Thread: Magma news

  1. #726
    Found this as well- very interesting takes here.

    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

  2. #727
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    6,132
    Wouldn't it be amazing to hear a full scale orchestral/choral arrangement performed of CV's works? I mean done properly with a brilliant orchestrator and willing/capable ensemble? I think the power and immense emotion of his music would translate wonderfully if done right.

  3. #728
    I think the more composed sections of CV's works would work decently well with an orchestra, but when it comes to the more modal/vampy parts I don't think it would sound too hot. To me a lot of the magic of CV's stuff is the group interplay and the little improvisatory flourishes here and there, which I think an orchestra would restrict and muddy up a little too much. Plus an orchestra would bring the music a little too close to Earth, is that why we listen to Magma? But it's possible, it would have to be veery well arranged though. I'm still a bit conflicted on the studio Zess.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

  4. #729
    Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Found this as well- very interesting takes here.

    Ugh, the start to Zombies was an absolute trainwreck.
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

  5. #730
    Akt 19 to be released soon

    akt1.jpg

    akt2.jpg

  6. #731
    Cool! Mixing Offering and Magma.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

  7. #732
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemeat View Post
    Akt 19 to be released soon

    akt1.jpg

    akt2.jpg
    Interesting. But first I need to order that Offering box and I first wait till I got an answer on recieving To love instead of Merci. Besides I'm expecting the Hoelderlin live DVD+CD and some other stuff.

  8. #733
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    6,132
    The Kohntarkhosz on the ER Trilogie DVD is just absolutely insane. How they manage to get to the end in one piece is just miraculous in itself, but then again so is the entire journey! During James's guitar solo, the keyboardist is playing on the offbeat in 3/4 and its so flippin difficult to keep counting in time if you try to just zone in on his part, but its also a challenge and fun as hell. James is just wailing away and Vander is purposely fucking with syncopated rhythms on top of this whole bloody mess - but its synchronized like a Swiss clock. Perfection. Its simply astounding playing and writing. That ending section might be the absolute pinnacle of Magma...maybe??!!

    Wunderbar!

  9. #734
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Grenoble, France
    Posts
    1,339
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The Kohntarkhosz on the ER Trilogie DVD is just absolutely insane. How they manage to get to the end in one piece is just miraculous in itself, but then again so is the entire journey! During James's guitar solo, the keyboardist is playing on the offbeat in 3/4 and its so flippin difficult to keep counting in time if you try to just zone in on his part, but its also a challenge and fun as hell. James is just wailing away and Vander is purposely fucking with syncopated rhythms on top of this whole bloody mess - but its synchronized like a Swiss clock. Perfection. Its simply astounding playing and writing. That ending section might be the absolute pinnacle of Magma...maybe??!!

    Wunderbar!
    Agreed it's a high point of the entire Magma oeuvre. I had somewhat mixed memories of this series of shows, because initially Benoît Widemann was on second keyboards and I was disappointed with his performance. For some reason it felt underrehearsed. I wasn't so surprised when I turned up at another show the following week and Benoît was gone. There was some uneasiness about why and how he had been let go. When I bought the DVD, I was reminded of how great the performances where, despite the lack of Benoît's Minimoog leads. This may well be my favourite version of "Kohntarkosz".
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

  10. #735
    Member Marco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    269
    I'd very much like an Akt release featuring nothing but every possible solo of Mac Gaw on Köhntarkösz. No one but Chris Potter can ever touch what James did in building a narrative in long solos.
    bassist in Papangu, a zeuhl metal band from Brazil https://papangu.bandcamp.com/album/holoceno

  11. #736
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belo Horizonte / Brazil
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The Kohntarkhosz on the ER Trilogie DVD is just absolutely insane. How they manage to get to the end in one piece is just miraculous in itself, but then again so is the entire journey! During James's guitar solo, the keyboardist is playing on the offbeat in 3/4 and its so flippin difficult to keep counting in time if you try to just zone in on his part, but its also a challenge and fun as hell. James is just wailing away and Vander is purposely fucking with syncopated rhythms on top of this whole bloody mess - but its synchronized like a Swiss clock. Perfection. Its simply astounding playing and writing. That ending section might be the absolute pinnacle of Magma...maybe??!!

    Wunderbar!
    I don't own the dvd, but it seems it was recorded on Nov. 15 and 21, 2014. I have attended Magma's gig at Le Triton on Nov. 22. If I remember correctly it was the last day of their residency and the playing was insane. Kohntarkosz was definitely the high point, and the most impressive version of the piece I've ever heard. I would like to have a tape of this concert, must look for it.

  12. #737
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    6,132
    Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    I don't own the dvd, but it seems it was recorded on Nov. 15 and 21, 2014. I have attended Magma's gig at Le Triton on Nov. 22. If I remember correctly it was the last day of their residency and the playing was insane. Kohntarkosz was definitely the high point, and the most impressive version of the piece I've ever heard. I would like to have a tape of this concert, must look for it.
    That's wonderful Alberto! Lucky man! I am partial to the olde band with the Paganottis, etc but this particular group just slayed this material. I also would love to have the audio from this DVD to crank on the hifi. The picture quality seems to be a slight improvement over the epok series as well.

  13. #738
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belo Horizonte / Brazil
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    That's wonderful Alberto! Lucky man! I am partial to the olde band with the Paganottis, etc but this particular group just slayed this material. I also would love to have the audio from this DVD to crank on the hifi. The picture quality seems to be a slight improvement over the epok series as well.
    Frankie, the day before I was attending Lindsay Cooper's tribute at the Barbican, in London. Best money I've ever spent in my life.

  14. #739
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Grenoble, France
    Posts
    1,339
    I was at the Nov 7, 14 and 19 shows - not those that were used for the DVD. I didn't remember it being such a long residency ! Widemann was there the first week, probably just a couple of shows.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

  15. #740
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Belo Horizonte / Brazil
    Posts
    447
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I was at the Nov 7, 14 and 19 shows - not those that were used for the DVD. I didn't remember it being such a long residency ! Widemann was there the first week, probably just a couple of shows.
    I remember seeing you - not meeting you - at the Barbican on Nov 21. I was too shy to introduce myself.

    I wonder if Magma will ever consider releasing some of these shows at Le Triton as download only, like King Crimson did. The sound quality will be definitely great and there are certainly impressive performances hidden in the vaults.

  16. #741
    Just listened to Merci for the first time and I like it.
    Alas I like it better than To love, which I originally got instead of Merci, which was what I ordered.

  17. #742
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Just listened to Merci for the first time and I like it.
    Alas I like it better than To love, which I originally got instead of Merci, which was what I ordered.
    I think Merci is excellent. Different, but still the same excellent. And like you I prefer it to To Love.

  18. #743
    Quote Originally Posted by Conti View Post
    I don't own the dvd, but it seems it was recorded on Nov. 15 and 21, 2014. I have attended Magma's gig at Le Triton on Nov. 22. If I remember correctly it was the last day of their residency and the playing was insane. Kohntarkosz was definitely the high point, and the most impressive version of the piece I've ever heard. I would like to have a tape of this concert, must look for it.
    I was on the 19 and 20, what a crazy week -
    2 Lindsay Cooper tributes, Toubifri Orchestra, Dedication Orchestra, Pere Ubu, Magma (including Baba Yaga la sorciere) and more...
    I miss those pre-covid times

  19. #744
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,914
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The Kohntarkhosz on the ER Trilogie DVD is just absolutely insane. How they manage to get to the end in one piece is just miraculous in itself, but then again so is the entire journey! During James's guitar solo, the keyboardist is playing on the offbeat in 3/4 and its so flippin difficult to keep counting in time if you try to just zone in on his part, but its also a challenge and fun as hell. James is just wailing away and Vander is purposely fucking with syncopated rhythms on top of this whole bloody mess - but its synchronized like a Swiss clock. Perfection. Its simply astounding playing and writing. That ending section might be the absolute pinnacle of Magma...maybe??!!

    Wunderbar!
    Is that Mythes & Legends IV?
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  20. #745
    No, this would be on the Ementeht-Re Trilogy DVD. That consists of ER, Kohntarkosz and KA. Each version is superb, and the version of Kohntarkosz is completely insane. I had seen a preview of James' guitar solo some years ago in a short clip from Elsa Stavilaski, and to see the full version is amazing. I do not know. how everyone keeps rhythm in that ridiculous time signatures that are all over the place. Watching Jeremy Ternoy comp behind James is a lesson in itself. Truly astonishing.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

  21. #746
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    6,132
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Is that Mythes & Legends IV?
    https://www.seventhrecords.com/en/vi...logy-1260.html

    Here ya go....I didn't see it at Wayside

  22. #747
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Montréal
    Posts
    118
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    https://www.seventhrecords.com/en/vi...logy-1260.html

    Here ya go....I didn't see it at Wayside
    Is this also available in audio only?

  23. #748
    This morning I dreamed I was with a Magma influenced group with 3 drummers. The leader was a rapper as well and he divided the drumsolo over the 3 drummers.

    b.t.w. Am I the only one who sees the cover of Merci as a kind of reference to Offering?

  24. #749
    Another new one that is an old one:



    Added another new find, demos from the original MDK- this is really interesting.

    Last edited by Dana5140; 07-29-2021 at 05:41 PM.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

  25. #750
    Member TheH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    2,633
    Live Stream by French German TV format

    https://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/103922...L4i3kpM3ey3auQ

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •