Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Myths in Prog & Rock?

Myths in Prog & Rock?

Ray Davies has fiercely denied that Jimmy Page played on The Kinks hit 'You Really Got Me'. Folklore has always said he did.

What other myths have proven to be fakse & unfounded?

Bernard Purdie claims to have played drums on numerous Beatles tracks.

It was also claimed that Mitch Mitchell played on Sgt. Pepper.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Paul was replaced by a lookalike.

Allright when I saw this thread topic something spontaneously popped in my head entirely unexpectedly, here goes:
    I believe I'm remembering correctly that Progression magazine wrote in its review of the first Dark Aether Project album something along the lines of "non-credited saxophone and trumpet players add color". The fact is there were no non-credited musicians on that album and the magazine's comment was simply an incorrect conclusion (a misunderstanding) on part of the magazine -- basically, I used a guitar synthesizer on some songs (for saxophone, trumpet, organ, sitar, etc. sounds) which I considered a tool not an actual instrument (since I don't choose notes on it), just a tool that gets attached to the top of the guitar for creating sound not notes, and therefore it wasn't explicitly listed on the album because I didn't ask it to be listed since I considered it a tool not an instrument just like I didn't care to list other peripheral tools such as guitar amp and guitar audio signal processors. Also, in addition, it is unfortunate that someone at the time even implied to me in person (i.e. privately pointed the finger at me) that "I fooled everyone" which is again an entirely incorrect conclusion since I had zero intention to fool anyone (it is not my wish or style in life). The three musicians who were listed on the album are the only people who performed on that album, there wasn't anyone uncredited. The only instrument listed next to my name was guitar and that's the only instrument I played -- the guitar synth belonged to the tool category (in my opinion back then), not the instrument category, and that's why I'd taken no step for it to be listed.

Elvis isn't alive?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Paul was replaced by a lookalike.
    I could happily fill a page with Paul is dead clues but being a gentleman will keep them to myself

Another myth that actually made the rounds in the mid 70's was that Jesus (or a man with long hair & beard dressed all in white) could be seen wandering the audience during Genesis shows. I seriously heard this one several times.
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    Allright when I saw this thread topic something spontaneously popped in my head entirely unexpectedly, here goes:
    I believe I'm remembering correctly that Progression magazine wrote in its review of the first Dark Aether Project album something along the lines of "non-credited saxophone and trumpet players add color". The fact is there were no non-credited musicians on that album and the magazine's comment was simply an incorrect conclusion (a misunderstanding) on part of the magazine -- basically, I used a guitar synthesizer on some songs (for saxophone, trumpet, organ, sitar, etc. sounds) which I considered a tool not an actual instrument (since I don't choose notes on it), just a tool that gets attached to the top of the guitar for creating sound not notes, and therefore it wasn't explicitly listed on the album because I didn't ask it to be listed since I considered it a tool not an instrument just like I didn't care to list other peripheral tools such as guitar amp and guitar audio signal processors. Also, in addition, it is unfortunate that someone at the time even implied to me in person (i.e. privately pointed the finger at me) that "I fooled everyone" which is again an entirely incorrect conclusion since I had zero intention to fool anyone (it is not my wish or style in life). The three musicians who were listed on the album are the only people who performed on that album, there wasn't anyone uncredited. The only instrument listed next to my name was guitar and that's the only instrument I played -- the guitar synth belonged to the tool category (in my opinion back then), not the instrument category, and that's why I'd taken no step for it to be listed.
    Yep, that's the first one that popped into my mind, too.

Quote Originally Posted by WytchCrypt View Post
    I could happily fill a page with Paul is dead clues but being a gentleman will keep them to myself
    Ask Heather Mills.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wytchcrypt View Post
    Another myth that actually made the rounds in the mid 70's was that Jesus (or a man with long hair & beard dressed all in white) could be seen wandering the audience during Genesis shows.
    Long-haired bearded people at a Genesis show??? There's no other explanation!!!

Did Mama Cass choke to death on a sandwich?

Bob Holness did not play sax on Baker Street. This myth has been perpetuated in the UK for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Ray Davies has fiercely denied that Jimmy Page played on The Kinks hit 'You Really Got Me'. Folklore has always said he did.

What other myths have proven to be fakse & unfounded?
    Page though stated that he did played. And he said he knows that Davies denied that.

Jim Morrison exposed his genitals to the audience at a concert in Miami.

No she didn't. She died of a heart attack. Supposedly, the sandwich stemmed from the fact that there was apparently a sandwich sitting on the night stand, and a police officer made a facetious comment about it being "the cause of death" to a reporter, who then repeated it as a fact.

Let's see what else is there:

Frank Zappa is the son of the actor who played Mr. Green Jeans on Captain Kangaroo.

Alice Cooper allegedly ripped a chicken to pieces onstage (which I think instigated the other Frank Zappa myth, the one about the onstage gross out contest between Frank and Coop)

Keith Moon may or may not have driven a car into the swimming pool at the Flint, Michigan Holiday Inn (though Coop insists everything you've heard about Keith Moon is absolutely true)

Black Sabbath wore crucifixes in their early days to protect themselves from a hex that had been put on them after they backed out of a gig at the last minute.

The Monkees didn't play their own instruments on their records (only partially true)

Charles Manson auditioned for The Monkees (not true, he was still in prison when the auditions were held)

Debbie Harry narrowly escaped being one of Ted Bundy's victims (almost certainly false...apparently there were a whole rash of women all over the country who were convinced they had encountered Bundy, Harry apparently being one of them)

Hotel California is actually the Church Of Satan (there's a long drawn out interpretation of the lyrics in one of those anti-rock books, which even goes so far as to suggest that the brown smudge standing on the balcony inside the album's gatefold is Anton LeVay...yeah, it could be Anton LeVay, or it could be Herve Villcheze, or Barbara Carrera, or just about anyone else with dark skin complexion...hell, it could be a poorly lit person with fair skin!). And you can count in all the other idiotic claims of backwards masking, devil worship etc pointed at most rock groups during the early 80's.

Peter Criss was for a time homeless and living under the Santa Monica pier (that was some homeless guy who somehow convinced people he was Peter Criss, the real Peter once suggested that if the particular tabloid that reported the story had checked their subscription database, they'd have found his name, because his wife at the read the magazine)

Gene Simmons had a cow's tongue sewed into his mouth (really?!)

Gene Simmons once breathed fire into an audience and set someone on fire (I heard that one when I was a kid, but I think what actually happened was one of the very first Kiss shows, they also had this thing where Gene was throwing flash powder into a candelabra, causing flames to shoot out into the audience, and one of them apparently ignited some kid's hair on fire, though he wasn't seriously harmed, and apparently was good humored about the event)

Not really rock, as such, but there's the scream on Love Rollercoaster by The Ohio Players, which rumor had it was the death screams of a woman being murdered in the studio. One version of the story has it that it's the woman on the cover of the Honey album, whose skin apparently bonded with the mirror she was posing on during the photo session (that part of it actually apparently really did happen). Supposedly, the only way they could get the mirror off her was to tear it away, which left nasty scars, so she burst into the studio control room while the band was recording the track, and was murdered by their manager because she threatened to go to the press or whatever. Well, if a woman was murdered during the session, it's not the girl on the Honey cover, because she's still very much alive, and at any rate, someone screaming in another room in a recording studio isn't going to get picked up by mics during a session. The band refused to talk about for years, but they now say it's actually their keyboardist Billy Beck doing the scream.

Oh yeah, and I forgot another one that's widely reported and poorly researched celebrity trivia books: Although she was a photographer and her maiden name was Eastman, Linda McCartney was not a Kodak heiress.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Page though stated that he did played. And he said he knows that Davies denied that.
    I thought the conventional wisdom now is that Jimmy plays on the track but the solo is Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Ask Heather Mills.Long-haired bearded people at a Genesis show??? There's no other explanation!!!
    That’s not Jesus, it’s Rasputin. :P

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Bob Holness did not play sax on Baker Street. This myth has been perpetuated in the UK for decades.
    Who? I thought it was common knowledge that Raphael Ravenscroft played the iconic sax hook on that.

While we’re on the subject: the Peter Banks in After the Fire (a keyboard player) is NOT the same guy from Yes/Flash. And neither of them is related to anyone in Genesis.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Anyone remember the Rod Stewart one?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

Who? I thought it was common knowledge that Raphael Ravenscroft played the iconic sax hook on that.

While we’re on the subject: the Peter Banks in After the Fire (a keyboard player) is NOT the same guy from Yes/Flash. And neither of them is related to anyone in Genesis.
    And while we're at it, there's Dave Stewarts:

1. Dave Stewart the keyboardist, who was in Egg, Hatfield And The North, and National Health

2. Dave Stewart: the guitarist from The Eurythmics (actually multi-instrumentalist, but in every video you see, he's playing guitar)

3. Dave Stewart the other guitarist, who played rhythm guitar on Steve Hillage's Live/Herald and Open tours (as pictured in the Open tour program, and heard on disc two of the Gggggong Go Longgggg bootleg)

Suspended
    Just think - if she had given that sandwich to Karen Carpenter, they might both still be alive today.

Suspended
    Milli Vanilli sang.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Milli Vanilli sang.
    Actually, they did sing. They just didn't sing on the first album.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    And while we're at it, there's Dave Stewarts:

1. Dave Stewart the keyboardist, who was in Egg, Hatfield And The North, and National Health

2. Dave Stewart: the guitarist from The Eurythmics (actually multi-instrumentalist, but in every video you see, he's playing guitar)

3. Dave Stewart the other guitarist, who played rhythm guitar on Steve Hillage's Live/Herald and Open tours (as pictured in the Open tour program, and heard on disc two of the Gggggong Go Longgggg bootleg)
    Wouldn't that be "Daves Stewart"?

There's also a Dave Stewart bassist and a Dave Stewart drummer, so the obvious has been suggested more than once.

And the Egg Dave is credited with bass, guitar and drums on "Neil's Heavy Concept Album," just to confuse things even more.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Anyone remember the Rod Stewart one?
    Ewww.

The rumor that Jimi Hendrix was going to join ELP to make it HELP.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    cover_31661992009.jpg

--Mr. Literal