Thread: Chicago "Now"

Chicago "Now"

The new Chicago album "Now" was released a few days ago. It's been hailed as a return to form by many and I agree that it's their best album of new material in many many years. However, I was kind of shocked when reading the credits that the original horn section only plays together as a unit on 2 songs and that many session players were used for the rest. Pankow plays on about half of the cuts with Walter P very little. Very few horn arrangements are credited to the horn players.

The opening song "Now" basically features Jason Scheff and a legion of session people and Keith Howland playing the guitar solo. Most of the rest feature at least 4 of the band members though some are in a diminished capacity.

I really like the album, I was just surprised that it wasn't more of a group effort. When I listen to a Chicago album I would like to hear the legendary 3 original horn players at least. I think it's a bit odd that a big percentage of the horn parts aren't even supplied by the members, as the band is so defined by the horns.

Their last album, XXX, had more session players than YES "Union".
    Last edited by the winter tree; 07-13-2014 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    The new Chicago album "Now" was released a few days ago. It's been hailed as a return to form by many and I agree that it's their best album of new material in many many years. However, I was kind of shocked when reading the credits that the original horn section only plays together as a unit on 2 songs and that many session players were used for the rest. Pankow plays on about half of the cuts with Walter P very little. Very few horn arrangements are credited to the horn players.

The opening song "Now" basically features Jason Scheff and a legion of session people and Keith Howland playing the guitar solo.

I really like the album, I was just surprised that it wasn't more of a group effort. When I listen to a Chicago album I would like to hear the legendary 3 original horn players at least. I think it's a bit deceitful to advertise it as a big comeback and not mention that a big percentage of the horn parts aren't even supplied by the members, as the band is so defined by the horns.

Their last album, XXX, had more session players than YES "Union".
    From the description and interviews in this video, they describe this album-making process as a "disjointed way to work":

Also - credits list Trent Gardner as the package and graphics designer. Anyone know if that is the same Trent Gardner from Magellan?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    From the description and interviews in this video, they describe this album-making process as a "disjointed way to work":

Also - credits list Trent Gardner as the package and graphics designer. Anyone know if that is the same Trent Gardner from Magellan?
    The same. He also produced some of Lamm's recent stuff. He wrote a horn chart on one track for the new album.

Haven't heard it yet. It's on the way from Germany along with the vinyl for Asia, Yes and Uriah Heep. I'm looking forward to it.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Kay & I were lucky enough to see Chicago last summer at Ravinia outside their hometown, with Walt, Lee & Jimmy all onstage playing the entire gig.

I have never been a huge Chicago fan. although I think to this day that CTA is one of the best debut albums ever. But Lamm, Scheff & the horns live was magical!

Think I need to listen to "Now".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I agree CTA is amazing. I saw Chicago and Earth, Wind and Fire maybe 10 years ago or less. Chicago played all the hits, good playing, so boring.
    I keep waiting for the California Transit Authority to play a date in the Bay Area.

Its great that Robert Lamm is the main contributor again after being in the back seat for so long. Now if only the horn section could show up ghat would be great.
    Last edited by the winter tree; 07-14-2014 at 11:41 PM.

I need to pick this up, but I am disappointed to hear about all the session players. I heard the album was recorded on the road, with the guys setting up in whatever available space they could find. But I didn't realize they were all, or mostly, recording separately and gluing their pieces together. And I had no idea they were bringing in loads of outside performers.

I haven't seen Chicago in concert, but I hear there are guys who travel with the band and sub for members of the horn section quite regularly, so that you never know from night to night if you're going to see the original three onstage. Are some of the guys ill? Can they just not keep up with the touring pace anymore? Curious if anyone knows.

Most of the songs feature the core of Lammed Scheff Tristan Howland but there are also many session guys. The way Chicago was talking about it over the last 6 months or so I assumed it was a total group effort. I was very surprised when I read the liner notes.

I saw them a few years ago and I was lucky to see the 3 original horn guys and they kicked ass. I wonder if Walter is ill?

I just picked this up along with the Nashville Sessions and the DVD of their 2011 tour. All for $20. I like Now but I am also surprised with all of the session players. If you're on the road together, why do you need any session players? And two thumbs down for the cover. It's not a return to form but a solid album from one of my favorites.

For the Chicago fans, the Nashville Sessions are a rerecording by the current band of a bunch of their hits. It's sticks very close to the originals, so while it is all good, I don't really see the point. I was hoping for a reinterpretation of these songs. Should have checked into it before I bought it.
    Last edited by Tangram; 07-17-2014 at 10:44 PM.

Just curious, in Chicago's case, what exactley is "a return to form?" What is "the form?" Stone Of Sisyphus was supposed to be a return to form. I heard a few songs from it (SOS) and it just sounded like the usual Chicago, polished pop.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Just curious, in Chicago's case, what exactley is "a return to form?" What is "the form?" Stone Of Sisyphus was supposed to be a return to form. I heard a few songs from it (SOS) and it just sounded like the usual Chicago, polished pop.
    At this point for Chicago I think "return to form" means not doing ALL love songs and no Christmas songs or songs entirely written by outside writers or production from a country band