Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Proud Peasant - Flight

Proud Peasant - Flight

I'm in love with this debut CD from Texas-based band Proud Peasant. Their music sounds more like it would come from Scandinavia, and indeed I'm reminded of bands like Wobbler and Gösta Berlings Saga... but this is a unique album and one I'd highly recommend to most of us here at PE. Certainly to fans of the quirky symphonic instrumental stuff a la the bands I mentioned (and more).

I first heard it on Progstreaming and I was taken enough with it to immediately order it. Three long tracks of yummy prog goodness! This will definitely be on my Best Of 2014 list. Do yourself the favour and check out this album. Very reasonably priced at Lasers Edge, Wayside, CD Baby, amazon, etc.

http://www.proudpeasant.com

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pag...asant+-+Flight

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

my first listen was very promising. good debut!

My CD copy is here and I plan on hearing it tonight most likely. Looking forward to it!

Nice to see a couple of responses so far, at least. I hope this thread isn't ignored, I really think a lot of people here would dig this album.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

This is on my list to get. By its description it should be right up my alley. I've sampled it a bit and I have a few reservations about some parts, but am encouraged enough to give it a go.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    This is on my list to get. By its description it should be right up my alley. I've sampled it a bit and I have a few reservations about some parts, but am encouraged enough to give it a go.
    I'd like to hear your thoughts when you get it!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'm in love with this debut CD from Texas-based band Proud Peasant. Their music sounds more like it would come from Scandinavia, and indeed I'm reminded of bands like Wobbler and Gösta Berlings Saga... but this is a unique album and one I'd highly recommend to most of us here at PE. Certainly to fans of the quirky symphonic instrumental stuff a la the bands I mentioned (and more).

I first heard it on Progstreaming and I was taken enough with it to immediately order it. Three long tracks of yummy prog goodness! This will definitely be on my Best Of 2014 list. Do yourself the favour and check out this album. Very reasonably priced at Lasers Edge, Wayside, CD Baby, amazon, etc.

http://www.proudpeasant.com

http://www.progstreaming.com/_wb/pag...asant+-+Flight

I listened to some of this on Progstreaming last week and thought it sounded quite good.

Do you consider Gosta Berling's Saga to be symphonic? I might need to listen again - it's been a while.

Great music, no surprise, being a fan of Gosta Berling Saga.

Should be in my hands in the next couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Do you consider Gosta Berling's Saga to be symphonic? I might need to listen again - it's been a while.
    I suppose a kind of dark symphonic, yeah, but they are all over the board. I love all three of their CDs, hoping for a new one soon! Killer stuff.

I don't mean to suggest Proud Peasant sound like just them, just that they are one of the bands I am reminded of throughout this album.

Do you consider Gosta Berling's Saga to be symphonic?
    No, but neither were Yes, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, PFM or those other usual suspects normally discussed in here. They were just a bunch of rock and sometimes pop bands. Symphonic would be more like, you know, James Last - or Yanni sporting a philharmonic orchestra.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    No, but neither were Yes, Genesis, ELP, King Crimson, PFM or those other usual suspects normally discussed in here. They were just a bunch of rock and sometimes pop bands. Symphonic would be more like, you know, James Last - or Yanni sporting a philharmonic orchestra.
    Maybe I meant "Sympho."

Maybe I meant "Sympho."
    Gösta Berlings Saga have sorta founded their own crossover sub-subgenre, namely Zeuhlpho. It's the new thing, garnering attention from all over and spreading the word faster than you can utter Heaven and Earth'n shit.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Or there's Necromonkrock.

Or there's Necromonkrock.
    Are they one of Willy Sherwood's projects? Is McGuire involved? MacGyver?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Are they one of Willy Sherwood's projects? Is McGuire involved? MacGyver?
    It's a new genre spearheaded by Necromonkey with guidance from Trevor Horn.

This is on my list to get. By its description it should be right up my alley. I've sampled it a bit and I have a few reservations about some parts, but am encouraged enough to give it a go.Bill
    If someone told me this was a 1972 Scandinavian release, I would have believed them.

Some of it also reminds me of Ennio Morricone spaghetti western music.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    If someone told me this was a 1972 Scandinavian release, I would have believed them.

I like it!

I like it! Buono

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Good call! I can totally hear that. I'm really pleased that people are taking to it!

Wow, from right here in Austin, Texas, and I've never heard of them!! Time to check them out...

Just skimmed the samples really quickly here at work. It initially reminds me of a lighter, more symph-oriented Pangée; right down to having 3 long instrumental tracks and possibly remaining just as obscure over time...

I'll have to play the entire disc to see if it's something I'll get any mileage out of it.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Got this tonight and gave it a first spin. My first impression is sadly that my reservations about the album were right and that it really doesn't deliver the goods for me. The vocal sections, and instrumental sections that are like the vocal sections, which are many, just kill it to my ears. The entire second track, 20 minutes of the album, is virtually unlistenable to me. The third track is my favorite, but even that has a lot of dead weight.

I'll obviously give it more spins and try to acclimate to it, but the prognosis isn't good. Oh well.

Bill

Reminds me a bit of Kebnekaise too.
    To me the third track is the best of the three.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Got this tonight and gave it a first spin. My first impression is sadly that my reservations about the album were right and that it really doesn't deliver the goods for me. The vocal sections, and instrumental sections that are like the vocal sections, which are many, just kill it to my ears. The entire second track, 20 minutes of the album, is virtually unlistenable to me. The third track is my favorite, but even that has a lot of dead weight.

I'll obviously give it more spins and try to acclimate to it, but the prognosis isn't good. Oh well.

Bill
    I know what you mean.