Thread: FEATURED CD - Curved Air : Air Conditioning

FEATURED CD - Curved Air : Air Conditioning

Per AllMusic:
    In its initial vinyl form, Curved Air's debut album is one of the prog rock movement's most prized artifacts -- not for the music (for that, it goes without saying, is flawless), but for the picture-disc format which had never previously graced a 12" rock record. A glimmering of that sought-after magnificence lives on, of course, in the artwork which has graced every subsequent release, this Collectors' Choice reissue included. Sadly, however, no other attempt is made to replicate the original jewel; indeed, beyond a straightforward dub of the album, Air Conditioning's American CD debut is something of a disappointment. No bonus tracks, no liner notes, no remastering -- nothing, in fact, beyond one of the finest classical rock fusions of the age. Curved Air were an unwieldy beast at the best of times, an uneasy liaison between Sonja Kristina's rampant rock sensibilities and her bandmates' undisguised virtuosity. Keyboard player Francis Monkman, in particular, led the group into some genuinely uncharted territory -- it was he who named the group after a Terry Riley composition; he who consumed side two of each album for a series of wild experiments, most of which incorporate acoustic folk, free form jazz, and a hefty dose of Vivaldi. Not that this was a bad thing. Indeed, Air Conditioning rates among the great debut albums of 1970s rock, a hybrid whose breathless audacity stands in starkly good-natured contrast to the po-faced noodlings of the genre's other leading progenitors. Even in full, fanciful flight (the instrumental "Rob One" or the sawing discordant "Vivaldi"), you can hear the band enjoying themselves, as Darryl Way's violin soars to pitches unknown to rocking man, the immortally named Florian Pilkington-Miksa conjures brand new rhythms from his percussive arsenal and Monkman. Well, Monkman is as Monkman does, but even when you know what's going to happen next, a frill or a flourish still leaps out to surprise you. Kristina, meanwhile, possesses one of the most distinctive voices of the age, a virtue which is apparent from the moment she enters on the opening "It Happens Today." Hints of Grace Slick enter her delivery during the Airplane-like "Stretch," but it's a fleeting comparison. By the time you hit "Propositions," all echoed riffs and space age synth, Curved Air don't sound like anything else on earth. You do, however, notice how many subsequent bands sound a lot like them.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/air-co...g-mw0000078742

Regards,

Duncan

Not one I reach for very often, but a fairly solid debut and very "early 70s." (Caught them with ELP in '71).
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

At the beginning, Curved Air must have struck people as a sort of UK answer to the United States of America minus the controversy. All of the elements are there: the synthesizer, the electric violin, the sumptuous female vocals, etc. They wouldn’t have the “aleatoric” elements to their sound until Phantasmagoria (my vote for one of the most underrated English prog albums of the 70s, incidentally) but obviously both bands featured musicians with classical training.

I had this on the “drive around” MP3 player for the past month, and it still sounds pretty damn good, even if the songs are well-ingrained into the old gray matter.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I was late in appreciating this group. I had heard a friend's copy of "Phantasmagoria" a few times back in the mid-70's, and thought it didn't sound "full enough", compared to the likes of Genesis and King Crimson. Guess I had to have mellotron back then! Now I have 4 of their albums and really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I was late in appreciating this group. I had heard a friend's copy of "Phantasmagoria" a few times back in the mid-70's, and thought it didn't sound "full enough", compared to the likes of Genesis and King Crimson. Guess I had to have mellotron back then!
    There is Mellotron, though, just not that much (only two tracks: “Screw” and “Situations”).

As a record collector and prog fan, there's a lot going on with this group - I got the picture disc and regular black vinyl versions of this, both UK and US versions of the second album and sought out the later albums for Jobson and Copeland. And then there's the music.....I guess I played the Second Album the most during the 70's. Followed Way and Monkman into other bands.

It was the first Curved Air I heard and had, though not the picture disk.

A strong debut. The 'classical rock' of 'Vivaldi' has dated somewhat, I think, but the new material is striking and original and holds up well enough today (though the production is a tad flat IMHO). 'It Happened Today' is a great statement of intent and on tracks like 'Screw' and 'Hide And Seek' there's a real sense of a simmering tension.

This picture disc (along with Faust's clear debut) graces the walls of my listening room, in frames. I never fell in love with the music that much -- I think "Phantasmagoria" is a much better disc (and Darryl Way's "Concerto for Electric Violin" is even better!) but it was an early milestone in my collecting career and so holds a special place in my heart.

In my top 10 most played for 1970 though I only heard it in 1973...

This is actually the only Curved Air album that I own. I like it a lot.

Their Vivaldis' remind me somewhat of ELP's Rondos.

Great album but Second is the one I almost always reach for. Young Mother and Piece of Mind are essential tunes for me.

Well, out of their first 4 albums, "the best" is always the one you've just heard. I particularly love the melancholic "Situations" and actually prefer the short Vivaldi "with cannons" to the longer version. But I agree that the production is ... what, a bit "muddy".

the immortally named Florian Pilkington-Miksa
    A/K/A Florian Cement-Miksa.

Wonder why I've always really dug Second Album and Phantasmagoria - but never really this one. Of course there's no "Piece of Mind" or "Over and Above"...
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Wonder why I've always really dug Second Album and Phantasmagoria - but never really this one.
    Personally, I would agree with you there. While the debut is pretty good, I think the second and third albums are easily the band's best. I dig the live album, too, with Sonia Kristina's newly raspified voice. Never saw much in Air Cut apart from "Metamorphosis."

Gave this one a listen last night, been a long time since I heard it. Agree with those who say it isn't their best, but a few good tracks.

Good album, but I also think that both Second Album and Phantasmagoria are far superior. And I also agree with the comments about the flat production. It prevents these albums from sounding "alive" to me, and that's a shame, especially in the case of the 2nd & 3rd albums since the material is so stellar. They deserved better. In fact, this prevented me from being able to get into the band for many years. I couldn't get past the "dead" feeling I got, so I couldn't notice that the music itself was actually good. Production rarely holds such power over me like that, but unfortunately it did with Curved Air.

And I must say, even though I've been lambasted for it in the past, that Sonja's singing has never communicated any emotion for me. Great voice but no passion whatsoever. IMHO. On the live album, she overcompensated with lots of forced-sounding growls and such, completely turning me off.

So, yes, I do like Curved Air but I obviously have some issues with them which always prevented them from being a favorite.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    And I must say, even though I've been lambasted for it in the past, that Sonja's singing has never communicated any emotion for me. Great voice but no passion whatsoever. IMHO. On the live album, she overcompensated with lots of forced-sounding growls and such, completely turning me off.
    I absolutely agree about this.....especially, for example, the vocal on Young Mother.....really quite blank. Does not stop me from enjoying the tunes though.

And yes, her shouting on the live record puts her in the Glenn Hughes category for me....what was she thinking?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    I can't think of many subsequent bands that sounded like them. The only one that comes to mind is Solstice.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    I absolutely agree about this.....especially, for example, the vocal on Young Mother.....really quite blank. Does not stop me from enjoying the tunes though.
    I sincerely concur; some of her phrasing borders on lifeless as far as affection or dynamic concerns. Yet I too find myself enjoying her immensely where the voice is INTENDED to sound "chilling", as on the entire "Piece of Mind" suite, where her timbre suddenly equals that of someone like Dorothy Moskowitz (of The United States of America).

What truly entices me about some of their material, is the almost scholarly approach to orchestration of voicings and harmonics. They were FAR ahead of your average "progressive" group at this back in 1970-71, with a sence of chordal dissonance which would later echo in the likes of Art Bears and the "advanced" end of late 70s avant-garde progressive. I think "Over and Above" was probably their peak at this.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I thoroughly recommend tracking down the Rhino remaster of Second Album if you can. Like someone took about 20 blankets off the speakers. A real revelation.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    I thoroughly recommend tracking down the Rhino remaster of Second Album if you can. Like someone took about 20 blankets off the speakers. A real revelation.
    I might consider that. I do very much enjoy those first two albums but I humbly submit, they do not sound good sound-quality wise. Incidentally, my first taste of CA was from a copy of Second Album I borrowed from the library!