Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I remember I heard the first time I heard some tracks for Face Value: it was on February 5th 1981 before Camel would start their Nude-concert in Groningen, The Netherlands.
    The day after that I bought the album (so I guess it was released a bit earlier in Europe).
    Of course I first had hoped for a more Brand X-like record, but after I got used to it, I really loved it. (But I never bought another PC-album again.)
    Its definitely my fav PC solo album. Definitely not Brand X like

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Its definitely my fav PC solo album. Definitely not Brand X like
    For sure. My fav is probably Hello, I Must Be Going, but IMO his first three solo albums are still his best — and all excellent records too.

Face Value
    Moving Pictures
    Peter Gabriel
    Peter Tork

Face Value is such a fantastic album. The Roof is Leaking and his take on Behind the Lines are a couple favs of mine.

Outside of that album, I love I Don't Care Anymore (I listened to that a lot during my divorce) and Hang in Long Enough is a really cool jam.

I think But Seriously is my favorite of Phil's solo album. I like a good horn section, and this one seems more consistent than Face Value which is all over the place on style.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    I think But Seriously is my favorite of Phil's solo album. I like a good horn section, and this one seems more consistent than Face Value which is all over the place on style.
    That's why I dig it....very eclectic and in a way naive, but that's the charm.

Quote Originally Posted by julioscissors View Post
    Face Value is such a fantastic album. The Roof is Leaking and his take on Behind the Lines are a couple favs of mine.

Outside of that album, I love I Don't Care Anymore (I listened to that a lot during my divorce) and Hang in Long Enough is a really cool jam.
    Totally agreed on all of this. "I Don't Care Anymore" is such a cool atmospheric song; I listened to it a lot during a breakup many years ago.

I'm glad to see someone mention "Hang In Long Enough" too. I like that one.

FWIW

"Both Sides" is my favorite from him by a fairly wide stretch. "Face Value" is a comfy second. Most of the rest all have at least a tune or three that I like (or love), and a tune or three I'd be OK never hearing again. I don't care for "Going Back" or "Brother Bear" at all.

One of my favorite moments was in 1994 on the "Both Sides" tour, when he came out and started the show with a drum duet that led into "I Don't Care Anymore."
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I guess I should check out Both Sides....honestly don't think I've ever heard the entire album.

I guess I should check out Both Sides....honestly don't think I've ever heard the entire album.
    I think it's by far his best. It's more understated, without much of the usual horns, catchy choruses and slick production. The simple, strong atmosphere to tracks like Can't Find My Way and We Fly So Close is very effective, and the more upbeat tracks like Survivors, We Wait And We Wonder and the title track all have more staying power with me than similar tracks on other albums. Maybe it's the sparser production, I don't know. This album just clicks with me.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Density Cluster
    It took me a LONG time to listen past the "oh my god, not this song AGAIN" factor, but once when I was working a restaurant job, "In The Air Tonight" came on and I had no recourse to escape. Somehow I was able to listen to it with relatively fresh ears and it's got some pretty adventurous stuff happening for such a huge hit. It really takes its time in some very floaty territory before building up to the infamous climax, and then THAT BASSLINE. I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about it, but it's really cool! Of course I then found out it was John Giblin, who has done tons of great stuff

Phil has often said it is his favorite solo LP, the one he is most proud of. FYI he plays all the instruments which is why I think it does not resonate with everyone. His guitar and keyboard playing/sounds are not the best. Not my favorite Phil Lp for sure but it does have very good material on it... some of the songs just seem unfinished, demo like. It could have been helped by Daryl, Leland and real horns I'm sure but again the LP is very personnel to Phil. He even wrote detailed liner notes about each song.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    To me you hit the nail on the head with the all over the place comment... but I think that is why it is his most brilliant LP. He was a minor writer in Genesis and when the band went on hiatus in 78/79 and his marriage began to dissolve he began to write. He had such diverse musical likes from the Beatles to Motown, Weather Report, Santana, big band, jazz... It just flowed out of him in every direction... I think Hello I Must Be Going was just the same. No one was more surprised than Tony and Mike I'm sure, well other than Ahmet Ertegun at Atlantic. I remember reading about Ahmet reminiscing about hearing those first demos and being blown away how personnel and good the songs were. Phil has said before he really wrote for himself, basically the therapy of it and Ahmet was the one who really encouraged him to record a solo LP. Getting off track, sorry but both were brilliant LP's and what a great tour that first tour was. Look for the soundboard boots if you have not heard them! To this day one of my favorite tours by any artist. I've never heard anyone sing a tune with the conviction he did on I Don't Care Anymore on that first tour! He played every tune from those 2 LP's except Tomorrow Never Knows. The encores were the Brand X tune And So To F (which killed) and People Get Ready.

Well anyway those are my favorite Phil albums. I think they are both 10's. Other than You Can't Hurry Love I don't think a single tune was written with the radio in mind. Songs Like If Leaving Me is Easy, This Must be Love, The Roof is Leaking, I Missed Again, I Cannot Believe It's True, It Don't matter to Me, Don't Let Him Steal Your Heart Away were straight from the heart... they don't sound like traditional pop songs to me... well in my opinion anyway. Maybe a better way to say it is he did not intend to make either of those LP's commercial successes which is why they were all over the musical map. I think No Jacket was his first real intended commercial LP.

Just going to leave this here.

Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^ Crazy! Talented bloke and not afraid to laugh at himself. Or Elvis.

I always enjoy watching him on the drums, regardless of the context. He's one of those drummers who (for me at least) makes the drums feel like an extension of himself, no matter how simple or complex the part being played. It's always a little effortless. Which is cool.

IMHO.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Where the hell is that from??
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Besides Brand X, Genesis, solo career etc. among other of PCs significant accomplishments include spawning the beautiful Lily Collins and being a master Model Railroader - he's a real Renaissance man!
    The Present Day Composer refuses to DIE!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I think it's by far his best. It's more understated, without much of the usual horns, catchy choruses and slick production. The simple, strong atmosphere to tracks like Can't Find My Way and We Fly So Close is very effective, and the more upbeat tracks like Survivors, We Wait And We Wonder and the title track all have more staying power with me than similar tracks on other albums. Maybe it's the sparser production, I don't know. This album just clicks with me.
    Agreed 100%. It’s a fantastic album .

Speaking of Phil...

Live at Perkins Palace. I remember seeing Jon Anderson on the Animation tour there not long before this. Good times.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Speaking of Phil...

Live at Perkins Palace. I remember seeing Jon Anderson on the Animation tour there not long before this. Good times.
    What a show and tour... I was lucky enough to see it. Daryl ripped on that. I wonder where that video came from? And So To F was on the audio soundboard bootleg but it was not part of the tv broadcast. It was sloppy at the beginning but clearly pro shot... I wonder if there is more!

Quote Originally Posted by rich View Post
    What a show and tour... I was lucky enough to see it. Daryl ripped on that. I wonder where that video came from? And So To F was on the audio soundboard bootleg but it was not part of the tv broadcast. It was sloppy at the beginning but clearly pro shot... I wonder if there is more!
    According to the almighty Wiki, the entire show was first broadcast on HBO (back when pretty much that's all there was!) but it also saw release on VHS in 1983. I'm guessing it was never reissued on LaserDisc or DVD.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Sadly, And So To F... is not on the VHS or laserdisc release of the Perkins Palace show, but the audio did finally turn up in digital form on the expanded Face Value CD.IMG_1030.jpgtemp.jpg
    Last edited by Wah3; 03-06-2021 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Speaking of Phil...

Yes! And Steve Hackett in that same timeframe. Perkins Palace was great for this kid. Close enough to ride my bike to gigs before I was old enough to drive.