Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 36424344454647484950 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1339

Thread: Magma news

Yes, those remasters really are superb and capture more of what Magma sounds like live. (And I did get that the two of you were joking a bit. ) but I think there is a point to be made there because the question of "why remasters' does come up fairly often out in the world. I often have to decide whether to get something I already have because of a new master, and I would get it only if I think it sounds better or radically different.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Boy, am I enjoying these remasters. I finished a first pass through the Retrospektiew sets and I can't believe how juiced the band sounds. The recordings sound vibrant and alive and I have to say, as far as live albums go in terms of performance AND sound, these are rising to the top very quickly.

I don't know who is playing bass when (there are 4 bass players listed) but damm...the sound (weirdly) reminds me of some battery operated toy monster truck that young hooligan kids would play with in the mud...devastating all the little popsicle stick buildings and walls with dirty, growling finality before their mom would call them home to clean off before dinner. It's completely berserker and...several times I just burst out laughing

The Bourges 79 set is screaming my name as we speak!!

best
    Michael
    Last edited by neuroticdog; 10-31-2022 at 06:19 PM.
    If it ain't acousmatique-It's crap

I just found this new analysis of Kohntarkosz, which is in French but for which you can bring up English subtitles. Enjoy; it's long:

^ Oh nice! Will check out tonight....thx Dana

What the hell, Magma. First I'm reading about all these other people commenting on Kartehl from way back in September. Then I saw that they do have a bandcamp page, and that it would be released there as a download on November 25th. Okay, kind of disappointing and a long wait, but I'm sure they have their reasons. Today, I go to buy Kartehl and finally get a chance to hear it and...they have now pushed back the release date to December 16th! Certainly not how I would choose to do a release, but there you go.

Neil
    Last edited by boilk; 11-25-2022 at 03:26 PM.

^ the digital release will include some bonus item, hence the delay.

Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    ^ the digital release will include some bonus item, hence the delay.
    Well, that's something, but it still should have been better coordinated.

Neil

^ If you had bought the CD, you'd have had it weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Hey, you CD purists need to get thrown a bone once in awhile...

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Few months ago. I got CD many weeks before the digital release.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

I've always wondered why are the Magma CDs, LPs and DVDs priced so high. It makes no sense, they is what you could call a cult band and their sales are not astronomical so why are their CDs so darn expensive?

I think if you are a niche group and there aren't a lot of new fans coming on board, it probably makes more sense to charge $20 per CD than $15 because your fans will pay it and nobody else cares.

At least they didn't put out a deluxe version of Kartehl with three extra tracks on a second CD for $60 :-D.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    I've always wondered why are the Magma CDs, LPs and DVDs priced so high. It makes no sense, they is what you could call a cult band and their sales are not astronomical so why are their CDs so darn expensive?
    They still have their costs, which have to be compensated by less sales.

well there are like four dozen people in the band so if you're paying by the musician it's not a bad deal

Magma are kinda weird like that though, with Felitice Thosz being only 30 minutes, then two in a row that were barely 20, and now this one which for some reason is a 2xLP in order to get a few demos in which I don't think are essential. I'll keep buying them though because I love the music, Kartehl has been playing round the house a lot lately
    Critter Jams "album of the week" blog: http://critterjams.wordpress.com

^ the digital release will include some bonus item
    NOT.

But the Bandcamp digital release is 32bit, "better than the CD".

NOT.

But the Bandcamp digital release is 32bit, "better than the CD".
    I was completely fine waiting for this as a high rez download. It's not like I don't have enough music to "tide me over"

best
    Michael

I think K​ã​rt​ë​hl is not a career highlight but an enjoyable album nevertheless. A good album to release in between more ambitious stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I think K​ã​rt​ë​hl is not a career highlight but an enjoyable album nevertheless. A good album to release in between more ambitious stuff.
    Still processing my thoughts on this album, recently got the digital version and only heard 2 or 3 times with each time enjoying it more. I may have more to say once I become familiar with it but wanted to ask what you mean by "more ambitious stuff"?

Over the years I've come to believe that as far as Magma is concerned, their vocal arrangements are on equal ground with their instrument playing, and on this release, I think their vocal arrangements are pretty damm great (and ambitious too !

best
    Michael
    Last edited by neuroticdog; 12-08-2022 at 11:21 AM.

Last edited by Dana5140; 12-08-2022 at 07:04 PM.

New:

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    You just answered your own question. They are a cult band, which have no huge label behind them. So the prices are a little higher, and the quality is always awesome, so either you want to support them or you don't, it comes right down to if a few dollars more is going to stop you from owning/supporting/enjoying a band that (imo) deserves the support by having people buy their music.

In passing, Caroline Indjean has joined a side project band that Laura Guaratto has been a member of for some time, Le Voix De Gaia, which sings medieval songs and has a hurdy gurdy player:

http://www.lesvoixdegaia.com/#about

Nice find. Good to see Francis Moze and his acrylic bass there, among others.

Played ER studio today, first time in a while. Love it so much...better than ever.