Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prefab Sprout

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    You'd may want to check out Everything But the Girl (their first two albums), The Blue Nile and arguably some of Scritti Politti's work as well, as they shared some of PS' influences.
    Interesting that until this thread I had never heard PS (my new find!), but have been a Tracey Thorn/Ben Watt (EBTG) fan for a long time.

Everything But The Girl's "The Language Of Life" is damn sure an album worth having, with Vinnie Coluaita on drums, and the last recorded sax of Stan Getz before his passing on the track "The Road".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    There’s some almost Canterbury-esque complexity going on on a few of the tracks on Swoon. That off-kilter jazziness got smoothed out by the time of Steve McQueen.

I agree with all those recommendations. Note that the aforementioned Robert Wyatt actually plays some keyboards on SP’s Songs to Remember.
    Robert Wyatt also played on the EP Summer Into Winter by Everything But The Girls' singer Ben Watt (later released on the CD-version of his North Marine Drive).

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I have a soft spot for all three of these, but especially for Scritti Politti and their first album "Songs To Remember" plus their earlier singles, which have now been collected on the CD "Early". Their mid-period lush pop period was good, but the early stuff is where it was more off kilter and interesting. The later albums "Anomie & Bonhomie" and "White Bread, Black Beer"are also worth hearing too.
    It’s hard to believe the funky sound on Songs to Remember is even the same band that made “Hegemony.” And then they completely metamorphosed again for Cupid & Psyche 85. I really enjoy them in all these phases, though. And if you need a good laugh, check out an interview with Green Gartside some time. And they say prog rockers are pretentious!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Everything But The Girl's "The Language Of Life" is damn sure an album worth having, with Vinnie Coluaita on drums, and the last recorded sax of Stan Getz before his passing on the track "The Road".
    The Language of Life is awfully smooth-jazz, definitely their “trying to get airplay on VH1” album (and it worked! “Driving” was in heavy rotation there back in the day). That said, I still have a soft spot for it (great tunes), and way prefer it to their “house” phase.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Well, for someone who never heard a note of PS when I looked at this thread this past February, I now have 9 albums.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Well, for someone who never heard a note of PS when I looked at this thread this past February, I now have 9 albums.
    It's really exciting to discover a band like this! For me it was like finding The Grail.
    Which ones really stand out for you?

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    It's really exciting to discover a band like this! For me it was like finding The Grail.
    Which ones really stand out for you?
    In recent memory, besides PS, The Dear Hunter comes to mind.

A band I only discovered within the past year: The Painted Word! Someone recommended them for fans of Prefab Sprout and man, did they ever nail it!

In recent memory, besides PS, The Dear Hunter comes to mind.
    Actually, I meant what PS music stands out for you?

Really all of it, although I probably play "McQueen" & "Swoon" the most.

Bear - great call on The Painted Word!

My favorite could be 'Jordan: The Comeback', though 'Steve McQueen' and 'Andromeda Heights' I think are both excellent and very very close. The only one I didn't connect personally so much with is 'The Gunman'.

I'm gonna check out 'The Painted Word'!

So glad you guys are digging the Sprouts. I've loved them since the mid-90's. You can't go wrong with any of the albums from Swoon to Jordan. After that it's great too but I'd say get those first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The comeback album from a year or two ago is really good.

My only problem with his/their post ‘97 stuff is that it’s really just good demos because there’s no real drums on the stuff and only Paddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've heard Paddy has whole albums he's never released and literally thousands of songs. He seems to be a bit of a hermit. He has had problems with his eyesight and I think getting divorced was pretty traumatic for him. There's a cool interview with Thomas Dolby somewhere, I'll see if I can find it and post a link. He produced much of their classic stuff and in this interview he discusses how he met them and working with them in detail.
    Interviews with Paddy are always interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by 3RDegree_Robert View Post
    My only problem with his/their post ‘97 stuff is that it’s really just good demos because there’s no real drums on the stuff and only Paddy.
    The Gunman and Other Stories is a proper album, even if the “band” is mostly session musicians (including Jordan Rudess on piano!). For sure the other post-Jordan albums sound pretty demo-y (with exceptions here and there, “A Prisoner of the Past” off of Andromeda Heights is stunning!).

Interviews with Paddy are always interesting.
    This is so true, he's such an articulate, thoughtful, and nice guy. Love listening to interviews with him.

My recently recorded cover of Prefab Sprout's "Looking For Atlantis :-)

https://soundcloud.com/andrew-laitre...lantis_mix1123