Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins

When the Phil Collins Big Band CD came out, I bought it mainly out of curiosity (and yes, I admit it, to have a laugh at it). The album turned out to be a true gem. And to his (and his arrangers') credit, it is the tunes from Genesis and his solo career that are the most interesting, having undergone a magnificent treatment for a large orchestra. The 'Los Endos Suite' is the highlight of the album. Excellent playing throughout by top-notch musicians, nice to hear his keyboardist Brad Cole showing his jazz chops, and above all, the man himself behind the drums. Come on, how often do we have the opportunity to hear Phil Collins swinging like mad behind his kit? It was a labor of love for him and, as a jazz fan, I am thankful that he had the opportunity to do it for once.

Quote Originally Posted by zyryab View Post
    When the Phil Collins Big Band CD came out, I bought it mainly out of curiosity (and yes, I admit it, to have a laugh at it). The album turned out to be a true gem. And to his (and his arrangers') credit, it is the tunes from Genesis and his solo career that are the most interesting, having undergone a magnificent treatment for a large orchestra. The 'Los Endos Suite' is the highlight of the album. Excellent playing throughout by top-notch musicians, nice to hear his keyboardist Brad Cole showing his jazz chops, and above all, the man himself behind the drums. Come on, how often do we have the opportunity to hear Phil Collins swinging like mad behind his kit? It was a labor of love for him and, as a jazz fan, I am thankful that he had the opportunity to do it for once.
    Those 2 big band tours were killer. Quincy Jones was the director/conductor of the 1996 version. Tony Bennett sang with that band. Oletta Adams sang on the 98 tour, another jazz biggie. Sadly none of her vocals made it to the cd you reference... and she was great! Both lineups had top notch musicians, Nathan East, David Sanborn, Gerald Albright, Luis Conte, George Duke... There is great footage from the 96 tour from Montreaux on Youtube. You should also look for him playing with the Buddy Rich Big Band. That is on dvd and Youtube I'm sure.

Pretty good video. I think I basically knew everything he says but it's cool to see all of these observations in one place with the demonstrations.

As soon as I heard Phil's playing on 1973's Genesis Live, I knew he was a great drummer. Good video, but I beg to differ with the presenter about one thing. He claims that in Phil's early days there was no other drummer that was as good as him. Sorry, that's wrong. Certainly Bill Bruford and Carl Palmer could equal him. I think that Drumeo should address more prog drummers such as the previously mentioned, including prog's birth drummer Michael Giles.
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

He's such an underrated drummer. Probably because most know him as a singer/frontman/songwriter.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Not only a great drummer but man, he could do so many things in the 80's mostly:
    Solo material, played with Led Zeppelin at Band Aid (and with Robert Plant's band), Genesis (of course), Peter Gabriel, The Big Band, Brand X and lots more included in his "Plays well with Others" mini box set. What a guy, so sad to see him now as a shadow of what he was back then. But the memories will live on :-)

Wonderful musician and artist, and I agree about him being underrated as a drummer as well. He was awesome behind the drumkit.

My eyes well up when I think about the troubles he's having nowadays, compared to how spry and energetic he was in his heyday (or even back around the time of the 2007 tour). I've got nothing but love for Phil now, and am so grateful for all the incredible music he's given us over the decades. Hopefully the turnout to The Last Domino tour has given him some reassurance that he is loved by a lot of folks.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Wonderful musician and artist, and I agree about him being underrated as a drummer as well. He was awesome behind the drumkit.

My eyes well up when I think about the troubles he's having nowadays, compared to how spry and energetic he was in his heyday (or even back around the time of the 2007 tour). I've got nothing but love for Phil now, and am so grateful for all the incredible music he's given us over the decades. Hopefully the turnout to The Last Domino tour has given him some reassurance that he is loved by a lot of folks.
    Could not be stated more succinctly or more compassionately. Much appreciated and here's to Mr. Collins.

Phil-Diana.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Rajaz View Post
    Not only a great drummer but man, he could do so many things in the 80's mostly:
    Solo material, played with Led Zeppelin at Band Aid (and with Robert Plant's band), Genesis (of course), Peter Gabriel, The Big Band, Brand X and lots more included in his "Plays well with Others" mini box set. What a guy, so sad to see him now as a shadow of what he was back then. But the memories will live on :-)
    What about his work and tour with Clapton, great stuff.

Yeah, Play's Well with Others is great... and eye opening to just how many people he worked with... and shockingly not complete!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    One thing that comes across looking at the transcriptions is how much ghost notes and accidentals were part of his playing in the 70s. Of course that's all from the jazz fusion influences. His drumming in the 80s onward got rid of all that for a more sparse and mechanical sound that I have no interest in.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    His drumming in the 80s onward got rid of all that for a more sparse and mechanical sound that I have no interest in.
    Sparse, yes sometimes.

Mechanical? I can't agree with that.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Yeah, I wouldn't describe anyone who plays with such groove as "mechanical."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

What do you consider Phil's best drumming, maybe Nuclear Burn from Unorthodox Behavior?

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    What do you consider Phil's best drumming, maybe Nuclear Burn from Unorthodox Behavior?
    Man that is a difficult one and particularly the Brand X stuff stands out to me. The opening of Hate Zone is unreal, Disco Suicide kills, Malaga Virgen, Macrocosm, And So To F, Euthanasia Waltz, Born Ugly and as you mentioned Nuclear Burn... What a great band and drumming on all those tunes.

Off the top of my head a few others, the opening of Hackett's Ace of Wands, Clapton Hold On, Bad Love, Frida's Something's Going On, Argent I Can't Remember,... Those are some of my favorites outside the obvious Genesis and solo tunes.
    Last edited by rich; 02-04-2022 at 10:06 PM.

Listen to his drumming on The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. It jumps out at you. It did for my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Good cover of this
    https://youtu.be/dhf8A3BfVE8

Banned
    Always liked that pop tune. Phil was able to deliver the goods in so many varieties, couldn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    Always liked that pop tune. Phil was able to deliver the goods in so many varieties, couldn't he?
    I'd say so... so diverse. I've seen so many of the greats, Moon, Bonham, Billy Cobham, Tony Williams, Lenny White, Bruford... so many more. I'm in awe of Phil and his drumming in particular... Brand X... say no more! I don't get the haters, even his pop tunes are suberb, unique from the others.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Sparse, yes sometimes.

Mechanical? I can't agree with that.
    Fading Lights comes to my mind. Great drumming!

Quote Originally Posted by fiberman View Post
    Fading Lights comes to my mind. Great drumming!
    That's quite a well-chosen example, actually. More straightforward, less intricate, but perfectly suited to the dynamics of the music, and providing rythmic excitement in a setting where you might not expect to feel it.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Phil is a stunning drummer but there is so much more talent.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    That's quite a well-chosen example, actually. More straightforward, less intricate, but perfectly suited to the dynamics of the music, and providing rythmic excitement in a setting where you might not expect to feel it.
    Very well stated, it would have taken me at least another two days to describe anywhere close to your description. Thanks.