Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What classical pieces define your classical music tastes?

Quote Originally Posted by presdoug View Post
    Same here, especially the recordings with Sir Thomas Beecham and Sir John Barbirolli. Also love Delius's Florida Suite (Beecham)
    Yes Brigg Fair is one of my favorite pieces of music ever. And I agree, with Delius, you can never go wrong with Beecham conducting, he truly understands Delius. There are a couple vastly inferior performances out there with other conductors. 'North Country Sketches' and 'A Walk To The Paradise Garden' are a couple other wonderful pieces.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    Well, "We're Not Gonna Take It" is indeed an altered version of "Oh Come All Ye Faithful"
    I'm now sorry that someone did pick up on it...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

"Go stand in the corner. It's Varese!"

Not only did I get the composer wrong, I was thinking of Ameriques by Varese. However, the exam was in 1971 (only forty years ago). I shouldn't reminisce without checking my facts! (Still, my memory refuses to die)

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm distraught nobody picked that up
    I saw it, figured it was some inside joke.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    I saw it, figured it was some inside joke.
    A test to see on how many ignore list I was on
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post

You didn't ask, but I'll add anyway, the only music that bores me is the classical formalism of Mozart. His stuff could be composed by computer -- and has been.
    I'm not a great fan of Mozart either, but this is a little misleading. I didn't know of this David Cope guy, but it appears he has done other composers by computer, not just Mozart.
    I've read a little about this sort of thing, and what I think it means is that he has input samples of the particular composer's music into the computer and analysed the frequency of occurrence of particular features of the music: note sequences, chord progressions, particular chords, etc., then allowed the 'puter to generate music using those particular parameters. The result is that you end up with a piece that sounds like something which (say) Mozart might have composed. It could be done with any composer.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I think it means is that he has input samples of the particular composer's music into the computer and analysed the frequency of occurrence of particular features of the music: note sequences, chord progressions, particular chords, etc., then allowed the 'puter to generate music using those particular parameters. The result is that you end up with a piece that sounds like something which (say) Mozart might have composed. It could be done with any composer.
    +1