Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Cardiacs "Family" of bands/artists

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    After an initial snafu I was able to successfully place an order through Rough Trade UK. They were offering signed copies and the cost after taxes & shipping was just under 50 USD. Tracking provided as well. We'll see how long it takes to get here.
    Arrived yesterday! For some reason it decided to spend a week sightseeing in Chicago, but now it's home and I dug in last night.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Having read (and listened) my way through Steve and Kavus' book, I felt compelled to seek out the recorded work of The Monsoon Bassoon. Discogs provided a path, and for most of it, it wasn't too ruinous. Just one cassette missing from the available releases. Today the first couple of singles arrived, and it was pretty cool to find 'In The Iceman's Back Garden' complete with promo letter from 'Talksy'. Noice.

IMG_4500.jpg

I probably unwittingly witnessed Die Laughing when I was at the Castlemorton rave, and can confirm the mood (re: Beemers and coke) of the place though don't recall much detail. Some of the Stonehenge crowd was of that ilk too, back when I first saw Cardiacs in '84.

Love the Monsoon's album, still listen to it a lot in fact. I'm definitely going to have to hunt for those early singles now, though i have found some of that stuff on YT.

One of my favourite of theirs was one i first heard on a compilation for a label called House Of Stairs (along with Stars In Battledress, Max Tundra & others)

Stag!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Guess I need to go to discogs and order the Monsoon Bassoon. Personally I'd rather give the money to Kavus.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Guess I need to go to discogs and order the Monsoon Bassoon. Personally I'd rather give the money to Kavus.
    I remember reading sonewhere on the forum that Kavus was planning to make the Monsoon Bassoon stuff available again. I am waiting for that. I love the tunes I heared on youtube.

The MB stuff is excellent. Too bad it was largely overlooked at the time.

A new single by The Scaramanga Six:

https://thescaramangasix.bandcamp.co...e-with-no-face

I absolutely recommend the latest EP by Army of Moths, a and formed by two great friends and long-time pondies David Sheridon and Debz Joy, joined by Major Parkinson's drummer Sondre Veland... If you love Cardiacs, but also Sparks and some of the more tuneful and upbeat prog you'll love this (two songs are epic well over seven minutes!)

https://armyofmoths.bandcamp.com/alb...canine-trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    I absolutely recommend the latest EP by Army of Moths, a and formed by two great friends and long-time pondies David Sheridon and Debz Joy, joined by Major Parkinson's drummer Sondre Veland... If you love Cardiacs, but also Sparks and some of the more tuneful and upbeat prog you'll love this (two songs are epic well over seven minutes!)

https://armyofmoths.bandcamp.com/alb...canine-trilogy
    I bought it the latest bandcamp Friday.

I already had the debut, which was okay but had still a lot of areas of improvement. This new EP certainly has improved! Love it! Cardiacs inspired but still very much its own thing.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I remember reading sonewhere on the forum that Kavus was planning to make the Monsoon Bassoon stuff available again. I am waiting for that. I love the tunes I heared on youtube.
    I remember that too and would love it if it happened. At the same time, that was years ago and with the amount of current projects he’s involved in I’m not really surprised this hasn’t taken priority.

Fuck You Fuck Your Telescope is also one of my favourite Kavus song titles. There’s an art to titling songs and there are few better at it.
    Last edited by Mascodagama; 08-09-2021 at 06:42 AM.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

They may have already been mentioned, but i've finally got around to listening to Mark Cawthra's Redbus Noface album and not only is it highly impressive bendy psychedelic indie rock, but it turns out there's new stuff just been released.

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    They may have already been mentioned, but i've finally got around to listening to Mark Cawthra's Redbus Noface album and not only is it highly impressive bendy psychedelic indie rock, but it turns out there's new stuff just been released.
    Cheers for the reminder...I think I spun it once but don't really recall much. Will revisit...

Hello everyone!
    I would like to share with you a review by Jez Rowden of the great blog The Progressive Aspect about my latest work called SOLAR BARBECUE (which feature Cardiacs drummer-extraordinaire Bob Leith on two tracks)... I thought it might be of interest for someone who doesn't know my work yet!

"From the brief harpsichord and recorder intro of 'Billa', it’s clear that this is not going to be an album that hangs about. The benign presence of Tim Smith is immediately apparent, with clear nods to his errant and greatly missed genius throughout the album, the madness satisfyingly tied up under a self-deprecating ‘FILE UNDER: UNPOPULAR’ tagline. If you’re a Cardiacs acolyte, this will be right up your wonky pop street, shot through with fantastic playing from all concerned and Emanuele’s equally odd sensibilities. If you’re not, just give it a go and be sucked into a world of possibilities that you might not have considered previously. It’s the RIGHT thing to do."

https://theprogressiveaspect.net/blo...olar-barbecue/

Listening again to Ring’s Nervous Recreation over a pint at my local pub. Such a cool little gem of an album.

^ Indeed it is.
    I've probably said it before, but if you like Ring, you should also check out Zag and the Coloured Beads.

Inspired by the great music in the Muffins' Bakers Dozen box, I've been exploring many things Canterbury, especially Henry Cow, Soft Machine, National Health, Egg and the like. I've also become a big fan of the more Canterbury-ish side of the Cardiacs family tree, and have discovered NSRO and all things Larcombe- and Fortnam-related such as Arch Garrison, Stars in Battledress, Lost Crowns, and of course the direct descendants like Sea Nymphs and William D. Drake. "Canterburiacs", maybe?
    David

^^^^^

If you like Sharron’s singing, I would be happier than happy to highly recommend her collaboration with Led Bib

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Inspired by the great music in the Muffins' Bakers Dozen box, I've been exploring many things Canterbury, especially Henry Cow, Soft Machine, National Health, Egg and the like. I've also become a big fan of the more Canterbury-ish side of the Cardiacs family tree, and have discovered NSRO and all things Larcombe- and Fortnam-related such as Arch Garrison, Stars in Battledress, Lost Crowns, and of course the direct descendants like Sea Nymphs and William D. Drake. "Canterburiacs", maybe?
    I'm all over NSRO (flew to London to see them) Stars in Battledress, Arch Garrison, etc. All wonderful.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    If you like Sharron’s singing, I would be happier than happy to highly recommend her collaboration with Led Bib
    I do, and I'm checking it out now - thanks for the heads-up!
    David

I do, and I'm checking it out now - thanks for the heads-up!
    She is a fun person to shoot the shite with too. All these Cardiacs family bands have that special ingredient. INNIT.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    She is a fun person to shoot the shite with too. All these Cardiacs family bands have that special ingredient. INNIT.
    Sharron’s the schnizzle. Baby.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

The world needs more Sharron!