around channels tonight and came across a new reality show on VH-1 called The Linda Perry project. Perry is the former vocalist for the band 4 Non Blondes back in the early 90’s and has been a big time songwriter / producer for the past decade or so. Anyway, in this reality show she takes a bunch of unknown musicians and works with them in her studio. So I was just kind of half watching it while playing around on the computer and she brings her own band into the studio to work with some of these artists. I thought I recognized the guy playing keyboards and I finally figured it out. I am about 99% sure it is Damon Fox from the progressive rock band Big Elf. Just curious if anyone has seen this knows if that is who it is?

Haven't seen it here in Australia but I know she signed BigElf to her label Custard a few years back. Another prog connection is that I'm sure Kevin Gilbert produced her solo album.

I DVRd the show but have not watched it. But…

"VH-1 Behind The Music: Linda Perry" aired tonight. She talked of how her 1996 solo CD, In Flight, tanked. That CD had most of Tuesday Music Club as the core musicians (David Baerwald was the only one not involved).

Linda Perry – guitars, piano, bass
    Bill Bottrell – guitars, bass, drums
    Kevin Gilbert – keyboards, guitars
    Dan Schwartz – bass, steel guitar
    Brian MacLeod – drums, percussion

Their only show together was on November 3, 1995. Kevin Gilbert opened the show as he performed with Nick D'Virgilio in their 2-man-band configuration. After Kevin's set, Nick sat with us as we watched Linda & TMC perform her CD. Kevin was on keyboards and Bottrell handled a lot of guitar work including a lap steel guitar. It was a great performance. They definitely had a prog feel to their live show. **this was also the last time I saw Kevin perform on stage and his last public performance

This is from Wikipedia regarding a song, "Bill", that was left off of her CD:
    Perry explains "Bill" as "like a mini rock opera, that I didn't put on the new album because it was too big of a production for me to deal with right now". She performed the song live on her unplugged concert "At Moondog Cafe", 1998.
    I haven't seen Linda in years, but she remains in contact with the TMC boys and calls upon some of them for some sessions. I am sure she has a prog connection beyond the TMC/Kevin Gilbert circle.

I'm looking forward to watching the program. She has been on a ton of talk shows and news programs promoting this.

Now, to stir the pot a bit further… at the same time that Linda was making her album, Susanna Hoffs was also involved with TMC as she was making hers. Susanna's has more guest musicians as opposed to a core band, but the complete TMC lineup (along with other friends) were there… and so was Linda.

Here are some of the credits for Susanna Hoff's self-titled 1996 CD:

Susanna Hoffs – vocals, guitar, producer
    David Baerwald – guitar, keyboards, percussion, backing vocals, producer
    David Kitay – guitar, percussion, producer
    Linda Perry – guitar, backing vocals
    Dan Schwartz – bass
    Kevin Gilbert – keyboards
    Bill Bottrell – cello, percussion, backing vocals
    Brian MacLeod – drums, percussion

Jeff Trott (Wire Train, Sheryl Crow) – guitar
    Anders Rundblad (Wire Train, Sheryl Crow) – guitar
    Jason Falkner (Jellyfish) – guitar, bass, organ, keyboards, drums, percussion, chimes
    Jon Brion (Jellyfish) – guitar, bass, keyboards, percussion, drums

Linda Perry's In Flight and Susanna's self-titled disc are good companion pieces. They were both released within a couple of weeks of each other in September 1996. Grab them if you can find them.

Hmmm....they both sound pretty awesome. Thanks for the tip, Gruno!

And I'll have to look for that show, Steve. Sounds very cool. Again, thanks for the tip!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Hmmm....they both sound pretty awesome. Thanks for the tip, Gruno!
    Two of my favorite from Linda's CD

Check out the musical passage in this song starting around 2:56:

**by the way, the song isn't 10 mins; uploader has a bunch of dead air added

Wasn't that Linda Perry show at Hollywood Athletic Club?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

I'm looking forward to watching the program. She has been on a ton of talk shows and news programs promoting this.
    It was pretty good. She has a group of young musicians that she hand picked living in a house that come to her studio and work with her. I take it as an elimination type thing where she will cut one out every week or so until the winner gets a record deal with her. Her own band (of which I believe included Fox) helps work with her and the young artists in her studio. As mentioned I was only kind of half watching it while working on the computer, but I may try to catch additional episodes.

She was at the Bigelf show at The Roxy a few years ago. Damon gave her a shoutout.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    Wasn't that Linda Perry show at Hollywood Athletic Club?
    No, it was at Luna Park.

Old man of prog
    The Bigelf album before last was on her vanity label and she spent a TON of money promoting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    No, it was at Luna Park.
    Thanks for the info Gruno. I've been compiling a KG list of appearances (150+ so far) and discography. I had heard Linda Perry played a benefit around that time (95-96) at the Hollywood Athletic Club so I thought that might have been with TMC. Good to find out the correct stuff. I have to guess that was one of KGs last gigs if not THE last.

BTW I'm the proud owner of a large Thud poster that I won from you on an eBay auction years ago. It's beautifully framed and is in my dining room (so it's never "Late For Dinner") ha.