Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Nucleus (and Ian Carr)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I've never come across a decent sounding show with Holdsworth; my gut tells me that one doesn't exist.
    Perhaps it hasn't been located yet. Some two years ago a guy showed up at Steve Hoffman forum with a bunch of Gordon Beck's tapes, got directed by Colin Harper to Cherry Red and we finally got two new archival releases on their Turtle Records imprint, including the superb Jubilation! boxset.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...h-them.679177/

So there's always hope something new turns up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Perhaps it hasn't been located yet.
    perhaps

So there's always hope something new turns up.
    There's hope, but my gut and my Magic 8-Ball both think it is unlikely.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

I've never come across a decent sounding show with Holdsworth; my gut tells me that one doesn't exist.
    I just grabbed this one off sugarmegs.org It sounds pretty good but this is an audio listening site so anything you grab comes out as one track. If it is over 80 minutes I can't burn it to disc.

Ian Carr's Conversation with the Blues

BBC Studios (Jazz In Britain)
    London, England
    March 17th 1980

Ian Carr (trumpet)
    Allan Holdsworth (guitar)
    Brian Smith & Tim Whitehead (sax/flute)
    Geoff Castle (keyboards)
    Chucho Merchan (bass)
    Nic France (drums)
    Chris Fletcher (percussion)

1. Conversation with the Blues part 1
    2. Conversation with the Blues part 2
    3. Conversation with the Blues part 3
    4. Sidewalk
    5. BBC Announcer

Ian Carr's Nucleus

"B.B.C. Radio-London, England 1972-11-xx

Roy Babbington: Bass
    Ian Carr: Trumpet, Flugelhorn
    Allan Holdsworth: Guitar
    Dave Macrae: Electric Piano
    Brian Smith: Tenor & Soprano Saxophone, Alto & Bamboo Flute
    Clive Thacker: Drums
    Trevor Tomkins: Percussion

6. Mayday
    7. Belladonna
    8. Suspension
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Great live footage of the band at the Molde Jazz Festival in 1974:

Ian Carr - trumpet, flugelhorn
    Bob Bertles - alto saxophone, flute
    Ken Shaw - guitar
    Geoff Castle - keyboards
    Roger Sutton - bass
    Bryan Spring - drums

I vaguely remember reading about a planned live release from their 1974 tour, when Ian Carr was still alive, but it has never materialized.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I was offered that show to release. The performance was very fine, but with no 'big names', I didn't think people would pay me for the privilege of watching men play great music and sweat a lot.

ymmv.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

The performance was very fine, but with no 'big names', I didn't think people would pay me for the privilege of watching men play great music and sweat a lot.
    Well, I'd pay you immediately for the privilege of having such a CD[+-DVD] set (with Cuineform's logo) on my shelf. Nucleus is a big name itself in my book, at least in that period.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I just grabbed this one off sugarmegs.org It sounds pretty good but this is an audio listening site so anything you grab comes out as one track. If it is over 80 minutes I can't burn it to disc.
    If I'm understanding your issue correctly, I think there are free WAV splitting programs around that could solve that.

Here's another concert from 1972: Nucleus Live At The Westfield College:

Well, I'd pay you immediately for the privilege of having such a CD[+-DVD] set (with Cuineform's logo) on my shelf. Nucleus is a big name itself in my book, at least in that period.
    well, thank you, but way too late now....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    If I'm understanding your issue correctly, I think there are free WAV splitting programs around that could solve that.
    I'll have to check into that. There are thousands of great live shows on there.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'll have to check into that. There are thousands of great live shows on there.
    Or invest in a free digital editor like Audacity. You can cut long files into individual tracks, edit out unwanted stage announcements, fix mixing errors, improve stereo imaging, normalize to 0dB, equalize to your taste, compress or expand to your taste...

I mean, if you're gonna burn live shows you might as well do it right.

If it is over 80 minutes I can't burn it to disc.
    It's only 49:49, you're in luck.

But the file has a lot of drop-outs in it. And it's No-Noised to death.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 04-12-2019 at 08:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Or invest in a free digital editor like Audacity. You can cut long files into individual tracks, edit out unwanted stage announcements, fix mixing errors, improve stereo imaging, normalize to 0dB...
    NORMALIZE TO 0db?!?!
    that's what ya call brick-walling

it's rare that I ever normalize higher than -16db
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    NORMALIZE TO 0db?!?!
    that's what ya call brick-walling
    Peaks, Louie, not RMS.

well, that's different

but my name aint Louie
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

This footage of Nucleus playing Snakehips Etcetera’s, Rats and Under The Sun’s Sarsaparilla has recently surfaced on you tube

^^
    Nice, tankx for sharing!
    G R E A T !!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Good write-up (except maybe below), but I'll pass since I already own all of them (although I could'vegone for it if all the albums were in cardboard mini-LP sleeves) and I hate the albums spread over different discs

The booklet contains a number of well-produced images which overall make the package a collectors' treat. The albums and booklet are contained in a clamshell case. The individual CDs are located in cardboard sleeves, which reproduce aspects of the original artwork.
    I don't see how this is possible
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

The CD's are placed in cardboard sleeves , but as there are only 6 CDs to represent 9 albums ..some of the cardboard sleeves show some of the artwork on the front and also the back of the CD cases

I believe ( but am not certain) that this picture taken from the Gowertonian society website shows a young Karl Jenkins (grid 9E/F)
    karl jenkins.jpg

Here is an extract from the DPRP review of Nucleus - We'll Talk About It Later which refers to Jenkins school.

Penclawdd is a village that confidently overlooks green tufts of grass that meet the sea. The shifting currents of the Loughor estuary disguise trenched mud and sand-cratered patterns, which shift, slide and meet the shore. It is famous for cockles, salt marsh lamb and for producing fine musicians.

Karl Jenkins attended the local Gowerton Boys Grammar School in the 60s. The school must have been doing something right in its efforts to help pupils discern the difference between a distorted noise and a sweet sound. In the space of fifteen years, the esteemed composer Mark Thomas (also from Penclawdd) and the keyboard player and frequent arranger for the Eurythmics, Pat Seymour, were also pupils. In a school renowned for developing international rugby players, that was some feat!

These gifted individuals developed their skills in that dust-red building amid the ever-changing pitch and clanging symphony of hundreds of boys, including myself, who found themselves placed within the rusted fragility of its fatigued old school gates.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I was unable to procure a copy of Three Of A Kind at a less than extortionate price, but I got Bracknell Sunshine from The Artist Shop and enjoy it quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by prestonplatform View Post
    Torrid Zone The Vertigo Years 1970 -75
    http://www.dprp.net/reviews/2019-051
    I have all the BGO releases, however on the strength of the DPRP review I ordered the Torrid Zone boxed set, with some other Esoteric goodies.
    I rip all my CDs to hard disc, so the 9 albums on 6 CDs is of no concern to me.
    The improved sound quality is the main thing.

Just got the box, gotta admit that I had a gaping hole in my collection- only had one Vinyl best-of from this band, and boy was I missing!
    Am just on the 2nd disc but am enjoying this tremendously so far.