Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jazz 2012 - Suggestions

Latin-jazz with some early 70's-like track

Santana's Shape Shifter... easily their best since Amigos
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

This was in Sunday's Philadelphia Inquirer.

I know nothing about any of these, but I'm hoping to check some of them out.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

There is new album by Kostarev Band called Kosmobob: Vegetarian...anyone heard it yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    This was in Sunday's Philadelphia Inquirer.

I know nothing about any of these, but I'm hoping to check some of them out.
    Of those, I've heard the Amit Friedman and Mehldau. I'm sure the Rosenwinkel (which just came out) is good too.

Lots of great jazz being released every year though. It's really a hidden secret, in some ways moreso than prog rock.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It's really a hidden secret, in some ways moreso than prog rock.
    I have to disagree. It may be a hidden secret for people that only frequent PE, but jazz has more magazine coverage, more 'fan sites', more radio interest, more festivals, more shows and more general opportunities. etc etc etc.

I know you know this Sean, but I'm pointing this out for folks who don't.

Jazz is also a much bigger 'thing' than prog, and while there is huge amounts of interest and coverage of music from earlier times, there isn't the over-arching fixation on 'the past' as there is in prog and there's more younger folks at the shows than there are at the prog fests.

IMO. YMMV. GOOTAHAB.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm glad you pointed all this out. I agree that, pound for pound, jazz has much more publicity - more festivals, more recognition of the art form, etc.

I suppose I should clarify that, like prog, a lot of jazz culture is also fixated on the past, banking on big name artists who recorded 40-50 years ago. And the definition of jazz in popular culture has changed dramatically. So, like prog, you have all kinds of new artists today creating music fighting to be heard or recognized. And, like prog, an artist that can manage to sell 1,000 copies of his album is a huge win.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I have to disagree. It may be a hidden secret for people that only frequent PE, but jazz has more magazine coverage, more 'fan sites', more radio interest, more festivals, more shows and more general opportunities. etc etc etc.

I know you know this Sean, but I'm pointing this out for folks who don't.

Jazz is also a much bigger 'thing' than prog, and while there is huge amounts of interest and coverage of music from earlier times, there isn't the over-arching fixation on 'the past' as there is in prog and there's more younger folks at the shows than there are at the prog fests.
    Agree 100%, Steve.

There's many folks who never even heard of prog, but you'd be hard pressed to find anybody who hasn't heard of jazz. They might have a very misinformed idea about what jazz actually is in general, but they at least know it exists.

And yes, it's at least as alive and well as prog ever was.

additionally, the magazines don't only feature Miles, Sonny, Monk and Herbie on the covers. Think of the prog magazines. It's (nearly) always someone from the 70s or the original early 80s neo bands on the covers.

There is plenty of 'backwards gazing' in jazz (PLENTY), but there's more in prog. IMO.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.