Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins

chalkpie

Never seen this before, but funny as hell.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Kicking ass !
    Si senor!

Hey, I join in all the "Phil ruined" fun, but he is one of my favorite drummers of all time. Period. Both his early work and what he doing in the 80s. And he's one of my favorite singers of all time, even though after '82 or so he sang very little that I cared about.

So there.

But does Phil play on "Disengage"? I always thought that was Walden (I'm guessing if two of y'all say PC, then I'm probably wrong).
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I heard "One more Night" in the dentist office today. True story.
    I used to have a dentist that moonlighted as a jazz trumpet player. He would play the local jazz station when he worked. If that wasn't cool enough, he'd always give me nitrous oxide and I would hallucinate on that shit. One time, he turned into a cartoon robot before I went completely out.

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    +1 love Genesis, love Phil. Sure, I could have done without Invisible Touch or I Can't Dance (the songs), but I blame the trio, not Phil.
    Yep, they were consenting adults. Phil didn't ruin anything except a couple of marriages... and maybe that wasn't his fault either.

I wasn't a big fan of his solo work, save for a couple of tunes like "Against All Odds," but I was happy to see him make it big. Better him than most of those good looking, no talent bozos. Phil was a great drummer and singer! Genesis wouldn't have been as great as they were without his fusion inspired drumming.

A great drummer. But, he should have received life in front of a firing squad for that unrelentingly egregious Motown and soul covers album.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    A great drummer. But, he should have received life in front of a firing squad for that unrelentingly egregious Motown and soul covers album.
    Agreed, I like me some Motown but he just 'murders' those songs!

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    In the groove
    That would be Mike Clark on drums.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Phil Collins ruined the 4th of July!

But he was a rather fab drummer.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Banned
    Some people have OCD (Obsessed on Collins Disorder).

Although my true love is the 70s Genesis and Brand X, I actually have always liked Phil, even a lot of his 80s stuff both in and out of the band. But I think my favourite of his solo stuff is the oft-overlooked Both Sides. Although it has a couple of lame skipper ballads, it also has my favourite song he's ever done solo in "We Fly So Close".

I can't help but love the guy, he was a fantastic, naturally gifted musician. The fact that he wanted to do softer, simpler stuff is his prerogative. I don't have to like it, but it's not like it erases the other amazing stuff he did. And although he can't drum the same way anymore, he's still one of my favourite drummers of all time.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Always dug this one, too.

Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    Of Phil's solo albums, I think Face Value is his greatest. It's essentially the perfect counterpart to Duke, and some of the leftovers from Phil's writing sessions went to Duke. I forgot that "The Roof Is Leaking," "Droned," and "Hand In Hand" are all one eleven-minute suite of music with the last 8 minutes (Droned/Hand In Hand) being entirely instrumental.

The following three tracks are meant to be heard in order:

The album also begins with "In The Air Tonight" and includes "I'm Not Moving" and another take on "Behind the Lines." "If Leaving Me Is Easy" is a good one too.

Great album. The demos are fun to listen to as well.
    Though I agree with most of the above, IMO the follow-up "Hello, l Must Be Going" is even stronger. The flow of the 10 tracks, all of them really strong, is excellent throughout, and the lyrics are bitter and strong.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6KGW8LAeMU8

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    Though I agree with most of the above, IMO the follow-up "Hello, l Must Be Going" is even stronger. The flow of the 10 tracks, all of them really strong, is excellent throughout, and the lyrics are bitter and strong.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6KGW8LAeMU8

Got to agree. His second album is very strong and without the highs and lows of the first. Even but at a high level. Both Sides is also an excellent album, but very under appreciated. Not a huge fan of No Jacket Required, most of it is a bit too slick for me. The guy loves Motown and jazz so I don't understand the hate for his decisions for following his muse, whether in Genesis, Brand X, solo or the tons of people he recorded with. An excellent drummer and singer in his day.

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post

AHH ... the early days of MTV... I have a fondness for those years 1980-1985... great times

as for Phil... besides Hackett, he is the only reason to listen to pre-80s Genesis
    there's no reason to listen to post-80s Genesis
    Phil was a great Drummer
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Progtopia View Post

Probably the place where the gated reverb drum sound worked the best. Love the way Phil and Daryl Steurmer groove on this song. And Daryl has that super sweet guitar solo. I remember he said played the solo on a real cheap guitar that was brought in from a rental place. He said something like "I'll never see that guitar again" and couldn't even remember what make it was. He played the solo while leaning on the whammy bar, he said when the take was over, the guitar was completely out of tune!

Another perspective on the "Phil ruined Genesis" topic.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/4-famous...ied-to-change/

Suspended
    Time to put the "Phil ruined....." joke to bed, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Time to put the "Phil ruined....." joke to bed, methinks.
    Dude, you ruined the "Phil ruined" meme.

chalkpie
    Nice to see the love here for the Philster.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    The concept or the actual music? Is it really that terrible?

Oh,
    His son (Simon Collins) has been arrested for drugs offences:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...substance.html

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    Oh,
    His son (Simon Collins) has been arrested for drugs offences:
    No big deal. Daddy is super rich, so Simon will just have to say he's sorry while thousands of blokes will be off to prison and be ass raped.