Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New issue of PROG?

End of this week, today is Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    No Prog at Barnes and Nobel as of today, still have the Wakeman cover .
    Why don't you have a subscription???
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I spoke with managers at both Barnes & Noble and Newbury Comics, neither of which has any issues of Prog on their stands. I was told yesterday by the B&N manager that they do not expect to be getting any issues until September and these will not include the Kate or Yes issues. Newbury says they may not be handling these mags at all in the future.

I do have subscriptions, just not to Prog.

I do have subscriptions, just not to Prog.
    I don't blame you....

Picking and choosing is the only way to go with this mag....
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Still no Prog at B and N.

I was at my local Barnes and Noble today and still nothing. Saw Kate Bush on a different British music mag, just not Prog. Maybe that distributor has their crap together..... Can't wait to read the new Classic Rock, oh wait same problem....

In relation to the latest posts, this is what our circulation manager has to say: I would expect that Newbury Comic’s was fulfilled by Source’s non-traditional distribution arm “Retail Vision” and given they do not exist anymore it’s likely that that they won’t receive Prog ongoing. On Barnes and Noble, the info given by the store manager is incorrect as previously discussed there has been disruption but I have seen confirmation from our US Wholesaler that copies where due out over the weekend, just may have taken a little time to filter through it to stores...

Yep, still not there today.

I just finally bit the bullet and started a subscription to Prog. On the UK site, there is a 30% Off Sale now in effect until August 6th. With a 2 year subscription, the price per issue is $7.50 US delivered to the door. What is the price at a B&N? The US site for Prog wants $12.00 per issue as a comparison.

Yes, it is expensive. But the only other subscription I have is to Progression....so I really don't break the bank on magazines per year.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Brian - we don't really know what to say. We can only pass on the information being given to us.

You can purchase the Kate Bush issue direct from here: http://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.u...e-back-issues/

Ive been getting them direct from myfavoritemagazines now for better then two years (I'm in Canada).. never had any problems and find it quite a bit cheaper then the local Chapters (when they get it). Can't comment on the new US subscription company as I have no reason to change over to them....

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

In today, west Michigan B and N!

Purchased the 6 back issues from the UK website Monday night (7/28) and they were on my doorstep just south of Seattle, WA USA Wednesday afternoon (7/30). Yes, they were shipped from the UK. I call that service IMHO.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

In today, west Michigan B and N!
    Is that the Kate Bush issue or the latest issue?

Kate Bush, which also ordered from the UK almost two weeks ago (for a friend) not here yet.

Ipad Dowmload. Just got the issue with THAT. Band on the cover

Subscribed on my iPad a few months ago - $3.99 per issue. I didn't buy it in Canada - each issue was about $25 which wasn't really worth it to me.

Do the mags delivered by mail come with the cardboard covers, and if so, protected in any way?

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    Do the mags delivered by mail come with the cardboard covers, and if so, protected in any way?
    Yes to the first question. The cardboard covers are wrapped in thin plastic but basically ARE the protection of the magazine. I've been subscribing since about issue #6 or whenever subscriptions started, and the mag (and CD) have always been in perfect shape from the UK to Canada. The cardboard itself is sometimes dented, but overall no complaints.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I see there's some Yes and Ian Anderson and Dream Theater in there. Perhaps some Fish/Marill as well? Oh, I sure hope so.

Just bought it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Just picked up the Kate cover ish at B&N in Holyoke (MA). many copies there.

https://www.facebook.com/StevenWilso...744646/?type=1

*****SLIGHT SPOILER***********
    10377445_792756180744646_412330075294272305_n.jpg

Last month, UK magazine Prog sent out a request to all those with an interest in progressive music to email in a list of their favourite albums, and apparently received a huge response. In the new issue the results are published and Steven's album The Raven that Refused to Sing is ranked at number 9 in the resulting top 100 best progressive rock albums of all time. 'Fear of a Blank Planet' is the highest ranked Porcupine Tree album at number 19, whilst Steven's other 2 solo records, 3 more PT albums and Steven's collaboration with Mikael Åkerfeldt, 'Storm Corrosion' also make the top 100 (the magazine also features an interview with Mikael and a review of the brilliant new Opeth record Pale Communion). Thanks to all those who voted for these albums!

Recording of the follow up album to The Raven that Refused to Sing starts this month (with the same band line up). Release is scheduled for early 2015, more updates soon.

FoabP? mmkay..here's MY personal PT album rankings..

1. Lightbulb Sun
    2. Deadwing
    3. Signify
    4. The Sky Moves Sideways
    5. In Absentia
    6. Up the Downstair
    7. Stupid Dream
    8. Voyage 34
    9. The Incident
    10. Nil Recurring
    11. Fear of a Blank Planet
    12. On the Sunday of Life

Good features on Knifeworld, Umphrey's, Richard Thompson, Cropredy fest and more (Sid S's thoughtful memorandum on Crosby's IICORMN is one of the finest things I've read by him); some really superfluous stuff on the usual suspects (Yes/Morse et al.).

What really leaves a lot to be desired is the stylistic and geographic scope of the reviews section, plus the overall attention on Anglosaxon acts and the shunning of idiomatic depth altogether. But from the five issues I've bought, this is probably the most rewarding. And they *do* dare express their honest opin on that Heaven and Earth thing.

A nice read this time.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM