Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: New Mike Keneally release : "Dancing Demos"

  1. #1

    New Mike Keneally release : "Dancing Demos"

    Available now for download :
    http://store.keneally.com/products/m...demos-download

    Mike says :
    "This is a quick note to let you know we've made a new downloadable album available - Dancing Demos. This is a nine-song, 37-minute collection of the demos I recorded in 2000 to distribute to the members of Beer For Dolphins, prior to beginning the rehearsals for the album Dancing.

    I did these demos, with Scott Chatfield engineering, at Chatfield Manor. These are extremely stripped down, but they aren't just one-man, live on-the-spot renditions - some songs have both guitar and keyboard parts on them, and there are some vocal harmonies present as well. Some of the tracks feature some spoken instructions as to what I'm thinking about different parts of the songs (eg. the "Stravinsky" section of "Lhai Sal") and some additional music, chordal approaches and melodic ideas that didn't make it into the final versions.

    Scott found these essentially lost recordings a few months ago, and I had exactly zero recollection of having made them! I find them to be rewarding listening, and they actually reminded me of some of my original and subsequently abandoned musical ideas that I'd like to re-institute the next time I approach these pieces for performance.

    The download also features an 8-page digital booklet, handsomely designed by Atticus Wolrab, featuring newly written liner notes, as well as a letter I wrote to the members of BFD at the time (which accompanied the CD of these demos which I sent to them). The letter is a good window into my mental processes at the time regarding what Dancing was supposed to become (including the listing of a running order which is quite different from what eventually happened).

    All in all, a rewarding archeological dig for aficionados. And a mere seven bucks for an album length download (back when albums were forty minutes long, more or less). I hope you enjoy the holy heck out of it!"

    As always with every MK release, I get all Pavlovian, me. I shall be downloading this asap, with depraved abandon.

  2. #2
    Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    11,341
    Is it a coincidence that Beer For Dolphins is abbreviated BFD? Also, surely Wolrab is Barlow spelled backward?

  3. #3
    Member rickawakeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Posts
    717
    I saw the big BFD band, whose members including NDV, who had just finished his "Karma" release, barely fit the confines of the stage of the Iron Horse (Northampton MA), on the Dancing tour. Great show, great album so I'd be interested in this though I tend not to buy non-physical releases.

  4. #4
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    5,377
    Just spun Dancing in its entirety. What a wonderful, wonderfully wonderful album. I remember seeing this tour in NYC and this big band was just outrageously good. The album is such a colorful ride - chock full 'o Keneally magic bits and bites that Mike sculps so well. You can get lost in the harmonic movements alone, but of course there is so much more. My fav track is still "Pretty Enough For Girls" but there are too many great moments to list here. Of special note is the gorgeously perfect bass playing of Bryan Beller - holy shit you could never ask for a more perfect player for this band/album/music.

    Hey Mike, have you ever found the place you are looking for in "We'll Be Right Back"? If so, I'd like to know about it and escape there. This is a must hear album imo. Thanks again Mike for such a wonderful piece of plastique. Special Edition #231/2000.

    Who are they?

    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  5. #5
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    5,377
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  6. #6
    Jazzbo manqué Mister Triscuits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Utopia
    Posts
    3,263
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Special Edition #231/2000.
    #191 here. We must be among the early adopters.

    How did I miss the Dancing Demos release seven years ago? Dancing has long been my favorite MK album, and having come out at a time when I was one walking emotional wound, it easily found its way deep into my heart. Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that the link is still good, and I have just this minute finished the download. Thanks Mike, thanks Unclemeat for the thread, and thanks Chalkpie for the bump.

    Oh, perky possum!
    Get ratty!! New album RATS' ALLEY indisputably available!
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-6.aspx

  7. #7
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    974
    I sure could go for a new Keneally album. Back in the day I played Dancing regularly for about five years. I just picked up Beller's latest album, Scenes From The Flood, which features a lot of guitar stuff. Mike is on one or two tracks.

  8. #8
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    5,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    #191 here. We must be among the early adopters.

    How did I miss the Dancing Demos release seven years ago? Dancing has long been my favorite MK album, and having come out at a time when I was one walking emotional wound, it easily found its way deep into my heart. Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster that the link is still good, and I have just this minute finished the download. Thanks Mike, thanks Unclemeat for the thread, and thanks Chalkpie for the bump.

    Oh, perky possum!
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I sure could go for a new Keneally album. Back in the day I played Dancing regularly for about five years. I just picked up Beller's latest album, Scenes From The Flood, which features a lot of guitar stuff. Mike is on one or two tracks.
    Yeah - Keneally was my driving soundtrack when I got my first real gig (teaching) on Long Island in 1996, and was coming off my huge initial Zappa discovery. This was the perfect next step and I used to play Half Alive in Hollywood basically everyday for who-knows-how-long, plus Dust Speck and Hat of course. I am going to explore the two Scambots this week - I know them but don't really "know" them. Mike signed my old version of Sluggo! after a gig in NYC and I played the creamcheese out of that disc too. That is another favorite.

    Mike - if you are reading this - have any of your albums ever been isssued on vinyl, especially the olde stuff?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  9. #9
    When I saw the thread title I misread it as Dancing Demons. That would be a good album, although not Keneally's style.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Just spun Dancing in its entirety. What a wonderful, wonderfully wonderful album. I remember seeing this tour in NYC and this big band was just outrageously good.
    I saw the big BFD at Martyrs in Chicago but for some reason I have almost no memory of the show. I think it was a weeknight and I was tired. I might check if there's a recording out there.

    Keneally was back that fall with the four-piece band and I remember more of that, especially the improv at the end of the first set where they switched instruments and I believe Keneally was playing drums by the end.

  11. #11
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    974
    There's plenty of great stuff on the Scambot albums. Sluggo is old favorite too. Lots of rock guitar stuff and some great sounding acoustic piano. Like FZ, Mike has a gift for melody and songwriting as well as the complicated instrumental aspect. I like the fact that the guitar playing sounds very rock n roll and not cookie cutter shred like many other accomplished guitarists.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    My fav track is still "Pretty Enough For Girls"
    Same here. What an incredible piece of music.

  13. #13
    I remember seeing his band play "Pretty Enough.." in 1998 (I also remember that when the CD came out some of the obsessive fans complained that he left out a section of the live version).

  14. #14
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    3,322
    Skull Bubbles, Live in Japan, Kedgeree three different songs that I love.
    Love Dancing. Love the arrangements. Love the production.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  15. #15
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    Skull Bubbles, Live in Japan, Kedgeree three different songs that I love.
    Love Dancing. Love the arrangements. Love the production.
    80s minutes of musical bliss! I guess we can all relate to a song like Skull Bubbles every now and then. About 15 years ago when I was a volunteer radio DJ I played Ragged Ass on the air. After it was over I turned the mic on to identify the song and I started laughing uncontrollably. I had to kill the mic for about 20 seconds to gain my composure.

  16. #16
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    5,377
    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    80s minutes of musical bliss! I guess we can all relate to a song like Skull Bubbles every now and then. About 15 years ago when I was a volunteer radio DJ I played Ragged Ass on the air. After it was over I turned the mic on to identify the song and I started laughing uncontrollably. I had to kill the mic for about 20 seconds to gain my composure.
    Haha - nice man! Fuckin funny.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Just spun Dancing in its entirety. What a wonderful, wonderfully wonderful album. I remember seeing this tour in NYC and this big band was just outrageously good. The album is such a colorful ride - chock full 'o Keneally magic bits and bites that Mike sculps so well. You can get lost in the harmonic movements alone, but of course there is so much more. My fav track is still "Pretty Enough For Girls" but there are too many great moments to list here. Of special note is the gorgeously perfect bass playing of Bryan Beller - holy shit you could never ask for a more perfect player for this band/album/music.

    Hey Mike, have you ever found the place you are looking for in "We'll Be Right Back"? If so, I'd like to know about it and escape there. This is a must hear album imo. Thanks again Mike for such a wonderful piece of plastique. Special Edition #231/2000.

    Who are they?

    Who are they??????

    One of my favourite albums of all time. I played this constantly when i first got it - Joe is certainly one of the best tracks ever made. A perfect little jewel of a recording.

    Pretty Enough, Backwards Song, oh man.. such a great record. If you've not heard it and you like adventure, beauty and a strangely surreal sort of flow of positivity, get it now.

    Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    80s minutes of musical bliss! I guess we can all relate to a song like Skull Bubbles every now and then. About 15 years ago when I was a volunteer radio DJ I played Ragged Ass on the air. After it was over I turned the mic on to identify the song and I started laughing uncontrollably. I had to kill the mic for about 20 seconds to gain my composure.
    Ragged Ass, yeah. Classic

    BTW, he is working on a new album, i'm pretty sure. He also has been very active with other projects such as the two fantastic MFTJ albums which are great fun and rock like nobody's, well actually, everybody's business. Check those out if you haven't already.

    I'm definitely jonesin' for the new one. I'm sure it will be amazing, brilliant and, probably, slightly askew. Yay
    Last edited by Polypet; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:30 PM.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

  18. #18
    ^ Yeah man, I’m with ya. Totally jonesing for a new Keneally record in any shape or form.

    Dancing is such a great album. So much diversity and songwriting craft on display there.

  19. #19
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    5,377
    I figured you probably loved that album Kim. You too Tyler! I mean how can you not love that stuff? I did Sluggo! the other day which is another fav of mine. Mike signed my original cd copy way back when after (I think) The Bottom Line, but I know I saw Beer for Dolphins back in '98 at both The Knitting Factory and Irving Plaza. Both shows were ridiculous. The good ridiculous.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I mean how can you not love that stuff?
    Eggzactly. It's just such great music, I can't comprehend not enjoying it. I'd be hard-pressed to find another record from the past 20 years that's so much fun while simultaneously being such a mental workout (in a good way).


    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I did Sluggo! the other day which is another fav of mine. Mike signed my original cd copy way back when after (I think) The Bottom Line, but I know I saw Beer for Dolphins back in '98 at both The Knitting Factory and Irving Plaza. Both shows were ridiculous. The good ridiculous.
    Sluggo! is so good. Can't imagine what that must've been like seeing Beer For Dolphins back then in those venues -- I'm a bit jelly, especially since you got Mike to sign your copy.

  21. #21
    Member proggy_jazzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, IA, USA
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Sluggo! is so good. Can't imagine what that must've been like seeing Beer For Dolphins back then in those venues -- I'm a bit jelly, especially since you got Mike to sign your copy.
    Sluggo! was my gateway into All Things Keneally several years ago, and there was a period of months when it almost literally never left my cd player. Mike, if you're reading, the next time you're touring in the flyovers and you ask for requests, I'll be the guy yelling "Egg Zooming!!"

    I will gratefully gobble up any new recording MK releases from now until I can't anymore.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

  22. #22
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    5,377
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Sluggo! is so good. Can't imagine what that must've been like seeing Beer For Dolphins back then in those venues -- I'm a bit jelly, especially since you got Mike to sign your copy.
    All of those shows were amazing. I was living on Long Island so I was constantly in the city seeing shows (and playing on occasion with FC). My fav was still the Dancing big band show, but all were special. When Mike played with Palermo's Zappa Big Band at The Bottom Line and Ed "surprised" him with an arrangement of (I think) "There have been Bad Moments", it was quite a brilliant and heartfelt moment. I'm sure Mike remembers that gig. I should check YT to see if that stuff is on there....
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  23. #23
    Member chalkpie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Posts
    5,377
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Sluggo! was my gateway into All Things Keneally several years ago, and there was a period of months when it almost literally never left my cd player. Mike, if you're reading, the next time you're touring in the flyovers and you ask for requests, I'll be the guy yelling "Egg Zooming!!"

    I will gratefully gobble up any new recording MK releases from now until I can't anymore.
    "Egg Zooming" is a top 5 Keneally tune for me! Fooking brilliant
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

    "And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I figured you probably loved that album Kim. You too Tyler! I mean how can you not love that stuff? I did Sluggo! the other day which is another fav of mine. Mike signed my original cd copy way back when after (I think) The Bottom Line, but I know I saw Beer for Dolphins back in '98 at both The Knitting Factory and Irving Plaza. Both shows were ridiculous. The good ridiculous.
    Mike really is ridiculous live. What a killer band that was, eh? I bet that was fun. And The Knitting Factory seems like a perfect venue for it, too

    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    All of those shows were amazing. I was living on Long Island so I was constantly in the city seeing shows (and playing on occasion with FC). My fav was still the Dancing big band show, but all were special. When Mike played with Palermo's Zappa Big Band at The Bottom Line and Ed "surprised" him with an arrangement of (I think) "There have been Bad Moments", it was quite a brilliant and heartfelt moment. I'm sure Mike remembers that gig. I should check YT to see if that stuff is on there....
    "There Have Been Bad Moments" ??? Really? What an excellent and quite diagonal selection to cover. It's such a powerful and beautiful tune. That could only have been astoundingly good.

    I bet Mike was deeply touched. How cool.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

  25. #25
    Member StarThrower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    974
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    "Egg Zooming" is a top 5 Keneally tune for me! Fooking brilliant
    The intro alone is beyond my comprehension. I can't imagine trying to learn and play that in time with a band. Sluggo is one my all time favorite songwriter/composer/guitar/band albums.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •