Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ELP - Unknown Ballad

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think someone posted a track list from the new edition and it DID include Unknown Ballad, which I would think means they did somehow confirm it's ELP.
    Wouldn't at least the songwriter(s) have to be credited in order to include the song on an album?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Laura

Some of those preliminary Amazon tracklists have been wrong lately so I wouldn't draw conclusions about "Unknown Ballad" until the CDs arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Some of those preliminary Amazon tracklists have been wrong lately so I wouldn't draw conclusions about "Unknown Ballad" until the CDs arrive.
    I won't be disappointed if the CD doesn't include Unknown Ballad.

I'll post a picture of it when it arrives.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    Wouldn't at least the songwriter(s) have to be credited in order to include the song on an album?
    Not necessarily--they could have registered it as "Unknown/Copyright Control." But in fact it's credited "Emerson/Lake/Palmer."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

I got the latest Tarkus reissue today.

Unknown Ballad is credited to all 3.

Laura

Just a guess but....Lake was producing Spontaneous Combustion around that time. Listen to this ballad, it sounds like it could be the same guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rlbk-TqZ7g

The credits above also credit only Emerson for writing "Bitches Crystal", so I would
    have doubts about the "Unknown Ballad".

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    The credits above also credit only Emerson for writing "Bitches Crystal", so I would
    I agree. I don't think Emerson ever wrote any lyrics.

Laura

The Enemy God
    Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Just a guess but....Lake was producing Spontaneous Combustion around that time. Listen to this ballad, it sounds like it could be the same guy:

This does sound very similar and may well be the mystery solved......

That does sound very similar.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    Yes, on my copy of the LP "Bitches Crystal" and "The Only Way" are credited to Emerson and Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Yes, on my copy of the LP "Bitches Crystal" and "The Only Way" are credited to Emerson and Lake.
    Even the first pressing of the Wilson remix has Lake's credit on those two songs. Can't imagine why that was changed while the misinformation for "Unknown Ballad" was left in place.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Even the first pressing of the Wilson remix has Lake's credit on those two songs. Can't imagine why that was changed while the misinformation for "Unknown Ballad" was left in place.
    The liner notes on the center of the booklet with the William Neal drawings credit Greg Lake with all of the lyrics. So the rest of the credits, other than the "Unknown Ballad" are probably correct in that those are credits for the music or arrangements.

Laura

So someone revised the credit from the album art to remove Lake's name after "The Only Way" (and I guess "Bitches Crystal" not shown in the photo above), interesting.

Meanwhile we wait for an explanation of why "Unknown Ballad" is back.

The mystery on this is solved: Gary Margetts of Spontaneous Combustion just confirmed on Facebook that it was him doing a demo for the band.

The mystery on this is solved: Gary Margetts of Spontaneous Combustion just confirmed on Facebook that it was him doing a demo for the band.
    Do you have a link to this?

well sleuthed. looks like we will need another(#67854929) reissue!

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Finally! Thanks!
    Tris Margetts (also in Spontaneous Combustion) posted this at the Facebook link:

In about 1970 Greg invited us to Advision studios where ELP were recording (Tarkus I think) . Keith and Carl had to leave early, which left some vacant studio time available, about two hours. Greg had the idea of using this time to put down, what turns out to be, the "Unknown Ballad" . There was no prior knowledge or arrangement, (it was literally "Spontaneous" ) nothing prepared. The singer is definitely my brother Gary Margetts. I (Tris Margetts) put down a simple bass track and I think Greg played piano and we all sang backing vox including Tony Brock our drummer. I can't remember if the song idea was Greg's or Gary's.
    When we were waiting in the control room, (ELP were rehearsing Tarkus I think ,but can't be sure ) Eddie Offord told us he had just finished the final mix of what was a rather handy up and coming band, would we like to hear it ......It was the Yes Album...... In Advision.........Quite some experience for a 15 year old kid!!!!! 47 years later, well, all I can say is, it was one of the good days.

The answer seems to be in the youtube comments on that video:

"tristram margetts1 month ago
    In about 1970 Greg invited us to Advision studios where ELP were recording (Tarkus I think) . Keith and Carl had to leave early, which left some vacant studio time available, about two hours. Greg had the idea of using this time to put down, what turns out to be, the "Unknown Ballad" . There was no prior knowledge or arrangement, (it was literally "Spontaneous" ) nothing prepared. The singer is definitely my brother Gary Margetts. I (Tris Margetts) put down a simple bass track and I think Greg played piano and we all sang backing vox including Tony Brock our drummer. I can't remember if the song idea was Greg's or Gary's.
    When we were waiting in the control room, (ELP were rehearsing Tarkus I think ,but can't be sure ) Eddie Offord told us he had just finished the final mix of what was a rather handy up and coming band, would we like to hear it ......It was the Yes Album...... In Advision.........Quite some experience for a 15 year old kid!!!!! 47 years later, well, all I can say is, it was one of the good days."

Is this true?