Thread: Camel - The Snow Goose promo LP (cover discrepencies)

Camel - The Snow Goose promo LP (cover discrepencies)

I was fortunate enough to find a promotional copy of The Snow Goose LP in excellent condition in the used vinyl bin at a local record shop for 8 dollars. One thing that strikes me is that the cover is slightly different than the retail release. The Camel font is not an imitation of the cigarette brand's logo, and the phrase "music inspired by" is missing (both features of the retail cover).

A few questions arise. Was this cover produced before the lawsuit by Paul Gallico forced them to add the "inspired by" caveat, or did the lawsuit not apply for promotional copies? Why was the Camel font changed from the one imitating the cigarette brand, yet the cigarette brand logo is present on the retail version? Was the logo changed on all US pressings? And finally, is it worth anything? (well, I thought I'd try).

Here are pics of the retail cover from Google Images and a few pics of my promo copy for comparison.

Retail cover:
    camel_1383571156.jpg

My promo copy:
    snowgoose1.jpgsnowgoose2.jpgsnowgoose3.jpg

If you want something done...

http://www.discogs.com/Camel-The-Sno...elease/4680027

Well, it is rare (the only promo pressing from Janus Records listed out of the nearly 100 different pressings of the album), but not apparently worth anything. Of course, I am still pleased I found this classic symphonic masterwork amid the standard Bee Gees and Olivia Newton-John fare of used vinyl bins. I will treasure it for the music contained within, and am ecstatic to add it to my collection.