Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: BLT (The sandwich, not the band)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Seriously?
    Yes. Where is it etched in stone that I can't slather mayo on my dog?

Sub(marine)
    Hoagie
    Grinder
    Hero (NYC only, pretty much)
    Po' Boy/Muffaletta

any more?....
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Howa 'bout "Gyro?" I know, it's pronounced "hero." Now there's a nice sammich type thing that goes great with mayo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Howa 'bout "Gyro?" I know, it's pronounced "hero." Now there's a nice sammich type thing that goes great with mayo.
    Mayo on a Gyro? Naw, it's the tzatziki sauce that makes it, which is made with yogurt and cucmbers.
    Best/peace, Steve

If you are going to include gyros then tacos, wraps and burritos should be included as well
    Normal people are just people you don't know very well.

Almost by definition, a sub/hoagie/grinder etc. must be made on either Italian or French bread long loaves. No taco, wraps, burritos etc.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Don't they eat french fries with mayo in Canada ??
    I lived with some hosers at one time. It's not true that they put beer on their cereal in the mornings.
    Canada's top fries accompaniement are either gravy (see Quebec'spoutine), vinegar (also a UK thing), with ketchup rounding out the top three

Mayo on fries is more of a Franco-Benelux thing (though Dutch mayo is rather sweet)
    Last edited by Trane; 12-08-2012 at 12:56 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Almost by definition, a sub/hoagie/grinder etc. must be made on either Italian or French bread long loaves. No taco, wraps, burritos etc.
    I did say if gyros were considered. Also by your definition muffalettas would not count as well as the muffalleta bread is a round loaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp View Post
    I did say if gyros were considered. Also by your definition muffalettas would not count as well as the muffalleta bread is a round loaf.
    Muffs can be either on round rolls or in a chunk of Italian or French long loaves. There is a Madison restaurant, New Orleans Take Out, owned by a transplanted NO Cajun chef (wife from here), who makes both Po' Boys and Muffs on French long loaves, and says that's common down there as well.

Gyros? Fuggeddaboudit.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Muffs can be either on round rolls or in a chunk of Italian or French long loaves. There is a Madison restaurant, New Orleans Take Out, owned by a transplanted NO Cajun chef (wife from here), who makes both Po' Boys and Muffs on French long loaves, and says that's common down there as well.

Gyros? Fuggeddaboudit.
    Hmm all the Muffs that I have had both in New Orleans and elsewhere have been on round Muffaletta loaves which really have a distinct flavor and texture from typical french long loaves. I would argue that what you are describing would more properly be called a Muffaletta poboy.

BTW.. I agree on the Gyros

meimjustalawnmower
    A hot dog with mayo?

Seriously?

Dude.....
    In Vic's defense, I've been known to add a little mayo to keep the bun moist. Nothin' worse than a dry hot dog bun. Sometimes I mix mayo and yellow mustard for a tangy sauce.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Grinder, hero, po'boy...
    I used to get roast beef po-boys (dressed) from a foodstand in New Orleans when I was a kid. Best sandwiches in the world.

Don't they eat french fries with mayo in Canada ??
    In France and Holland too.

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar
    I Always eat fries with mayo (depending on availability). Otherwise, i'll have ketchup, but I do prefer mayo. Hellman's in particular, i just love it.

The only food that truly requires ketchup (a tradition in my family) is tourtière (meat pie). That's a must 'round the holidays, along with the cranberry jelly (atocas) and the turkey with the yummy stuffing.

Back to the original subject, BLT is indeed a fine sammich, and I douse that mofo with Hellman's. Nice alternate touch is to use baby spinach, gives it a little additional zing.

Robert

Vincent: You know what they put on French fries in Holland instead of ketchup?

Jules: What?

Vincent: Mayonnaise.

Jules: Goddamn.

Vincent: I've seen 'em do it, man. They fuckin' drown 'em in that shit.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

meimjustalawnmower
    "What do they call a Whopper?" The response was the funniest line in the movie, imo.

"I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Salt & Vinegar is what I have on my chips!

McDonald did a commercial especially for Belgium spoofing that movie for a buger called McDeluxe, where the mayo was heavily miustarded
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    I used to get roast beef po-boys (dressed) from a foodstand in New Orleans when I was a kid. Best sandwiches in the world.
    I am sorry, but the best Po' Boy does not stand a chance against a great Cuban sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Canada's top fries accompaniement are either gravy (see Quebec'spoutine), vinegar (also a UK thing), with ketchup rounding out the top three

Mayo on fries is more of a Franco-Benelux thing (though Dutch mayo is rather sweet)
    I also like vinegar with Old Bay on my fries. Another interesting thing I found to dip your fries in is tarter sauce.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    I am sorry, but the best Po' Boy does not stand a chance against a great Cuban sandwich.
    Don't be sorry. I love a good Cuban sandwich, too. But 'round here we call it a ham n' cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by enpdllp View Post
    Cuban sandwich FTW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by meimjustalawnmower View Post
    Don't be sorry. I love a good Cuban sandwich, too. But 'round here we call it a ham n' cheese.
    No, no, no!

You have to have the yellow mustard, pork, and pickles! It's not just a ham 'n' cheese!!!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Yeah. Ya can't get a good Cuban sandwich outside of Florida.

Well, maybe in Cuba.

Ham and cheese ? Sounds like lame and lamer. Better off with a BLT.

meimjustalawnmower
    No, no, no!

You have to have the yellow mustard, pork, and pickles! It's not just a ham 'n' cheese!!!
    So what part am I doing wrong?

Yeah. Ya can't get a good Cuban sandwich outside of Florida.

Well, maybe in Cuba.
    FWIW, very good to great Cuban sandwiches could be found in NJ, NY and Puerto Rico.

I do not think there has been a decent Cuban sandwich served in Cuba for quite a few decades.