Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New issue of PROG?

New issue of PROG?

Has anyone seen the Kate Bush cover issue in the US yet? None of the usual outlets in West Michigan seem to have it yet.

That's no longer the new issue.It's just been replaced on the UK shelves by the 'latest' issue which heavily features YES!!!
    Some gud stuff on the CD too!

I work in a record store in the Detroit metropolitan area and we sell Prog. The new issue has not arrived yet. We still have the Wakeman cover issue in stock. Patiently waiting...

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I work in a record store in the Detroit metropolitan area and we sell Prog. The new issue has not arrived yet. We still have the Wakeman cover issue in stock. Patiently waiting...
    Wow, the Wakeman issue is now 'two issues old'! What's the delay in getting this magazine onto the US shelves? Am I right in saying this is a 'quarterly' magazine?

The US is always one issue behind. It appears we are now two issues behind.

Subscription, fellas. It's always in my mailbox wayyyy before the stores get it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    The US is always one issue behind. It appears we are now two issues behind.
    Now if they had a little behind in the issues it might even interest me.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Wow, the Wakeman issue is now 'two issues old'! What's the delay in getting this magazine onto the US shelves? Am I right in saying this is a 'quarterly' magazine?
    It is not quarterly.
    It's a little longer than monthly, maybe every five weeks.

UK issue dates:
    Wakeman - 23 April
    Bush - 28 May
    Yes - 2 July
    next - 6 August

I stop getting this mag over a year ago and I don't miss reading all about those 70s bands over and over and over....

Does anyone know of a mag that actually discusses the more current scene???
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    I stop getting this mag over a year ago and I don't miss reading all about those 70s bands over and over and over....

Does anyone know of a mag that actually discusses the more current scene???
    Yeah, Prog Magazine!!!
    Latest issue has features on Knifeworld, Nick Magnus, Robert Reed, Katatonia, The Gift & loads of new bands I know nothing about? The free CD is also full of tracks by new prog bands

Yeah, Prog Magazine!!!
    Latest issue has features on Knifeworld, Nick Magnus, Robert Reed, Katatonia, The Gift & loads of new bands I know nothing about? The free CD is also full of tracks by new prog bands
    I take it you don't know a good mag then....

Thanks anyway...

I take it you don't know a good mag then....

Thanks anyway...
    hahahaha Not heard Knifeworld then. Highly recommended

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stevens View Post
    hahahaha Not heard Knifeworld then. Highly recommended
    What does knifeworld have to do with the Mag and when there are threads started about them how can anyone who comes here not know about them????

What does knifeworld have to do with the Mag and when there are threads started about them how can anyone who comes here not know about them????
    They are an example of an excellent new band that are featured in the magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Stevens View Post
    They are an example of an excellent new band that are featured in the magazine.
    By all means enjoy the 25% of the mag that introduces some of the newer bands along with rereading about the older ones over and over and over...

By all means enjoy the 25% of the mag that introduces some of the newer bands along with rereading about the older ones over and over and over...
    I do! I enjoy both

In the meantime, I'll imagine a world where a magazine could ever get off the ground that focused purely on new, unknown prog rock bands.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I do! I enjoy both

In the meantime, I'll imagine a world where a magazine could ever get off the ground that focused purely on new, unknown prog rock bands.

^^^^Correct! A mag that concentrated 100% on new bands would have no commercial viability for a publisher!!!

How about we stay on topic? Has any one seen the Kate Bush cover in book stores in the US?

WORD! But Jesus Christ, consider the source!

FWIW, we had a Norwegian quarterly called Tarkus which existed between 1996 and 2011 and issued almost 60 editions all in all; there were some 1700 reviews, out of which 90% covered new and/or contemporary artists, 70% of which were not "big six" enhancements, as well as hundreds of articles on acts, techniques, topics and approaches - and we garnered several hundred subscribers in first-language countries (i.e. Norway, Sweden, Denmark, borderline Finland), as well as regular ad support from "serious" labels such as Rune Grammofon and Cuneiform.

The mag was, in short, put to rest because of work overload and the fact that it felt obscolete in light of web developments. Ironically, there's still a website but the contents are limited and, quite obviously, all in Norwegian: http://www.tarkus.org/

If you want to read intelligent, well pondered recensions, seek out the Babyblaue site (albeit in German) or writers like Dominic Leone and Brandon Wu.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^^^^Correct! A mag that concentrated 100% on new bands would have no commercial viability for a publisher!!!
    Who set up the parameters that it has to be 100% new bands????
    Oh yeah you did to try and prove a point...

Hey if everyone is fine dropping that much money to read MOSTLY about bands they've been reading about for the last 40 years then go for it... Hopefully the new mag will come out and mostly discuss YES and their weak new album...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    WORD! But Jesus Christ, consider the source!
    I'm sorry but I don't know the source well enough to consider them and I'm obviously in the minority about the usefulness of this mag and I didn't even get into the reviews and the way some of the writers cryptically present them...

I'm sorry but I don't know the source well enough to consider them and I'm obviously in the minority about the usefulness of this mag and [...]
    The "source", in this case, was the origin of person who kept bragging about the opportunity to read 'PROG Mag' to find out who the "unknown" Knifeworld are, whilst on the other hand educating his surroundings on what is/isn't "prog" or the "greater canon" of such.

As for the mag, I personally couldn't possibly agree with you more. Apart from S. Smith and S. Davis, there's little next to nothing of editorial interest in there. What I perceive to be the main weakness of it all, is the lack of truly seasoned (or scholared, if necessary), all-encompassing writers on the basic subject itself - not from the neighbouring angle of hard rock/metal or classic rock or AOR or whatever, but from the concept of 'progressive rock music' as part of the alternative underground movement in contemporary pop/rock music for the past 35 years. Instead we've got perspectives constantly aschewing the fact that the "cultural infrastructure" of modern pop/rock is in absolute *no way* comparable to that long lost world which somehow appears to still form a background to the tale they are trying to convey. Consequently, any grasp at aesthetic essence or artistic virtue seems left to random, or to weigh out on whether or not things fit with that specific tale. Progressive greatness has happened and developed in spades during these 35 years, but except for the odd detail (check Knifeworld), such phenomena are hardly touched upon and usually never contextualized into a broader frame of historic or theoretical reference.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Prog fans will never be happy. Just the fact that there is a worldwide distributed magazine that is dedicated to progressive rock in 2014 is amazing in itself. If you would have told me, even 10 years ago, that this would be possible I would have said you were nuts. True, Progression Magazine has stood the test of time, but Classic Rock Presents Prog appears to have much more mainstream distribution / marketing clout behind it. Does it focus too much on old bands? Yea, maybe, but they do at least make an effort to expose newer bands old guard prog fans. I have said this before, but I still don’t think many people on this forum realize just how incredibly small the prog “underground” is.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Prog fans will never be happy. Just the fact that there is a worldwide distributed magazine that is dedicated to progressive rock in 2014 is amazing in itself. If you would have told me, even 10 years ago, that this would be possible I would have said you were nuts. True, Progression Magazine has stood the test of time, but Classic Rock Presents Prog appears to have much more mainstream distribution / marketing clout behind it. Does it focus too much on old bands? Yea, maybe, but they do at least make an effort to expose newer bands old guard prog fans. I have said this before, but I still don’t think many people on this forum realize just how incredibly small the prog “underground” is.
    I'm a prog fan and I'm perfectly happy. I just don't find much in this mag - for me. This isn't to say that it's "bad"; not badly edited, written etc. And you are INDEED correct in that the very existence of such a widely established journal is a great thing, and that they DO tend to play the role of informer towards those sticking to yore exclusively. But they do so with the prejudice of pointing to a similar safety zone - that of Angloamerican wannabe success riding. I just wish they would pay some more actual journalistic attention to the wider scope of things, seeing how they pride themselves in covering such wide acres with a wide profile. "Progressive rock" is tiny, yes; all the more amazing that it's in fact a more or less GLOBAL phenomenon - so where's that for an angle? Not as an offroad paragraph, but as a general editorial line? Historically, progressive rock was bigger and lasted longer in countries like Argentina than in much of western Europe - and artists remaining completely unknown to the general "genre" fanbase may have been enormous and enduringly influential in their respective spheres, yet we are offered the same, same, same - or at least something within conveniant distance of "our" home. Magazines should be at the forefront, and I respect the view that to many, 'PROG Mag' probably are. But you really don't need to move that much about to see that this whole thing is a question of priorities and getting them in order.

It is a business guys and with that comes the need for a certain level of sales to balance the costs of running a professional operation, , I think they balance it pretty well and for everyone that only wants to know about the new scene, there a.re 3 readers who want to read about the older artists, I hate to sound harsh but this is indeed the case. It even makes a difference who is on the cover. Please of course feel free to start your own if you feel there is a gap in the market.