Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD - Caravan : In the Land of Grey and Pink

FEATURED CD - Caravan : In the Land of Grey and Pink

Per "Constable Napweed" in the old PE system:
    Great album by the Canterbury proggers, and indeed a forerunner to that early "Camel" sound. The album starts off in a lighthearted quirky fashion with the delightful "Golf Girl" before getting more serious with the brilliant "Winter Wine". The fuzz organ sounds form the lead breaks on this album and sometimes you can swear it’s a guitar. Great songs and great playing is the only way to describe this masterpiece of an album. No one were creating this type of music quite like Caravan in 1971. Pastel shades of music ranging from melancholic moments right thru to rocky organ led moments, leaves this album as a real treasure to behold both in 1971 and indeed in 2003.

If you love prog rock and are not familiar with this album....give it a spin in your local record shop.

Regards,

Duncan

I only really like 9 Feet and the title track. I prefer the ones before and after this.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    I only really like 9 Feet and the title track. I prefer the ones before and after this.
    Winter Wine is fabulous, a condensed version of everything Caravan can do in 7 minutes ...

Golf Girl is another goodie, but its Beatles-esque aura takes some getting used to.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Thanks to the buddy who many moons urged me to check out Caravan via this album. It's obviously a classic, and one I can spin any time and always enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Golf Girl is another goodie, but its Beatles-esque aura takes some getting used to.
    Saying "Golf Girl" is Beatles-esque is a bit of a stretch, doncha think? Richard's vocal, Dave's solo, the flute bit, the whole vibe of the song... it's all straight up Canterbury to my ears. You'd have an easier argument to make with "Love To Love You", methinks.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Loved it (and played it) to death over the years.Still one of my three fave early Caravan's,behind "If I Could Do It All Over Again.." and "Plump In The Night".
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Great album and one of my all time favorites....but then I love the Canterbury stuff .

Awesome. One of my all time favorite Canterbury albums.

Love it, wouldn't change a thing about it. All of their first three are 5-star classics to me.

I'd say 'Winter Wine' is my favourite track on here, it's like a summary of what they did best...certainly David Sinclair contributed some of his finest ever playing to that track IMHO.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Classic and a favorite among many caravan gems.

One of my fave albums.

When I was stationed in Germany in the early 80s, our company took an Army Bus to Luxembourg for a weekend of leave. I found a cassette of this album and we played Nine Feet Underground non stop. The groove was intoxicating. Mind you, there was quite a diverse bunch of soldiers on that bus...

41094_1472603908628_895450_n.jpg

1425675_10201855909512956_793586677_n.jpg
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by oilersfan View Post
    Awesome. One of my all time favorite Canterbury albums.
    This.

I could never get into this one. Golf Girl seems kind of silly and unfortunately sort of ruined the album for me. I may have to give it another chance and just skip that one!

It's completely wonderful, although actually not one of my very fave Canterbury albums. I can still listen to this day in day out and not grow tired. Such unpretentious, gracefully emotional and pleasantly melancholy tone.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Great album. I've played the "air organ" hundreds of times while playing Nine Feet...
    The only thing I regretted was that when I bought the LP the gatefold didn't exsist anymore...

I've been trying to get into this album for years. No success yet, but I'll give it another spin. (Must be a jazz thing.)
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Classic, all the way through. Winter Wine is one of the most masterfully crafted progressive songs ever.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I can do without "Golf Girl" and "Love To Love You," and Sinclair gets a bit too much space on "9FU" for my taste. I rank it fourth of the first five studio LPs.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I'll never get tired of this album. The organ solo of Winter Wine is ingenious in its epic simplicity. David Sinclair didn't have that much chops back then, but he makes up for it with ideas and taste. However, my favourite moment on the album is probably around the 16-minute mark in Nine Feet Underground when the instrumental mayhem finally gives way to Richard Sinclair singing one of the most blissful melodies I've ever heard.

Frozen Rose (mislabeled I Don't Know Its Name on the remastered CD) is also a great track, but I can understand why they left it off the album as it has a somewhat similar vibe to Winter Wine and there wouldn't have been room for both.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    I'll never get tired of this album.
    +1

And since seeing the Romantic Warriors documentary, my admiration for Dave Sinclair is even greater.
    Think of a book as a vase, and a movie as the stained-glass window that the filmmaker has made out of the pieces after he’s smashed it with a hammer.
    -- Russell Banks (paraphrased)

Off on a tangent, i know.Dave Sinclair singing and playing keyboard.The tune is Disassociation, from Nine Feet Underground.

The music starts at 3:30 in.Enjoy.

Last edited by walt; 02-12-2016 at 01:05 PM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Of the albums I own by them it is probably my favorite. The perfect mix of their "pop" side and their "prog" side.

I could hear this album every day of my life and never grow weary of it. Sublime, beautiful, melodic and whimsical and a desert island disc for me.

LOVE.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I can do without "Golf Girl" and "Love To Love You,"

Banned
    Without a doubt one of the greatest albums of 70s English prog.