Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins

chalkpie

Phil Collins

I heard "One more Night" in the dentist office today. True story.

I thought he was great in A Hard Day's Night and Calamity The Cow. It's been downhill ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I thought he was great in A Hard Day's Night and Calamity The Cow. It's been downhill ever since.
    Wow, you didn't even like Ark II?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Wow, you didn't even like Ark II?
    That's the Flaming Youth record, right? You know what? Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever actually heard that.

But I was being facetious with my original post.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That's the Flaming Youth record, right? You know what? Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever actually heard that.

But I was being facetious with my original post.
    I know, I was running with the joke. I failed.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Phil Collins ruined root canal.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Phil Collins ruined root canal.
    Definitely not his high point, yet it takes balls the size of Montana to sing that in front of as many people as he did. There is no way I could do it without laughing.

I heard "Long Distance Runaround" in the dentist's today.

My dentist has a better choice in music.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Phil Collins has ruined PE.

chalkpie
    ^Which is why he might be one of the greatest dudes ever. "One More Night" to that stuff? What a great pocket player. The guy covered some serious ground. I love him - I know the real Genesis Nerd Wankers hate on him - but fuck 'em. Fuck 'em Phil, fuck 'em!!

That seems backward to me.

Kenny G's music[sic] would be a better replacement for novocaine. Phil Collins just seems like he'd make the pain WORSE.

chalkpie

This shit rules!

chalkpie
    ^Diggin' that!

Oh crap. I thought it was Derek Bailey and Phil Collins.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Of Phil's solo albums, I think Face Value is his greatest. It's essentially the perfect counterpart to Duke, and some of the leftovers from Phil's writing sessions went to Duke. I forgot that "The Roof Is Leaking," "Droned," and "Hand In Hand" are all one eleven-minute suite of music with the last 8 minutes (Droned/Hand In Hand) being entirely instrumental.

The following three tracks are meant to be heard in order:

The album also begins with "In The Air Tonight" and includes "I'm Not Moving" and another take on "Behind the Lines." "If Leaving Me Is Easy" is a good one too.

Great album. The demos are fun to listen to as well.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 07-04-2014 at 01:20 AM.

WeatherWiseCDC
    "I'm Not Moving" came from a darker idea called "Please Don't Break My Heart." Considering the circumstances that caused Phil to write all of the material in the first place, I think the demo really illustrates some of the emotions he was experiencing at the time. The final piece is just 2:35 long; I would have liked to see the original idea be completed and appended to the start of it, segueing into it and making it a lengthier track. I think it would have worked as a dialogue.

Listen to them back-to-back:

I think they are different enough that they complement one another. The demo seems as though it's from the perspective of someone who has been hurt and is leaving; "I'm Not Moving" seems to be a promise from the other party that he will wait. I suppose it's a bit of a missed opportunity; the final song is terrific. I just wish a variation of the demo would have been added to the start of it to lengthen it and give it some extra context. Phil decided to include "Please Don't Ask" on Duke instead; we observe the same theme in that song.
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 07-04-2014 at 02:14 AM.

This shit rules!
    Phil should have gone with this version for da kidz.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I heard "Long Distance Runaround" in the dentist's today.

My dentist has a better choice in music.
    My dentist always has the local hard rock station on. Last time I had a root canal I heard ACDC and Led Zep. I enjoyed it (the music, that is...) but I remember thinking that for most patients that was a terrible choice of music.

Remember the Alamo!
    "The Bill of Rights says nothing about the freedom of hearing. This, of course, takes a lot of the fun out of the freedom of speech." - Pat Paulsen

My Art- http://www.facebook.com/williamallenrenfro -My Life

^Which is why he might be one of the greatest dudes ever. "One More Night" to that stuff? What a great pocket player. The guy covered some serious ground. I love him - I know the real Genesis Nerd Wankers hate on him - but fuck 'em. Fuck 'em Phil, fuck 'em!!
    +1 love Genesis, love Phil. Sure, I could have done without Invisible Touch or I Can't Dance (the songs), but I blame the trio, not Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    My dentist always has the local hard rock station on. Last time I had a root canal I heard ACDC and Led Zep. I enjoyed it (the music, that is...) but I remember thinking that for most patients that was a terrible choice of music.
    My guy has a bunch of rock memorabilia on the walls (or reprints of). Beatles, Stones, Led Zep. I think he's got one of those Sirius "deep cut" stations on.

Given his location, half his clientele does not speak English, so I wonder to whom he is trying to cater. The receptionist is a hispanic lady who always calls me "Mr. Matt."
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.