Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Leftovers - HBO

The Leftovers - HBO

Any HBO fans catch the premiere of this one tonight? I thought it was pretty good and plan to continue watching.

I dvr'd it and just paused it 25 minutes from the end of the pilot to post this, Steve.

I'm still not sure if I'll stick with it, but it definitely doesn't suck.

OK, back to it.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I watched it and am definitely intrigued.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

For what its worth I thought tonight's episode was really good. I am going to stick with this show.

I'm so intrigued with this damn show. It's certainly taking it's time getting anywhere lol, but something's definitely coming and this slow burn is seeping into my soul! I do like all the characters a lot and I have no clue where it's going...two big reasons why I'm gladly in for the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I'm so intrigued with this damn show. It's certainly taking it's time getting anywhere lol, but something's definitely coming and this slow burn is seeping into my soul! I do like all the characters a lot and I have no clue where it's going...two big reasons why I'm gladly in for the ride.
    I have not seen Sunday night’s episode yet (have it DVR’d), but they have me hooked. I know the show is based on a book, but have never read it. I think it is very well written and acted. At first I had a bit of a problem with all this stuff just happening in a small town, but they have expanded things out to show the same in other parts of the country so I have less of a problem with it now. I have not seen anything about how it is doing ratings wise or if it will be brought back again next year. Lindelof had me hooked with LOST and it looks like he has come up with another winner here.

The Levftovers has been renewed for a 2nd season. I am still digging it. I have no clue what is going on with the sherrif main character, but it is keeping my interest. Kind of sad to see Patti character killed off. Ann Dowd is an incredible actress. She also had a small part in "True Detective" which was very memorable.

I'm right there with ya, Steve. These GR folks certainly go out in style don't they?! lol

And not only do I have no clue what's going on with Garvey...I have no clue what's going on with anyone! It's pretty fascinating to me though because it's not frustrating. I like that I still have no idea.

I'm right there with ya, Steve. These GR folks certainly go out in style don't they?! lol

And not only do I have no clue what's going on with Garvey...I have no clue what's going on with anyone! It's pretty fascinating to me though because it's not frustrating. I like that I still have no idea.
    It appears we are the only ones watching it. Kind of thought more here would catch on to it.

My wife and I started it but, like you, I have no idea what the heck is going on, or even why some things are happening. We are DVR'ing it to catch up with later perhaps.

We have moved on to watching other great shows this season like The Last Ship, Tyrant, Orange is the New Black, Extant, Penny Dreadful, The Strain. Damn, there are so many fine shows this year that our DVR is filling up with the first rate "second raters" to be caught up with later (if we don;t run out of space).

PErsonally I hate that I am spending so much time in front of the TV this year.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

I'm still planning on catching up ON DEMAND eventually.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    My wife and I started it but, like you, I have no idea what the heck is going on, or even why some things are happening. We are DVR'ing it to catch up with later perhaps.

We have moved on to watching other great shows this season like The Last Ship, Tyrant, Orange is the New Black, Extant, Penny Dreadful, The Strain. Damn, there are so many fine shows this year that our DVR is filling up with the first rate "second raters" to be caught up with later (if we don;t run out of space).

PErsonally I hate that I am spending so much time in front of the TV this year.
    We really are living in the golden age of TV drama IMO. The bar has been raised to a very high level in the last decade or so.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    It appears we are the only ones watching it. Kind of thought more here would catch on to it.
    I'm kind of surprised too. It seems like the type of show folks around here would like to sink their teeth into.

I'm looking forward to these next couple episodes. Hopefully we'll gain a little more insight into what's actually happening.

I thought tonight's episode was great. still not sure what the hell is going on, especially with the cop, but still very much digging it.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    I've tried it, but IMO is was boring. It felt like "Lost", and doesn't it have the people behind that series? So then you'll know you won't get satisfying answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post
    I've tried it, but IMO is was boring. It felt like "Lost", and doesn't it have the people behind that series? So then you'll know you won't get satisfying answers.
    Yes, the main writer is Damon Lindelof who was one of the two main writers in "Lost". There certainly are similarities in the two shows. I've not found The Leftovers to be boring, but I would not exactly call it a fast moving series either.

Good episode last night. It was good to get a little deeper with some of the characters. Setting up for the big 2 hour season finale in 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I'm watching it Steve..got no idea whats going on, but it's really entertaining. We'll talk at Progday eh?
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I'm watching it Steve..got no idea whats going on, but it's really entertaining. We'll talk at Progday eh?
    I will be there.

Don't let your meatloaf! Paulie's Avatar
    I've been in since the beginning. Love it! I love the slow burn as well. The acting is top notch as well.

Klonky, I don't know why you're fascinated tho, with you being a huge L O S T fan and all.
    "That gum you like is going to come back in style."

BTW, I didn't watch last Sunday's epp, but it seems Garvey and Tyler Durden have a lot in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    Klonky, I don't know why you're fascinated tho, with you being a huge L O S T fan and all.
    I've erased LOST from my memory.

I don't blame you. Let's just hope Lindelof doesn't take this one for a fantastic 5 season ride, then hack it to shreds in the 6th and final season.

My guess is that this type of show won't go that long. It's a guessing game with lots to uncover, but nothing like the web that is Game of Thrones say. We'll know more after what's uncovered in the 2hr season finale. I'll be honest, there is that voice in my head that says "disappointment awaits, bitch!" but we shall see.

Holding off on picking it up again until I read about the success or failure of the season finale. If things don't get clarified somewhat I doubt that I will be tempted to continue with it and move on to something else.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.