Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Wishbone Ash : Argus

FEATURED CD - Wishbone Ash : Argus

Per Allmusic:
    If Wishbone Ash can be considered a group who dabbled in the main strains of early-'70s British rock without ever settling on one (were they a prog rock outfit like Yes, a space rock unit like Pink Floyd, a heavy metal ensemble like Led Zeppelin, or just a boogie band like Ten Years After?), the confusion compounded by their relative facelessness and the generic nature of their compositions, Argus, their third album, was the one on which they looked like they finally were going to forge their own unique amalgamation of all those styles into a sound of their own. The album boasted extended compositions, some of them ("Time Was," "Sometime World") actually medleys of different tunes, played with assurance and developing into imaginative explorations of new musical territory and group interaction. The lyrics touched on medieval themes ("The King Will Come," "Warrior") always popular with British rock bands, adding a majestic tone to the music, but it was the arrangements, with their twin lead guitar parts and open spaces for jamming, that made the songs work so well. Argus was a bigger hit in the U.K., where it reached the Top Five, than in the U.S., where it set up the commercial breakthrough enjoyed by the band's next album, Wishbone Four, but over the years it came to be seen as the quintessential Wishbone Ash recording, the one that best realized the group's complex vision.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/argus-mw0000267493

Regards,

Duncan

It was with this album that in "music appreciation" club, a high school teacher (!!) taught me the finer points of appreciating something other than classical music.

It didn't make him popular with the school administration, but wherever he may be today, Peter Southey has my eternal thanks...
    Regards,

Duncan

Not a huge fan of this album, or the band but I have Argus and the first album. I like the first album better to be honest. I once owned Wishbone Four and eventually got rid of it. I just didn't care for the songs and it didn't rock hard enough. I love the harmony guitar leads and I know they were very influential to Steve Harris (Iron Maiden) but really, there are only a few songs that I really dig by this band. The King Will Come is still my favorite track from Argus, and my overall favorite song by WA.

Of the studio LPs I prefer Pilgrim, but it's close. Caught them a few times in the early 70s ( I seem to recall a saxophonist at one of these gigs)....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Nothing but positive things to say about Argus, one of the best albums from the 70's , a stone cold classic.

A brilliant album from start to finish. Also a classic example of how one album becomes a millstone as they never quite matched it again, creatively or commercially. 'Blowin' Free' has some of my favourite guitar soloing ever, 'Time Was' is a great slow-burning opening track and 'The King Will Come' has that big iconic riff. Just one of the best 70s rock albums for me.

I will, however, agree with Mo that 'Pilgrimage' is overlooked- that one shows off their instrumental prowess much more than any other album they did.

Saw them live recently. They played Argus in its entirety. Have to love it. Big WA fan, though not so much the Laurie Wisefield period. Illuminations from 96 is a favorite of later WA.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Nothing but positive things to say about Argus, one of the best albums from the 70's , a stone cold classic.
    This!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

One of the very first records I bought. All times classic!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Never was interested in Wishbone Ash. No keyboards, no Rarebird.

Great album, that was also well recorded.

Back in the day, Live Dates was my favorite WA.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

A true classic. Awesome Album.

Only topped by "Live Dates".

"Leaf and Stream", is gorgeous.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    yup

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    One of the very first records I bought. All times classic!
    one of my first 10 or 15 as well
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    This is a really nice album, and a great expression of '70s rock. It's definitely worth checking out and taking some time with.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

One of these days I have to make a playlist of acts that thrived on tasty guitar licks: stuff like Thin Lizzy, BOC, Be Bop Deluxe, and of course Wishbone Ash.

Pilgrimage is a great album but Argus was the beast. That lovely intro to Time Was just ratchets up the tension before they cut loose, the equally epic The King Will Come, the one-two punch of Warrior and Throw Down the Sword. This is just great album rock.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    Of the studio LPs I prefer Pilgrim, but it's close. Caught them a few times in the early 70s ( I seem to recall a saxophonist at one of these gigs)....
    Without looking, I think Wishbone Four had sax on it.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The first album and Argus have the best the band did. Saw them at the Hollywood Palladium before Live Dates came out.

this album cover is where Lucas got his idea for Darth Vader
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    The first album and Argus have the best the band did. Saw them at the Hollywood Palladium before Live Dates came out.
    Yup, Pilgrimage never did as much for me as the debut and Argus

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Seriously??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Lawsuit?
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

One of my favorite albums of all times, great album to jam to. Very progressive in its day in my opinion. Love it

really enjoy this one. I agree Leaf and Stream is lovely. Not a weak song on it IMO. I haven't heard Pilgrimage yet but should pick it up. I have heeded the warning that all other albums should be avoided. Too bad they didn't do more like Argus.

I did not discover this band until almost 30 years after this album came out, but for me "Argus" is a stone cold classic of the 70's. Great great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Without looking, I think Wishbone Four had sax on it.
    Phil Kenzie, Dave Coxhill and Bud Parks – horn section on "No Easy Road". Not a tragedy.