Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Most unforgettable/mind blowing prog song you saw performed live?

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Steve, you and I were probably at the same Union show! Kalamazoo?
    Yup, I was there. Of all the times I have seen Yes that one ranks right up at the top. The the tour again a few months later at Pine Knob.

I don't know if it was prog they were playing but when I saw Jericho play in Durban '72 supporting Jo'burg Hawk, my jaw was on the floor. I just couldn't believe the sounds the two gunslingers were creating, so much so that when I came across the Jericho album I was disappointed to find no dueling guitars. I can only presume they must have been playing the Jericho Jones album which I've only heard once. I thought Santana wouldn't be able to follow that, never mind Jo'burg Hawk. Guess what?

Prog was dead in London 76 when I saw GG and even though I remember the backward kicking of Gary Green, my mind was blown by the simple things like the group drum soli near the end. Interview was just to complex for me to get my head around, especially as my ears were bleeding.

81 Earls Court. The Comfortably Numb guitar solo could have gone on and on..

Union Tour Wembley. The revolving drum duel between Bill Bruford and Alan White. I don't know who won but Alan White's Ramshackled in one of the best Yes solo albums.

Astoria Jade Warrior - The cool voice of Glyn Harvard singing The Traveler .

Also had my mind blown by the master several times before.

I should mention that I saw PH playing keyboards and I'm sure he did the side long Flight. I was curious to hear how close the song would be to the album. Need not have worried, it was suitably dramatic.
    I can't remember the year and where... My mind had been blown long ago with Pawn Hearts and Chameleon
    Last edited by Galactic Bulldozer; 07-09-2014 at 03:33 AM. Reason: Mind blown apart

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    Would have to be either Yes doing "Awaken" on the 1991 Union tour, or "The Gates of Delirium" on the 2000 Masterworks tour. I'm not old enough to have seen the masters in their prime back in the '70s, alas.
    ^^^^^DITTO! Mindblowing is the only word to describe it! Talking about "Awaken" of course!

I'll second Awaken on the Union tour. I was 20 and had just started getting into YES and had never heard the tune before, it blew me away.

When I finally got to see Crimson live in July of 2001,they opened with Dangerous Curves/Level 5 and it similarly astounded.

Steven Wilson playing Raider II on the 'Raven' tour.

Finally, the Dixie Dregs playing "the Bash" when I first saw them in '92. WOW!

For me, it's more about the total concert versus just one song, but here's where my reflections have got me...

1. Finally seeing/hearing Genesis play Carpet Crawlers in 2007. I was at the Giants Stadium and MSG shows. It hadn't been played any previous time I saw them.
    2. Yes playing Revealing Science of God, in Boston in I think 1997. The opening chant with Squire and Anderson killed me, and it just got better and better after that.
    3. First time seeing Mike Keneally at the Hiro Ballroom/NYC in 2010. I had been a fan since 1993-94, and this was the *first* time I was able to see him live. Great show, fantastic energy from the band and audience.
    4. John Cale, solo, in Boston in 1994 or so. Just a piano and guitar, at the Middle East in Cambridge. He was getting over a sore throat, so his performance/vocals at time were a bit quieter, but it just made the dangerous songs (Fear), a bit more over the edge...
    5. Magma, NYC, 2010. Great stuff, and my lovely wife actually enjoyed it too!
    6. Pink Floyd, Giants Stadium, June 1988. Dreary weather, with the pouring rain starting up during the chorus of 'Us and Them,' but we stayed out, with the crowd getting louder in appreciation of the music, and the rain...
    7. Not prog, but The Who in June 1989, in Giants Stadium, hearing 70K people sing along with Townsend's vocals in "Baba O'Riley."

I'm sure there's more, but those are what I could recall right now...

Mike

Edgar Winter's White Trash show at the Apollo in Harlem - - - w/his brother (guest appearance), Rick Derringer, Jerry LaCroix and the ensemble.

I've seen most of the great prog acts since 1971 - and hundreds of other concerts through the years - - - but nothing could ever touch the spontaneity and improvisational mojo of that White Trash show - - - those guys were absolutely on fire and the audience reaction was magical - both fed off each other. The stars definitely aligned that night - - -

Yes - Awaken, 6/18/79 Springfield MA.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    KC "Sheltering Sky" live on their DISCIPLINE tour.
    yeah man incredible

summer of 1970
    aragon ballroom chicago
    jethro tull performing my god (well before aqualung released)
    ian's flute solo took my breath away (as well as his) and when the band came back in...well...it was mind blowing

oldfield - tubular bells 1982
    renaissance - ashes are burning 1977

The Sailor's Tale - King Crimson at the Spectrum in Philly in 1971
    Fracture - King Crimson at the Loew's Theatre in Providence in 1974
    Rondo - ELP at the Loew's Theatre in Providence in 1971
    Lay Down - Strawbs at the Tower Theater in Philly in 1974 or '5.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

summer 1998
    world music theater (since renamed)
    yes performing yours is no disgrace

the world is(was) one of the big outdoor sheds which seats around 8 - 10 thousand + a lot of lawn seating
    the concert was billed as being in surround sound and i was sitting almost dead center
    i really didn't notice shit until steve started his jam and then eveyrthing started swirling....cascading around me

thrilling really

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Another vote for Supper's Ready.
    1974 Massey Hall Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yup, I was there. Of all the times I have seen Yes that one ranks right up at the top. The the tour again a few months later at Pine Knob.
    That was my first Yes concert, and actually the first concert I ever went to. I skipped my graduation ceremony from community college (Glen Oaks) to go! I think it's still probably the best show I've ever been to.

Echoes - Pink Floyd - Nassau Collesium - June 1975.

I'll figure out a way of scanning my picture with the stage over my shoulder.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Thinking Plague 2013-many songs had me laughing at their sheer greatness.

Gentle Giant 'Interview' tour, performance of 'Memories of old Days' many months before 'The Missing Piece' was released, not to mention their entire set.

Flower Kings, Rainmaker tour, performing 'Church of your Heart', and 'Stardust We Are'.

Yes, Relayer tour performing 'Gates of Delirium' and 'And You And I'

Genesis, W&W tour performing 'One For The Vine' and 'Firth of Fifth'

Rush - Cygnus/Hemispheres Saw this on two consecutive tours, Hemispheres & Permanent Waves
    Genesis - Supper's Ready, ABACAB tour
    UK - Carrying No Cross, Danger Money tour
    Utopia - Singring & The Glass Guitar, RA tour

Probably one of the songs from the Lamb tour.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Thinking Plague 2013-many songs had me laughing at their sheer greatness.
    Where did you see them? I saw them at RIO the year before as the support act for Magma, stunningly good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    YES - "Gates of Delirium" with Moraz
    THIS.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by dgtlman View Post
    Rush - Cygnus/Hemispheres Saw this on two consecutive tours, Hemispheres & Permanent Waves
    ...AND THIS!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

PE Member since 7/14/2001 rushfan's Avatar
    Yes - Awaken 6/30/79, the last show with Jon and Rick.

Pat Metheny Group playing The Way Up at Hammersmith in 2005. Nothing I've seen before or since comes close.

second places go to Radiohead at Oxford's South Park in 2001 amidst a biblical rain storm as 45,000 fans belted out Karma Police, King Crimson playing the Construktion of Light at Shepherds Bush was magical. And watching both Magma and Steven Wilson backstage at Loreley last year was awesome.

Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by rushfan View Post
    Yes - Awaken 6/30/79, the last show with Jon and Rick.
    Wow, we picked the same song and saw Yes 12 days apart. Cool!

Peter Gabriel Security Tour 1983 - the whole damn show blew me away
    ELP 1978 (w/o orchestra) - Tarkus, especially Aquatrakus
    Genesis 1981 Abacab tour - In The Cage/Cinema Show/Slipperymen/Afterglow medley
    Led Zeppelin 1977 - The Song Remains the Same (I know, not prog...)