Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pink Floyd album in October

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    ^^^WTF! Roger Barrett! Wakey wakey! No nore Gilmour tribute albums.End of! Would rather the Aussie Floyd!!
    Syd's real name was Roger Keith Barrett, presumably that's who the OP was referencing.

Quote Originally Posted by Toothyspook View Post
    .Surly both are to be welcomed.
    Don't call me surly.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

they could call it Leftoverture..... it's DB leftovers re-worked.

Very exciting - and it's clear that this is Gilmour working with material already recorded with Wright. No point speculating about Mason yet - we need some actual facts, don't we?
    Only then can we spend 80-odd pages moaning about it unreasonably, or hyping it up ridiculously, before it's even been properly released. :-)

Unlike Rufus, who clearly has superior taste, I happen to think The Division Bell is a mostly fantastic Pink Floyd album (not true of A Momentary Lapse, of course - but I still like 1/4 of that very much).
    I don't see this as a Queen-like posthumous cash-in. Hopefully it's a more thoughtfully produced testament to Wright's subtle genius. And, if I'm honest, I'd be rather put off if Waters was involved. Much better to let Gilmour curate his friend Wright's legacy of unreleased jams, sessions, etc., than to let Waters angrily moan about the middle east and capitalism, with the occasional hint of a tune creeping in now and again, etc.
    If you've read the right interviews in the past, then this all makes some sense, even if it's still a totally astonishing (and, for me, wonderful) surprise. Gilmour has hinted at there being good unused material from both The Division Bell and also tons of stuff from his and Wright's work together for On An Island.

For me, the musical magic of Floyd was always Gilmour and Wright. I think the absence of Storm Thorgerson is more of a blow to the band's identity than the probable lack of Waters.

Also, if the reports are true that Gilmour allegedly has enough solo material for a double album, then that's also very exciting! If so, I hope this time he brings a bit more variation in mood, tempo and dynamic (see, I'm not a sycophantic fanboy - I can be critical too! I loved On An Island for its good points, but sometimes you wish Gilmour would swap the Rolls Royce driving sedately along country lanes for a Maserati tearing around town and running through a few red lights).

By the way, Polly Samson is not only Gilmour's partner and collaborator, but she was (and is) a professional writer/journalist. I think she used to write for The Guardian, or something like that (I forget the precise details - Google is available for those who are more bothered to check). The point is that calling her simply Gilmour's girlfriend is more than a bit demeaning, one might argue. She's got more experience writing clever words for a living than most people who write song lyrics for prog bands.

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Don't call me surly.
    Whoops - well spotted.

I would rather any future Pink Floyd release include Roger, otherwise it's the Gilmour and Wright show this go around. That said, I have little issue with calling it whatever they want. Also, we haven't heard all about the album anyway. I'm withholding further opinion until more comes out.

Stop denigrating the word surly. It is one of the greatest American beers.

surlyfurious1.jpg

Perhaps, if Waters were involved, his lyrical theme might be one of remembrance. Something on the lines of "Wish You Were Here". However, there is nothing wrong with the notion of Wright-driven instrumentals, swirling keyboards with that soaring lead guitar cutting though the mist. I cannot get enough of that kind of stuff.

The notion that Gilmour has enough material for a double album, plus the idea of a new PF album, is more than enough cause for celebration for me.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

As the 20th anniversary of Pink Floyd's last studio album, 1994's "The Division Bell," approaches, the band will be releasing a brand new record titled "The Endless River," sometime in October. The news was first announced by Pink Floyd guitarist and vocalist David Gilmour's wife, Polly Samson, on Twitter.

Pink Floyd touring vocalist Durga McBroom-Hudson, who sang backup with the band throughout the 80s and 90s, was the next to confirm the album's existence, posting a photo from the recording sessions on her Facebook. She echoed Samson's reveal that the songs initially began during the "Division Bell" sessions, and that the album will contain "all unreleased songs."

"The recording did start during The Division Bell sessions (and yes, it was the side project originally titled "The Big Spliff" that Nick Mason spoke about). Which is why there are Richard Wright tracks on it. But David and Nick have gone in and done a lot more since then," McBroom-Hudson wrote on Facebook. "It was originally to be a completely instrumental recording, but I came in last December and sang on a few tracks. David then expanded on my backing vocals and has done a lead on at least one of them."
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

As a fan of every incarnation of PF (yes, we do exist), I gladly welcome any new (to the buying public) material.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    A tour on the other hand...
    ...would make everyone a lot of money!

And if this is a new album built from 20 year old material... why does that sound familiar?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I don't think it would be interesting..I love Meddle and AHM most of all their stuff..now it should be all about loud drums, loud guitars, girls singing choruses..

This news just made a headline on MSN.com. It showed a photo of Gilmour & Waters but the story mentions Gilmour & Mason heading back into the studio.

Not a fan of McBroom-Hudson's vocals. I find her voice to be a bit strident, jarring, & intrusive. Oh well, Gilmour's not returning my calls…
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    ^^^WTF! Roger Barrett! Wakey wakey! No nore Gilmour tribute albums.End of! Would rather the Aussie Floyd!!
    Would not rather you learn right write?

BTW, does anyone know if Benoit David or Billy "Willy" Sherwood is involved here?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Waters was of course right people are SO FOOLED by marketing and brand names. Actual piece of doo-doo wrapped in a cd sleeve --shit. Same piece of shit slapped with the label Pink Floyd on it--masterpiece bought by potentially millions.

OR-, alternatively 21st Century Scizoid Band practices for US tour. Meh. Same group of musicians practice of tour with Fripp= pandemonium because the "Beast is back". Playing only music "the Beast" can play.

This is what I hate about rock and roll-the hype and marketing. Love the music and musicians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    This news just made a headline on MSN.com.
    And that's why ya release it under the Pink Floyd banner. A Gilmour & friends album would not be making news.

News spreading fast; also spotlighted on AOL / Huff Post, CNN, Billboard.com, dozens of local and national news items (just Google the album title) and a Wiki page started. Hope we hit a hundred pages here by October.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I wonder why Gilmour chose the gas up the engine again. I guess it guarantee's maximum exposure to the music. Perhaps putting it inside the Pink Floyd cannon ensures a kind of longevity that wouldn't be had otherwise.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I wonder why Gilmour chose the gas up the engine again. I guess it guarantee's maximum exposure to the music. Perhaps putting it inside the Pink Floyd cannon ensures a kind of longevity that wouldn't be had otherwise.
    Well, the music was originally created AS Pink Floyd - the Gilmour/Wright/Mason line-up - in 1994, so the results are perfectly entitled to the Pink Floyd name, and in fact there seems no reason to call it otherwise. It's not a Gilmour solo project, not a Wright solo project, and unless you consider a Waters-less line-up unworthy of the name Pink Floyd, there's no other name for it.

As for why - it's been said it is intended as a tribute to Wright.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The Brain Damage website is the place to go for all the latest:

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest...n-october.html

New Pink Floyd album, The Endless River, in October Print E-mail
    Written by Matt
    Saturday, 05 July 2014

Pink Floyd recording The Division BellTweeted on Polly Samson's Twitter feed is the rather unexpected but incredibly welcome news of a new Pink Floyd album. She revealed that it is called "The Endless River" and is based on sessions recorded in 1994 - which were for The Division Bell.

She also notes that it "is Rick Wright's swansong and very beautiful". The singer Durga McBroom-Hudson also expands on this, by stating the recent picture of David Gilmour in the studio with her (Durga), along with Sarah Brown and Louise Clare Marshall was not in actual fact from the recording sessions of David's new work, but from the sessions working on completing The Endless River (although this is not confirmed).

There were a number of comments from people concerning the lack of any outtakes in The Division Bell 20th anniversary boxset (particularly as the existence of some instrumental recordings - commonly known as The Big Spliff - has been known for many years and has moved into the stuff of legend and the odd dodgy download). Clearly, it seems, plans had been afoot for a standalone release for some time, which should please those who are only after these recordings so they don't have to buy a full box set just for this CD. Needless to say, this should prove incredibly popular and we expect demand to be very high.

More details, including ordering details and more, to come as soon as we have them.

UPDATE, 6th July: In today's The Sun on Sunday UK newspaper, under the tagline of 'Pigs Fly Again', is a report on the new album. Whilst none of their information is confirmed, and seems to come from an unnamed "source close to the project", there are some interesting updates. Included in the report they note that David and Nick have been working on this in the studio over the past six months, and that the material (sitting in a vault in London's Abbey Road Studios) has "been a joy for [them] to rediscover". They also make the point that Roger Waters is not involved in the project - a question we've had from a number of you. A spokesman for the band also stresses that there will be no accompanying live tour, although these last two points won't come as a surprise to many of you.

I just noticed that The Wall Immersion edition box has a "choking hazard" warning on it, and a Not a Toy warning. LOL.

Any one who is actually excited that Nick Mason is on the project has to remember he was BARELY on the last two records (87 and 94), supplanted by more competent session musicians. He's basically a race car collector and has been for some time. Even in the heyday, he would never be compared to Steve Gadd.

Wright was barely on the Wall because he had drug problems. I don't think he was a member for the 87 album, but was bought back for marketing and PR purposes, to offer "face time legitimacy" to the brand value. Since then, he was mostly in retirement.

Hell, even Waters hasn't released any new albums in years now.

These people are businessmen more than musicians. And have been for quite some time now, the vast majority of their professional careers.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Any one who is actually excited that Nick Mason is on the project has to remember he was BARELY on the last two records (87 and 94), supplanted by more competent session musicians. He's basically a race car collector and has been for some time. Even in the heyday, he would never be compared to Steve Gadd.

Wright was barely on the Wall because he had drug problems. I don't think he was a member for the 87 album, but was bought back for marketing and PR purposes, to offer "face time legitimacy" to the brand value. Since then, he was mostly in retirement.

Hell, even Waters hasn't released any new albums in years now.

These people are businessmen more than musicians. And have been for quite some time now, the vast majority of their professional careers.
    Gilmour and Wright seemed to play pretty well on those two live releases from Gilmour.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 07-06-2014 at 09:02 PM.

...I'll go replay Airbag...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The Brain Damage website is the place to go for all the latest:

http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/latest...n-october.html

New Pink Floyd album, The Endless River, in October Print E-mail
    Written by Matt
    Saturday, 05 July 2014

Pink Floyd recording The Division BellTweeted on Polly Samson's Twitter feed is the rather unexpected but incredibly welcome news of a new Pink Floyd album. She revealed that it is called "The Endless River" and is based on sessions recorded in 1994 - which were for The Division Bell.

She also notes that it "is Rick Wright's swansong and very beautiful". The singer Durga McBroom-Hudson also expands on this, by stating the recent picture of David Gilmour in the studio with her (Durga), along with Sarah Brown and Louise Clare Marshall was not in actual fact from the recording sessions of David's new work, but from the sessions working on completing The Endless River (although this is not confirmed).

There were a number of comments from people concerning the lack of any outtakes in The Division Bell 20th anniversary boxset (particularly as the existence of some instrumental recordings - commonly known as The Big Spliff - has been known for many years and has moved into the stuff of legend and the odd dodgy download). Clearly, it seems, plans had been afoot for a standalone release for some time, which should please those who are only after these recordings so they don't have to buy a full box set just for this CD. Needless to say, this should prove incredibly popular and we expect demand to be very high.

More details, including ordering details and more, to come as soon as we have them.

UPDATE, 6th July: In today's The Sun on Sunday UK newspaper, under the tagline of 'Pigs Fly Again', is a report on the new album. Whilst none of their information is confirmed, and seems to come from an unnamed "source close to the project", there are some interesting updates. Included in the report they note that David and Nick have been working on this in the studio over the past six months, and that the material (sitting in a vault in London's Abbey Road Studios) has "been a joy for [them] to rediscover". They also make the point that Roger Waters is not involved in the project - a question we've had from a number of you. A spokesman for the band also stresses that there will be no accompanying live tour, although these last two points won't come as a surprise to many of you.
    Official announcement from the record label is scheduled to come tomorrow.

- If - a tour or a select few shows do happen, tickets will be - pricey - especially if Roger is part of it. $$$$$ And everyone involved knows that.
    $$€€€£££€$$
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

chalkpie
    ^I thought there was a near 100% chance that Watergate would never be a part of this, plus he is doing a solo album yes?

No way Waters is involved.