Thread: Rob Reed - Sanctuary video

Rob Reed - Sanctuary video

Another video preview from Rob Reed's new album Sanctuary.

Pre-orders now available at www.robreedofficial.co.uk

The video shows Rob performing an array of instruments in the studio as he runs through a performance of Sanctuary Excerpt 1.

The Magenta and Kompendium mastermind releases the album on Monday, July 21, and has described it as his own tribute to Mike Oldfield's classic album Tubular Bells.

Inspired by Oldfield's work when he was just seven-years-old, Reed set out to learn how to play every instrument on the album and launched an impressive career.

On Sanctuary, he set out to pay tribute to Tubular Bells, but not make a pastiche of it. He says: “I worked hard to make the melodies stand on their own. I wanted to capture the emotion that Mike Oldfield managed to communicate through his playing.

“I wanted to use voices, but not have lyrics – just vowels combined with nonsensical words.”

Oldfield collaborators Tom Newman and Simon Heyworth respectively co-produced and mastered Sanctuary.

There's a track included on the CD in the latest issue of Prog Magazine.

I must admit, I was rolling my eyes at this until the keys came in. From there on out it gets a lot more interesting. Not bad at all!

NP: Miles Davis In a Silent Way

And a great interview

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    At the end of the video it says Now Available. Are preorders shipping already?

That is a bit misleading. July 21st is the shipping date.

I don't get this. What is the point of mimicking the sounds, the arrangements, the structure and probably even the way it is mixed and then just rewrite the melodies and the chords so you can say you wrote it?

Rob Reed has done some great work and when I heard about this I thought / hoped that he would be able to use the general outline / ambition of those first 4 Oldfield albums and create new fresh music. Based on the provided previews that is not what we are getting

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ I guess not everything he's done has been super original - there was that Fyreworks album which was intentionally retro. But I this album will be good.