Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Three Dog Night

My first concert was 3DN, how lame is that? There were interminable drum and keyboard solos which was great preparation for my concert career. Now, what's this about Chuck's exploding junk?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Now, what's this about Chuck's exploding junk?
    Yeah, I hadn't heard this either. I did a Google search and found this:

The candid Negron said “I think it was Miss Oklahoma and we ended up spending the night together and in the middle of the sex, it was like a hot dog splitting and you know, I found myself in the emergency room with my penis in my hand waiting to be stitched up.”
    The injury was caused by his drug use and excessive sex, and so Negron put the story in his book so others might learn from his mistakes.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My first concert was 3DN, how lame is that? There were interminable drum and keyboard solos which was great preparation for my concert career. Now, what's this about Chuck's exploding junk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Yeah, I hadn't heard this either. I did a Google search and found this:

The candid Negron said “I think it was Miss Oklahoma and we ended up spending the night together and in the middle of the sex, it was like a hot dog splitting and you know, I found myself in the emergency room with my penis in my hand waiting to be stitched up.”
    The injury was caused by his drug use and excessive sex, and so Negron put the story in his book so others might learn from his mistakes.
    I know about it from when Negron was a guest on Howard Stern. It was hilarious. According to him, he was going from bedroom to bedroom, and people had put a groupie in each room for him. Howard Stern was of course amused to no end by this story.

Three Dog Shite more like.

terrible stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    I played their first two LP's a lot. My guitar teacher told me to forget that 'crap' and listen to Albert King and Jimi Hendrix.
    That's a lousy attitude for a teacher. He/she ought to instruct/help you in the direction you want to go in.

My first TDN album was a comp, Golden Bisquits, which I wore down to nothing. Loved Fire Eater and The Holy Church which were on later albums. At the time, I was also into the live Rare Earth album. My first taste of music.
    The older I get, the better I was.

They were part of the cool 60's/early 70's AM radio experience for me. I liked most of their songs that got radio play - though I eventually came to hate Joy to the World because it was so overplayed - but not enough to buy Golden Biscuits or any other album
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I had Harmony, Cyan, and am pretty sure I had Seven Separate Fools. probably had some 45's too. I remember playing them on a one-speaker record player just inside my closet door. Them and GFR & my sister's Beatles albums
    I also had a shirt very similar to the one Corey Wells wore here.

Last edited by davis; 07-17-2014 at 01:00 PM.

I always like 3DN. Great singers and cool arrangements. The band was better than average with some really cool intros to their songs. All great singers, but, IMO, Cory Wells is the best (because he's bluesier) and can still bring it home after all these years.

Biggest-selling band worldwide between 1970 and 73.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

It always amazes me how a band or artist can be so huge and then a few years later almost completely forgotten.

I was never a TDN fan per se, but because Hoyt Axton was a friend of mine in the mid 60s in SoCal and they made him a lot of money by recording "Joy To The World" & "Never Been To Spain", both his songs, I will never dis them.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

^'Never Been To Spain' was also done by Elvis throughout 1972. I love that song, and his version is the first I heard, for 3DN are a US phenomena that never really meant much in the UK. I think 'Mama Told Me Not To Come' was the biggest hit here.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    It always amazes me how a band or artist can be so huge and then a few years later almost completely forgotten.
    They are forgotten until you hear their songs on the radio or from someone's iPod. I have their albums on mine, and when their songs come up, all the friends start singing along.

Not many bands last beyond a five year period, give or take a couple. They either disappear or re-make themselves. Think about it. The Beatles only had a nine year career, and were only popular in America for five until they broke up. Of course, they are NOT forgotten.

Alice Cooper's peak lasted only about five years, and he was as hot as anyone back in the day. Elton John had a 5-6 year run before disappearing for many years, and Elton sold out stadiums. Not sure how many bands were able to sustain their popularity for more than 7-10 years, but there are only a handful.

Actually, Elton still plays stadiums, though I'm not sure if he sells them out - but he's still big enough to make stadium play profitable.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Had everything up until Seven Separate Fools, which seemed to me like such a drop-off in quality that I got off the train at that point (was already thinking about getting off when the Harmony album came out, which seemed pretty forgettable at the time) - but the debut, Suitable For Framing, Captured Live, It Ain't Easy and Naturally - totally love them all, unapologetically. Great vocal arrangements, truly great rock playing from the musicians. Michael Allsup is a wicked good lead guitarist with a great tone. In later days, my often-drummer Joe Travers would try to sell me on Seven Separate Fools and later albums, and I have heard and enjoyed later material, but that initial run of five albums is still magical to me. Granted some of that is sentimental nostalgia, but what the hell, I'll take a good time wherever I can get it.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Actually, Elton still plays stadiums, though I'm not sure if he sells them out - but he's still big enough to make stadium play profitable.
    Elton has no problems selling out stadia.

Three Dog Night, on the other hand... there was a time when they were pretty popular here, but these days I doubt they could sell out the North Perth Lawn Bowls Club.

Loved them in the day and this day discussing them brings back fond memories.

Carnack the magnificent "Three Dog Night"

Describe a bad night for a tree.

Backing the early 70's I was bombarded with all different kinds of rock music on the radio. Three dog night had many catchy takes on the songs they covered. Can't say I find them to be great, but they were a part of my past growing up and I still enjoy hearing many of their songs.

I liked them well enough back in the 70s. My mom and I actually saw them in concert when I was 19. They were one of few "big name" bands to travel all the way up to Fairbanks back in those days.
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain