Thread: Speaking of Jimi

Speaking of Jimi

Let's face it - when anyone met Hendrix everyone else in rest of the world suddenly sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Let's face it - when anyone met Hendrix everyone else in rest of the world suddenly sucked.
    all other guitarists, maybe

Considering the numbers of people who say they have met and spent time with him -its amazing he had any spare to make music in

As someone said in one of the interviews, he was always playing guitar. He'd jam in clubs, in the studio; he frigging slept with his guitar, man!

Tell that to Kathy Etchingham or Monika Danneman.

http://www.legacy.com/news/legends-a...-afterlife/91/
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-16-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Speaking of Jimi did he invent the Afro? I had never seen this type of hairdo until I saw the cover for Are You Experienced?

the-jimi-hendrix-experience-are-you-experienced-back.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Gak Omek View Post
    Speaking of Jimi did he invent the Afro?
    No.

The interviews above are all quite enjoyable. Thanks for posting!

My favourite clip is Jimi speaking of Jimi

Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I'm familiar with that story, having read a couple of Hendrix bios. If Clapton bought into the hype about himself being "God," Jimi gave him a rude reality check when he sat in with Cream and "cut" him.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    As someone said in one of the interviews, he was always playing guitar. He'd jam in clubs, in the studio; he frigging slept with his guitar, man!
    He liked sex a lot too. He would've led a blissful life if sex and playing guitar were the only things he had to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Tell that to Kathy Etchingham or Monika Danneman.

http://www.legacy.com/news/legends-a...-afterlife/91/
    Interesting but depressing article. I know a little about family leeching off the fame of a deceased rock star; I've met Janis Joplin's siblings when I played guitar for an off-Broadway show they commissioned called "Love Janis."

Quote Originally Posted by The Gak Omek View Post
    Speaking of Jimi did he invent the Afro? I had never seen this type of hairdo until I saw the cover for Are You Experienced?

the-jimi-hendrix-experience-are-you-experienced-back.jpg
    Sure you have; Jimi was trying to emulate Bob Dylan's "do." He loved his hair almost as much as he loved his music and spent a lot of time with curlers and such, trying to get it to look like that. BTW, that's not really a "fro," though Jimi would sport a real one later on.

Always wondered. If he had played into his 60's, what would the state of music be? How would rock sound and what would we be hearing? Would some bands now, even exist? How different would rock be and what would it be?
    The older I get, the better I was.

^ all accounts I've read and heard were that he was heading in a jazz direction; he wanted to work with Miles Davis, I think it was. Anyway, he was in the early stages of developing a new/different type of music or sound. The man had NO boundaries, musically. I wish Jimi and Dylan had collaborated.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Exactly like Duane Allman.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    If he had played into his 60's, what would the state of music be? How would rock sound and what would we be hearing? Would some bands now, even exist? How different would rock be and what would it be?
    Impossible to know of course -- but I suspect he would have kept searching. Jazz and jazz fusion may have gone mainstream. I could see Jimi working with Gil Evans or somebody like Bill Laswell or Nils Petter Molvaer.