Thread: Steven Wilson: Cover Versions

Steven Wilson: Cover Versions

My copy arrived today. It's not ground-breaking stuff, but it is very nice. Packaging is excellent. Well worth picking up as long as you aren't expecting Porky Tree or The Raven that Refused To Sing.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

what's on it?

I like what he did with 'A Forest'. I really love that song for some reason and this interpretation is actually quite unique while retaining the overall eerie-ness of the original.

Suspended
    Mine arrived yesterday as well. Not groundbreaking as you say, but enjoyable enough. I really like what he did with The Guitar Lesson, probably the best song on the set - even including the originals. Some of the covers work better than others. I like the Donovan and Cure covers, not so much the ABBA and Alanis Morrisette ones.

It shouldn't be approached as an album in the sense of a constructed work, rather it's a compilation of songs in the manner of Recordings.

I don't see a song I like among these, and don't recognize half the titles. I really love Wilson's work in general, but I think I'll pass on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    I don't see a song I like among these, and don't recognize half the titles. I really love Wilson's work in general, but I think I'll pass on this.
    Half the titles are "new" Steven Wilson songs. Maybe that is why you don't recognize those?

A good collection of songs. I really like it.

I like it as well. The covers are very different to the originals, and the new stuff is good as well.

Suspended
    I'd almost say it's worth getting just for The Guitar Lesson. The SW songs Moment I Lost and An End To End are very good also.

Is this some sort of 'unplugged' affair?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Not exactly, but some of it is perhaps "low-tech" by Steven Wilson's standards.

From the booklet notes:
    "Some were recorded under professional studio circumstances, while others were done on laptops in hotel rooms. The idea was to record and release the songs quickly, like an aural diary of sorts."

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Some of it is very electronic.

Is he covering any of those Pat Boone covers on hard rock songs?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Half the titles are "new" Steven Wilson songs. Maybe that is why you don't recognize those?

A good collection of songs. I really like it.
    No, I noticed the Wilson originals. And I was wrong, I only recognize one song here, it's "Sign O' the Times" by Prince, which I don't like. I know music by most of the other artists, but not the individual songs presented here. I could never stand Abba, and only like a few Cure songs. If Wilson were trying to pick artists and songs that would be of least interest to me personally, he succeeded! Does not mean this is a poor recording, just means it's outside my interest. Oh well, I'll likely buy his next solo album, or some day more PT.

This might change your opinion. Its a cover of an old English Folk tune that should blow your mind....

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    "The Unquiet Grave"
    This *IS* a gorgeous song, but I doubt Wilson's version (as far as "rock" goes) will outdo Gryphon's or David Cousins'.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

His version of the Morisette song was out on the web a few years back (My Space?? ), so I guess some of this stuff is old material?
    Coming September 1st - "Dean Watson Revisited"!

Yeah. It's all old stuff. All of it was recorded and released years ago.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2014 View Post
    No, I noticed the Wilson originals. And I was wrong, I only recognize one song here, it's "Sign O' the Times" by Prince, which I don't like. I know music by most of the other artists, but not the individual songs presented here. I could never stand Abba, and only like a few Cure songs. If Wilson were trying to pick artists and songs that would be of least interest to me personally, he succeeded! Does not mean this is a poor recording, just means it's outside my interest. Oh well, I'll likely buy his next solo album, or some day more PT.
    They sound nothing like the originals.

Suspended
    The six CVs and six originals were released individually over a number of years as "singles". You were supposed to buy them and listen to the cover without knowing in advance what the song was. There was a lot of nonsense on the Porcupine Tree forum about how you must refer to CV1, CV2 etc., you mustn't reveal the song and spoil it for others.

Some of the choices were unexpected, but I guess that was kind of the point. He has stated a few times that he admired some of ABBA's work, but I doubt people would have expected him to cover them.

"The Swan (Lord of the Reedy River)" (That's its full title) is certainly one of Donovan's lesser-known songs. It appears as a "bonus" track on the CD release of Barabajagal. It's typical of Steven Wilson to think it's well-known simply because he knows it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    They sound nothing like the originals.
    I have nothing more to offer here (not that I had much to say), so I will bow out of the thread. Enjoy the music.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post

This might change your opinion. Its a cover of an old English Folk tune that should blow your mind....
    It blow my mind indeed.

When I first gave it a listen it didn't really stick with me, but upon repeated listenings I am loving this compilation! "Lord of the Reedy River" is certainly worth the price of admission alone, and the atmospheric, moody energy of many of the songs are just gorgeous and captivating. It really isn't that far from a Porcupine Tree recording, just a bit on the "lite" side, but that's not a criticism. I would think most PT/Wilson fans would find much to love here, and tide us over until his next solo band release next year.