Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nucleus (and Ian Carr)

Nucleus (and Ian Carr)

I've always loved this English counterpart to Miles' early Rock dabbling and I *thought* I owned every album up through Out of the Long Dark...

but then I see this thing listed called "Hemispheres"

can anyone elaborate on that album?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

It is two live shows from 3/70 and 2/71 from Europe. I just put it in and the sound quality is very good.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

cool, thanx!

and now I see that I also have Awakening, which came after OotLD

then theres one about a Redhead that I don't have either
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Great band, I like their later period albums as well. But We'll Talk About It Later is fabulous.

I never got to hear the Cuneiform archival live release, so I'm a bit curious there...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

My favourite live Nucleus is the Live in Bremen release which was a performance that happened a little later(a couple of months) than the later concert featured on Hemispheres. Both are fantastic though. Hemispheres does feature the original lineup.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    cool, thanx!

and now I see that I also have Awakening, which came after OotLD

then theres one about a Redhead that I don't have either
    I wasn't nearly as impressed with "The Pretty redhead" which is a 50 minute live album which features two completely different concerts and lineups. One from 1971 and the other from 1982. Even Ian Carr in the liner notes mentions that the first lineup was seasoned from constantly playing live but the 1982 lineup was brand new at the time. It's good but with Live In Bremn and Hemispheres out there I wouldn't bother. Just an opinion.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I would give the nod to Bremen as well...slightly.

The other live archive not to leave out is "UK Tour '76". Two CDs with extended tracks and quite good if you like the mid period stuff.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    My favourite live Nucleus is the Live in Bremen release
    +1
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Also very good one is In Flagrante Delicto, another live set, this one from the post-Marshall lineup. Tough to find on CD but Amazon has it on MP3.

I was going to mention that I love The Pretty Redhead, but it occurs to me that I usually shut it off after the '71 tracks.

I tend to favor the live albums over the studio ones, save for Belladonna.

Here is my opinion on all those (early) releases: first three BBC tracks on "Pretty Redhead" (from March 1971) are nothing short of fabulous - the renditions are red hot indeed and rock very hard. 25 minutes of pure blitz in excellent sound quality, which makes the rest of the disc (recorded in 1982) utterly unbearable if you dare continue listening.

"Hemispheres" is culled from live recordings from European tours in 1970 and 1971, also in the original lineup, and presents more jazzy side of the band, with focus on the arrangements and intricate instrumental interplay. Less M.D.'s "Live Evil", more W.R.'s "Live in Tokyo". Great sound quality too, which helps listener savour all its little precious sonic details.

Cuneiform's "Live in Bremen" comes from 1972 and replaces Chris Spedding with Ray Russell. Some fans drop off here claiming that the band had lost their soul and sold themselves to generic jazz-rock soloing. Well, since I sincerely love those (early) jazz-rock "banalities", it is one of their favourite discs, although there is no denying that the focus shifted on the rocky side of the fence. Sound quality is a bit worse, but nothing really to complain about.

Summing up: you need to have them all.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 07-11-2014 at 03:06 PM.

A review of Hemispheres

Along with:
    1. A review of UK Tour '76
    2. And an extensive overview covering all original releases available at time of writing (2004) plus The Pretty Redhead and Live in Bremen

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Summing up: you need to have them all.
    Sigh. The wife has trouble buying that argument.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    But it's pretty much true. Sorry!

http://www.gonzomultimedia.com/product_details/15873

I wish I knew more about what this is all about. Google isn't helping.

Not due until October. It's not even mentioned on Ian Carr's website.

Resurrecting a dormant thread in honor of the Esoteric box.

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/torrid-...ger-farbey.php

I almost wish I didn't own all the material already so I could justify getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    That's what they make coat hooks in the closet for. She'll eventually stop screaming and come around.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Yesterday I was listening to Alleycat. I like that period of the band as well. Some fine grooves to like and very energetic playing...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Alleycat
    This and Labyrinth are actually my faves along with We'll Talk. The strength of Alleycat is that intensely forceful sense of funky groove; when played at loud volume this comes close to bringing down the house. It almost equals Weather Report or Passport's Cross-Collateral in sheer charge.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

https://www.cherryred.co.uk/product/...shell-box-set/
    Nucleus boxed set by Esoteric

If memory serves me well, the CDs I have were a little hot, with dynamic range compressed.
    Hopefully Esoteric have made their usual good job, restored the original dynamics, and a definitive CD collection.

I listened to In Flagrante Delicto last night for the first time in ages and ages - maybe since it was new(!!), and I really enjoyed it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

A year earlier UK Tour '76 (on MLP) is a potent document of their dense mid-70s fusion too.

I hope there'll be some official live release with Allan Holdsworth in the future. The Westfield College, Hampstead '72 tape on YouTube shows this lineup's live potential, even though the sound quality is not that great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAC3BIJ1QZU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOiLA9WYGtE
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 04-12-2019 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    I hope there'll be some official live release with Allan Holdsworth in the future. The Westfield College, Hampstead '74 tape on YouTube shows this lineup's live potential, even though the sound quality is not that great.]
    I've never come across a decent sounding show with Holdsworth; my gut tells me that one doesn't exist.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

https://www.allaboutjazz.com/torrid-...ger-farbey.php

I almost wish I didn't own all the material already so I could justify getting it.
    Same here.... But TBH, unless it was all cardboard 1on1 mini-lps it's no use for me... Especially in that kind of 9on6 business. So I'll passssssss

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    This and Labyrinth are actually my faves along with We'll Talk. The strength of Alleycat is that intensely forceful sense of funky groove; when played at loud volume this comes close to bringing down the house. It almost equals Weather Report or Passport's Cross-Collateral in sheer charge.
    I'd place either Under The Sun or Elastic Rock after Later and Alleycats.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    If memory serves me well, the CDs I have were a little hot, with dynamic range compressed.
    Hopefully Esoteric have made their usual good job, restored the original dynamics, and a definitive CD collection.
    Weren't those BGO 2on2 released before the loudness/remastering craziness?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I listened to In Flagrante Delicto last night for the first time in ages and ages - maybe since it was new(!!), and I really enjoyed it.
    Yup, indeed??? still have the vinyl of that one.
    Last edited by Trane; 04-12-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.