Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Procol Harum

Suspended

Procol Harum

There doesn't seem to be specific PH thread, so I'm starting one.

A friend of mine is a big PH fan, hence I have heard various bits of their albums over the years. Their best songs are excellent, their worst ones are still interesting for their oddness. I've had the chance recently to hear the following in full:

A Whiter Shade of Pale (a.k.a. "self-titled")
    A Salty Dog
    Grand Hotel
    Procol's Ninth
    Something Magic

I used to think Grand Hotel was their best, but after some of the dross that appeared on Ninth I was pleasantly surprised by Something Magic, which to me has more of a "prog" feel than any of the others. I guess what I mean by that is that some parts of the album have similarities to bits of classic-era Genesis and the like. There seems to be much more emphasis on melodies than on just quirky rhythms and orchestration, as is the case with some of the earlier songs. "The Worm and the Tree" in particular fits the description of prog epic.

On a sour note, whatever possessed the band to cover Lennon/McCartney's "Eight Days a Week"? It doesn't suit them at all, and just sounds lame.
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 04-25-2015 at 09:54 AM.

Live With the Edmonton Symphony is the place to start from a prog perspective I believe. It has their one "big prog epic" in an orchestrated version, and one of their best extended tracks, "Whaling Stories", along with some of their best shorter songs ("A Salty Dog" etc.)

I saw the band (that is, Gary Brooker & co, no other members from the 60s/70s but guitarist Geoff Whitehorn is a veteran of the 70s UK scene and has been with PH for over 20 years now) perform in Paris early this month and, while a little ragged at times, they delivered a great performance (including versions of "Grand Hotel" and "Whaling Stories") with Brooker still in glorious vocal form. There was something nicely spontaneous about the performance - at one point a guy in the hall shouted "A Rum Tale" and they decided to play it, a little rough to begin with but eventually really beautiful. This was my first time seeing them and that was a really nice time.
    Last edited by calyx; 07-16-2014 at 05:37 AM.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

"A Salty Dog" remains one of the most beautiful 'pop' songs written by anyone - ever. IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    "A Salty Dog" remains one of the most beautiful 'pop' songs written by anyone - ever. IMO.
    Definitely

Brooker is the only remnant of the original band these days, but he is still an amazing performer and the band definitely does the catalog justice.

And another vote for the Edmonton Symphony album as one of their finer moments.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    For me, Procol Harum is one the few progressive rock-bands from the 70s that were actually better songwriters than they were at making coherent albums. So in the end I like none of their albums, but a lot of their songs.

But don't mind me if you're a collector. You'll need "Broken Barricades" though. The opening-track Simple Sister is just gorgeous:

Big fan here. In each of my two flats I have the entire PH CD catalogue on the shelves) To the beginner I'd recommend the first 5 albums - all definitive classics.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    - at one point a guy in the hall shouted "A Rum's Tale" and they decided to play it, a little rough to begin with but eventually really beautiful. This was my first time seeing them and that was a really nice time.
    "A Rum Tale" is one of my favourites.

My top 6 studio LPs (though I've heard nothing after Grand Hotel):

1) Broken Barricades
    2) Shine On Brightly
    3) s/t
    4) Home
    5) Grand Hotel
    6) A Salty Dog

Saw them a half-dozen times in the late 60s/70s; a great "live" band.

And props to the generally unheralded BJ Wilson.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

SInce it hasn't been mentioned, Exotic Birds & Fruit is pretty wonderful-- to my mind side one is perfect from start to finish, and side two is quite enjoyable.

You've already heard the worst album (Something Magic), so its uphill from here!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    For me, Procol Harum is one the few progressive rock-bands from the 70s that were actually better songwriters than they were at making coherent albums. So in the end I like none of their albums, but a lot of their songs.

You'll need "Broken Barricades" though.
    This is generally true, keeping in mind that late-60s psychedelia was marked by eclecticism. So, you commonly got a mixture of different styles on an album, which constrained any sense of unity or "coherence." That coherence is approached with Home and achieved, as I think you imply, with Broken Barricades.

in order:

Whiter Shade (debut) - this edges SOB for more excellent tracks
    Shine On Brightly - without In' Twas and Moonbeams, this albulm would be much lower-ranked
    Home - a few lesser tracks, but a bunch of excellent
    Broken Barricades - uneven as well
    Salty Dog - the flipside much more than the first one

Hors-concours:
    Live at Edmonton
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    in order:

Whiter Shade (debut) - this edges SOB for more excellent tracks
    Shine On Brightly - without In' Twas and Moonbeams, this albulm would be much lower-ranked
    Home - a few lesser tracks, but a bunch of excellent
    Broken Barricades - uneven as well
    Salty Dog - the flipside much more than the first one

Hors-concours:
    Live at Edmonton
    I'm really not into Procol Mk2....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post

Grand Hotel - I wonder if the organist has thought of claiming a co-writer credit.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    My top 6 studio LPs (though I've heard nothing after Grand Hotel):

1) Broken Barricades
    2) Shine On Brightly
    3) s/t
    4) Home
    5) Grand Hotel
    6) A Salty Dog

Saw them a half-dozen times in the late 60s/70s; a great "live" band.

I agree with this in it's entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Bulldozer View Post
    Grand Hotel - I wonder if the organist has thought of claiming a co-writer credit.
    Copping the credit, you mean?

I love all their albums up through Procol's Ninth...though my faves are the one's with Robin Trower...and Gary Brooker has one of the great voices in rock history
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

I have all their albums, as well as a singles compilation and a rarities compilation. Every album has gems on it. (And three live DVDs.)

There is only one logical stopping place once one started collecting them.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 07-15-2014 at 07:16 PM.

If you love the live Edmonton Symphony Orchestra CD, which I do immensely, they did another live CD and DVD with a Danish orchestra in 2009 that is also splendid.

btw avoid the Salvo reissues if you want decent sound. Loud, heavily compresssed, bizarrely EQ'ed garbage.

I think that Whiskey Train is a good classic.... in my younger days, I was more of a rocker and the guitar and cow bell in that song always moved me.

Jim

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I saw PH back up Jethro Tull a few years back. Talk about vocal contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    Gary Brooker has one of the great voices in rock history.
    Agreed. Within the scope of "Prog" I rank him third after Roger Chapman and Arthur Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by jkleban View Post
    I think that Whiskey Train is a good classic.... in my younger days, I was more of a rocker and the guitar and cow bell in that song always moved me.

Jim
    I saw a live video of this, and what shocked me was that the cowbell was not an overdub-- BJ Wilson played it in real time with the rest of the kit. Amazing.

I've addressed this before here, but it sure would be nice if someone would gain control of their catalogue and release everything again. A lot of their albums are OOP.

That's a bummer.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.