Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 248

Thread: Phil Collins

  1. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Coventry, UK
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    No big deal. Daddy is super rich, so Simon will just have to say he's sorry while thousands of blokes will be off to prison and be ass raped.
    Maybe not. The UK legal system has been quite good at putting famous rich people in jail recently.

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Oh,
    His son (Simon Collins) has been arrested for drugs offences:

    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...substance.html
    Just read the Mail newspaper which has a more in depth article than the link, it appears Collins wasn't a very good 'Pappy' to his two oldest children?

  3. #53
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego, California
    Posts
    19
    LOL Frankie. This thread should prove pretty humorous.
    After Selling England By The Pound I found Genesis very uninteresting and Phil had nothing to do with that. While I have no love of Phil's pop outings his instrumental work on the drums is/was outstanding, one of the best. All the stuff that Udi has posted are great examples.

  4. #54
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    4,598
    Quote Originally Posted by adewolf View Post
    LOL Frankie. This thread should prove pretty humorous.
    After Selling England By The Pound I found Genesis very uninteresting and Phil had nothing to do with that. While I have no love of Phil's pop outings his instrumental work on the drums is/was outstanding, one of the best. All the stuff that Udi has posted are great examples.
    If one were to not listen to Genesis after Selling England by the Pound, then they would not have heard the piece Tony Banks said did Collins vertebrae in.


    Last edited by Firth; 07-06-2014 at 10:46 AM.
    On the verge of indecision
    I'll always take the roundabout way

  5. #55
    WeatherWiseCDC
    Guest
    Hi Firth,

    Recently, all of the tracks from the coveted Virgin/Charisma PDO pressing of Duke, mastered by Barry Diament, were uploaded to YouTube. They're labeled "CBRCD 101" in the video titles. It blows away the recent 2008 remix. It's also the mix that we're all familiar with; until now, only the remix was available on YouTube, which is brickwalled and tinny. It's also way better than the 1994 Definitive Edition version, which was drowned in bass.

    Enjoy!



    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 07-07-2014 at 09:47 AM.

  6. #56
    chalkpie
    Guest
    ^ Yeah man. I bought this disc years back courtesy of Carney's suggestion.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Calamity The Cow
    Most in need of a Criterion Collection remastered blu-ray!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

  8. #58
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    10,827
    Phil Collins ruined "Buster!"

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Most in need of a Criterion Collection remastered blu-ray!
    With full commentary from the drummer himself.

  10. #60
    Jefferson James
    Guest
    "Easy Lover" has been stuck in my head the past couple of days, before I even saw this thread. I like that song, and I liked the video where, at one point, Philip Bailey says, "Wait, I'm trying to think," or something. I always wondered, what was he trying to think of?

    Phil is frighteningly pervasive.

    Speaking of overplayed '80s albums and artists, I listened to The Police's "Synchronicity" in full for the first time in probably 30 years this past weekend; man, it took 30 years of not hearing it to realize what a great album it is, fearless, even (ie. "Mother").

    "Every girl I go out with becomes my mother in the end."

    I was reminded of what a bitchin' guitarist Andy Summers is, how much attitude Copeland transfers to the snare alone, and of course, Sting's cheekbones.

    "She wanted a man who had that Sting thing happening." -- The Negro Problem, Ghetto Godot

  11. #61
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,403
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Speaking of overplayed '80s albums and artists, I listened to The Police's "Synchronicity" in full for the first time in probably 30 years this past weekend; man, it took 30 years of not hearing it to realize what a great album it is, fearless, even (ie. "Mother").

    "Every girl I go out with becomes my mother in the end."
    Would be a perfect album if not for that awful "Mother" song.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  12. #62
    Jefferson James
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Would be a perfect album if not for that awful "Mother" song.
    I know, right? What I love is that it's on the album at all; I mean, it sounds pretty weird sitting alongside all those Sting hits, which, in hindsight, makes the whole album all that much cooler to me. The Police were at the top of their game and yet they still had the sense of...whatever it is...to have this song on the album.

    Wack.

  13. #63
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,826
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    I know, right? What I love is that it's on the album at all; I mean, it sounds pretty weird sitting alongside all those Sting hits, which, in hindsight, makes the whole album all that much cooler to me. The Police were at the top of their game and yet they still had the sense of...whatever it is...to have this song on the album.

    Wack.
    The "Who Dunnit?" syndrome I guess. The 'out-there, out-of-place, sure-to-be-hated' ugly track that someone decided should be on there. Wasn't always a 100% band decision, methinks.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk

  14. #64
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Streets of San Francisco
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Phil Collins ruined "Buster!"

    OK... the extremely unfunny continues

  15. #65
    Member zorknapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Would be a perfect album if not for that awful "Mother" song.
    Love the song, and I actually have a good relationship with my mom, so it's not that!

    I just enjoy the odd-ness of it.

    Mike

  16. #66
    Suspended
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    32S 116E
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    Love the song, and I actually have a good relationship with my mom, so it's not that!

    I just enjoy the odd-ness of it.

    Mike
    To call "Mother" a song is stretching the definition of "song".

    Apart from that one , I love this album.it shows off everything the Police were good at, from the stark minimalism of "Walking In Your Footsteps" to the lyrical and musical complexity of "Synchronicity II".
    Last edited by bob_32_116; 07-08-2014 at 10:54 AM.

  17. #67
    Jefferson James
    Guest
    I see "Mother" as being akin to the mole on Marilyn Monroe's face.

  18. #68
    Member zorknapp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    To call "Mother" a song is stretching the definition of "song".

    Apart from that one , I love this album.it shows off everything the Police were good at, from the stark minimalism of "Walking In Your Footsteps" to the lyrical and musical complexity of "Synchronicity II".
    I really didn't know this song (and yes, it's a song, I've heard a lot of more strange music than that, which are also songs) was so disliked. It really is one of the high points of the album for me.

    Different strokes, etc....

    Mike

  19. #69
    Member PotatoSolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    37
    Wow, this is the ugliest thread this place has seen in quite a while. So ... congrats?

  20. #70
    chalkpie
    Guest
    Not really. Aside from a few sneers I think its actually nice to hear some compliments heading Phil's way, especially regarding his playing.

  21. #71
    All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,910

  22. #72
    Is that a tambourine in your pants or are you just happy to see me?



    Oh, it's a tambourine.

  23. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    I. The Police were at the top of their game and yet they still had the sense of...whatever it is...to have this song on the album.
    .
    A sense of Summers wanting some songwriting royalties?

  24. #74
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,403
    Quote Originally Posted by zorknapp View Post
    I really didn't know this song (and yes, it's a song, I've heard a lot of more strange music than that, which are also songs) was so disliked. It really is one of the high points of the album for me.

    Different strokes, etc....

    Mike
    I find this really hard to believe, but, like you say, different strokes.

    "Mother" is probably the worst song in my entire collection.

    And that includes "In the Hot Seat"
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  25. #75
    Member No Pride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Posts
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I find this really hard to believe, but, like you say, different strokes.

    "Mother" is probably the worst song in my entire collection.

    And that includes "In the Hot Seat"
    I like the chords. And having been in a half dozen "serious" romantic relationships lasting 1 to 8 years, I can relate to the subject matter to some degree. But the vocals are a little annoying.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •