Thread: Happy Family - Minimal Gods

Happy Family - Minimal Gods

Cuneiform has posted a new track from the album due in late September.

Can't wait.

I'm psyched!! Sounds like they've improved their production values, too.

I love the album "Toscco" and find the poor production values to be part of it's charm. But, yeah, this sounds really slickly produced.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Awesome, they sound like drums now instead of trash can lids
    I dig how the drums (especially the cymbals) sound on those earlier Happy Family albums. I guess YMMV.

- Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    I dig how the drums (especially the cymbals) sound on those earlier Happy Family albums.
    Toscco sports one of the most awesome drum sounds I caught during the entire 90s; this dude literally crashes through the whole set. That, the stingy zeuhl-style bass and those cutting and deliberately harsh synth-piano effects is what gives their music such an overwhelming impression of charge and attack, IMO - and excludes it from the "metal" confinement.

Can't wait to get this suckuh.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Really looking forward to this.
    I have to say, as a big fan of both the previous albums, I have never noticed anything about the production that remotely bothered me. I think they both sound fantastic.

I hope this is not the best track !!!! And I prefer their earlier sound ... But I'm still in a hurry to get it !

I dig. Will be mine come September
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

There seems to be a limited release with a second one track CD

SUPER excited!!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Cool. Always enjoyed the first album, though I haven't heard the second one. Will have to pick this one up.

I'm probably a little behind the curve, but this album arrived today in my most recent Laser's Edge order. Holy freaking crap is this a good album. Maybe I was just in the mood or something, but this album clicked for me almost instantly. Utterly fantastic playing and the compositions to me are really interesting. Complex, but totally rocking and grooving! Great sound too, nice deep bass. I figured I'd like this album, but I wasn't expecting to get knocked over the head this way. To me, they totally upped their game on this release. A home run in my book, can't wait to spin it again!

Bill

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Cuneiform has posted a new track from the album due in late September.

Can't wait.
    I like this comment:

Isolated Cockpit says at 0:36:
    this makes my balls itch!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    It's very good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I just heared it for the first time and have to say, I love it. Really a very good Album.

Getting this real soon.

Listened to Toscco for the first time in quite a while just the other day, and it has lost none of its enormous power. That album sounds essentially as if recorded live in the studio, and this wouldn't surprise me one bit. But I'm not going to check out any samples from Minimal Gods - I want the whole thing blazing in my living room and entertaining the neighbours. They're huge Ricky Martin fans.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This would be another band I've put in the holding pattern for a number of years - I think it's time to uncork them... this sounds killer. Thanks for the kick in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Really looking forward to this.
    I have to say, as a big fan of both the previous albums, I have never noticed anything about the production that remotely bothered me. I think they both sound fantastic.
    same here. The sound of the first two Happy Family albums had a huge impact on me; like all of a sudden you could make proggy music, but also be thrashy, dirty, almost punky. Hard to describe, but HF were almost *richly* lo-fi-- never understood why so many prog bands have to sound so pristine on record.

^^Completely agree with this. Toscco is just loaded with raw, gutteral power and kinetic energy. I wouldn't change a thing. It's time that I got the new one.

neil