Thread: Grateful Dead - The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Grateful Dead - The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack

Something I would love to get cleared up before I order a copy of this 5-CD set: does it come packaged in a digipack or some kind of huge, clunky fat-boy jewel case? I feel like I saw it once in a store in a jewel case, yet I think someone once told me they have it in a digipak. I'm not even sure they could fit 5 CDs in any kind of jewel case.

My copy is two separate fatboy cases contained in a paper slipcase.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Mine is as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Mine is a fatboy for the first three CD's and a "slimline" case for the 4th and 5th CD's. But that was when it first came out, I actually pre-ordered it, along with the DVD and I think the Beyond Description boxset (which came out at the same time). Maybe they've changed it since then.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Mine is a fatboy for the first three CD's and a "slimline" case for the 4th and 5th CD's. But that was when it first came out, I actually pre-ordered it, along with the DVD and I think the Beyond Description boxset (which came out at the same time). Maybe they've changed it since then.
    I just checked mine now that I'm home and it's the same as what you've described...one fatboy and one slimline.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek
    Mine is a fatboy for the first three CD's and a "slimline" case for the 4th and 5th CD's.
    Like that.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    I just checked mine now that I'm home and it's the same as what you've described...one fatboy and one slimline.
    Ditto.

i just have the dvd set

Quote Originally Posted by claycorn View Post
    i just have the dvd set
    If you like it, you should get the CD set. Not only does it have a whole bunch of music that's not on the DVD, but all the segues were restored. For instance, on disc two, you get the full He's Gone/The Other One/Stella Blue sequence that's broken into three places on the DVD (with big chunks missing, including the entire first verse of Stella Blue). The only thing is they didn't use any of the Ned Lagin stuff, and they cut about 4 minutes out of Eyes Of The World on disc one (probably for space reasons, or maybe there's a gap on the master tape, who knows).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Something I would love to get cleared up before I order a copy of this 5-CD set: does it come packaged in a digipack or some kind of huge, clunky fat-boy jewel case? I feel like I saw it once in a store in a jewel case, yet I think someone once told me they have it in a digipak. I'm not even sure they could fit 5 CDs in any kind of jewel case.
    They can and they do. Mine must be a later edition, in a fatboy jewelcase that holds a fifth CD. Like Mister Triscuits, in a slipcase.
    I have this and the film because...well....you know....

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    They can and they do. Mine must be a later edition, in a fatboy jewelcase that holds a fifth CD. Like Mister Triscuits, in a slipcase.
    I have this and the film because...well....you know....
    Yeah, I once saw a multi-disc set they put those hinged trays like they use on the slimline cases, which allow it to hold as many as six CD's.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I’m finally watching some of this movie on Amazon Prime. The animation at the beginning seemed like it would never end! Maybe cause I’m not

Donna’s pretty annoying, as are a lot of the people in the crowd. Like the guys right at the front of the stage who have their girlfriends on their shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I’m finally watching some of this movie on Amazon Prime. The animation at the beginning seemed like it would never end! Maybe cause I’m not
    Funny, I always loved the animation. And I've never been in my life.

Donna’s pretty annoying, as are a lot of the people in the crowd. Like the guys right at the front of the stage who have their girlfriends on their shoulders.
    Donna's never bothered me as much as she apparently bothers other people. The only time she really gets on my nerves is when they were doing You Ain't Woman Enough. First of all, it ain't that good of a song. Second of all, it comes back to the only sub-bar band covers thing that I always hated with the Dead. And thirdly, Donna just doesn't have the ability to pull off the Loretta Lynn wannabe trip. She was fine when she'd sing Sunrise, but that's a gentler song, not about "belting it out" or whatever, and more suited to her voice.

As for the audience members, ya know, as many times as I've watched that movie, I've never once noticed the "guys right at the front of the stage who have their girlfriends on their shoulders". I did notice the girl with the rose in her mouth during One More Saturday Night, and the girl dancing during Casey Jones (literally the only redeeming moment during that song). And the redhead outside the Winterland talking about trying to score tickets. Oh yeah, and the woman who hands the bouquet of roses to the little girl, who then relays it to Jerry. That was kinda sweet.

And then there was the guy throwing a fit because "we're being exploited, we should get residuals if this film comes out". That whole business is hilarious. I love it when he says "If say if this is the movie, but there's no way it will". Think again, kid!