Thread: Keith Emerson and Greg Lake have launched Live From Manticore Hall

Keith Emerson and Greg Lake have launched Live From Manticore Hall

Did anyone attend any of these shows???

Keith Emerson and Greg Lake have launched Live From Manticore Hall, saying it's an opportunity to find out more about how the ELP icons work together.

The ten-track album was recorded during their 2010 world tour and saw them performing duet version of the band's catalogue.

Keyboardist Emerson says: "It's an introspective revisit to some of the music of ELP, and I think Greg and I gave it a personal touch with our Q&A sessions midway through the show. It's a delicate transformation."

Bassist and vocalist Lake adds: "I think the album offers a very interesting perspective upon how Keith and I work and create together."

Live At Manticore Hall is available via Cherry Red.

Tracklist

1.From The Beginning

2.Introduction

3.I Talk To The Wind

4.Bitches Crystal

5.The Barbarian

6.Take A Pebble

7.Tarkus

8.C’est Le Vie

9.Pirates

10.Moog Solo / Lucky Man

I was at the show in NYC at the Best Buy Theater. It was good, but Lake was a bit under-rehearsed. There were some moments in Pirates when he was barely hanging on with his bass playing. But other than that, I think it was a really enjoyable show. I'll pick up this release at some point.

Mike

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Do they do the full Tarkus? As a duet? That'd be interesting.

i was at the Westbury show and enjoyed it but probably will pass on this because i don't think it will work as a cd. from the clips on itunes i previewed there is alot of introduction that will become tiresome after a few listens. good show though.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do they do the full Tarkus? As a duet? That'd be interesting.
    There were programmed drums if memory serves. Not sure if it was the full piece or just the first half.

Just so you know as Ive had a fair few promo requests--this isnt on Esoteric but is available via Cherry Red

I went to the show at Holiday Star. Plaza in Indiana. I was so spoiled by previous great ELP shows that this show was a bit of a disappointment. I paid extra to meet Keith and Greg and they were very cordial. In the span of six months I got to meet Keith and Rick Wakeman, so that was pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    There were programmed drums if memory serves. Not sure if it was the full piece or just the first half.
    I have some audience recordings from the Emerson & Lake tour that were available on EzTorrent before ELP management banned their audience recordings from the site (seemingly one of the few groups to ban their ROIO recordings from Dimeadozen - pity). Anyway, the versions of Tarkus from the tour ran around 18 minutes long, so it's a moderately complete version of the piece. Yes, they did use programmed drums. I saw the show at the Birchmere in Alexandria, Virginia. It was okay, but Emerson's performance was disappointing to me.

Amazon has this as an MP-3 download, just went for it - $8.99

Will listen at the pool tomorrow and report back with a review

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Amazon has this as an MP-3 download, just went for it - $8.99

Will listen at the pool tomorrow and report back with a review

BG
    The samples I heard were pretty good, but they didn't have any Lake vocals, which is a concern of mine. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the release.

Quote Originally Posted by R_burke View Post
    The samples I heard were pretty good, but they didn't have any Lake vocals, which is a concern of mine. Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the release.
    Happy to ally any concerns, it certainly has vocals : )

22.JPG

Pretty much what you are expecting I imagine, just a duet so stripped down and more along the lines of unplugged but totally and completely charming

Probably more for the completest, or ELP fanatic but if that fits you, you'll dig this no question, some sweet spot shit

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Are the stories mixed in with the music on the tracks? I would love to hear the stories every 5 years or so, but I would also like to be able to isolate the music.

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    Are the stories mixed in with the music on the tracks? I would love to hear the stories every 5 years or so, but I would also like to be able to isolate the music.
    Yes, they are, but if that really bothers you thats a really easy fix

CDWave is a free program, rip the tracks and just insert a track marker between the stories and songs

BG

I love the Internet! Thank You!!

Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    I love the Internet! Thank You!!
    NP bro

Easiest track splitter there is!

BG

I got this today, and really enjoyed it. It's quite mellow. The talking isn't that bad, and there isn't much of it. It's ELP unplugged really, but it just made me wish they'd get a drummer and record a new album or tour.