Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I don't think his voice slipped from that point much. In fact, you need to check out their DVD from roughly ten years later, Know Place Like Home. Best Walsh performance since the 70s. Still straining some but at least he tried to sing it like the record for a change, instead of ad-libbing the melodies and adding annoying vocal inflections and naahhh nahhhhs and all that annoying shit.
Exactly! When Walsh’s voice started to deteriorate he seemed to be trying to compensate by throwing in all that ad lib vocal stuff that just did not work at all. I found it to be really annoying and he did it for a lot of years. He also didn’t enunciate very well either during this time period which I also found annoying. Both the “Live At The Whiskey” and “Device Voice Drum” DVD’s suffered from this, and I saw the band live many times during this time period. By the time they did the last DVD though, he had really toned it down and I agree it is probably his best vocal performance captured on DVD. The whole thing is really well done. If it ends up being Walsh’s last filmed statement with the band it was a pretty good way to go out.