Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Early classic Fleetwood Mac, hard rock?

I loved Maiden when they first came out. I always hated punk. Maiden was far more complex, which was a testament to Steve Harris' love of prog.

Yup, the early FM was great stuff.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I loved Maiden when they first came out. I always hated punk. Maiden was far more complex, which was a testament to Steve Harris' love of prog.

Which was my point. Maybe the shorter uptempo songs were, whether deliberately or not, a bit on the punky side, but the longer stuff definitely wasn't, and neither were the sort of ballad-ish things like Strange World or Remember Tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Which was my point. Maybe the shorter uptempo songs were, whether deliberately or not, a bit on the punky side...
    Yep. Like "Running Free," which was a big hit back then. "Sanctuary," too. That's why people see them more like a punk band; they know those songs. But they were only part of what IM was about.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

iron maiden were just shite.

I think there's a possibility that Peter Green's decision to leave Fleetwood Mac is what stopped the band from approaching Led Zeppelin's status... I remember reading that Fleetwood Mac was the number one record selling band in England in 1969, topping both the Beatles and the Stones, and were about to release the double live album that eventually turned up as the Boston Tea Party tapes when Green suddenly left.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    My all time favorite track with FM
    even better!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Suspended
    Funny, it would never have occurred to me to compare Fleetwood Mac - any incarnation thereof - with Led Zeppelin. They both played rock with a hint of blues, and were both becoming known at around the same time, but that's about it. A bit like the Blur/Oasis thing.

I agree. No "cock rock" aspect to FM, and they didn't routinely steal from other songwriters (as noted in the LZ/Stairway vs. Spirit/Taurus thread). And yes, I'm just grousing because early Fleetwood Mac is underappreciated IMHO, whereas Led Zep, though deserving, might be a little overappreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by klothos View Post
    I thought Spencer's slide playing was an integral part of their early sound
    Different strokes. He seemed like nothing more than an Elmore James wannabe, with the same few slide licks in his vocabulary.
    The best live songs FM did had no slide on them IMO. Peter Green's slide playing is worlds better than Spencer's.

Quote Originally Posted by rapidfirerob View Post
    Different strokes. He seemed like nothing more than an Elmore James wannabe, with the same few slide licks in his vocabulary.
    The best live songs FM did had no slide on them IMO. Peter Green's slide playing is worlds better than Spencer's.
    Yeah, Spencer was good at two things: the Elmore James knock offs, and the sort of rock n roll pastiche/parody thing, which was apparently also a big part of the early Fleetwood Mac live show. My impression is that he didn't really participate much in the bad ass blues/rock part of their of the original band's sound.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, Spencer was good at two things: the Elmore James knock offs, and the sort of rock n roll pastiche/parody thing, which was apparently also a big part of the early Fleetwood Mac live show. My impression is that he didn't really participate much in the bad ass blues/rock part of their of the original band's sound.
    I agree, that's basically my view too. The rock n roll parody stuff was the only thing about that 5-man line up that I REALLY disliked.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ...it would never have occurred to me to compare Fleetwood Mac - any incarnation thereof - with Led Zeppelin.
    +1. Back in the daze they were more likely to be classed with Savoy Brown, Chicken Shack, early Groundhogs, and TYA.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

True, but then again Savoy Brown and Groundhogs were often compared to Zepp, catch 22.

I think Spencer's Elmore James schtick lets down all the early albums. Peter Green's writing was very original. Thankfully by the time of 'Then Play On' that took precedence...some of Danny Kirwan's stuff is also nice.

With 'Oh Well', that's one of the most original singles of the era (quite something back then). You have a raging hard-rocker then this whole instrumental section which could have been from a 'Spaghetti Western'. Amazing!

I don't know about 'bigger than The Beatles' in 1969, but they were clearly very popular in that year. I guess Peter Green couldn't handle that level of success, which would surely have gotten even bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I don't know about 'bigger than The Beatles' in 1969, but they were clearly very popular in that year. .
    I almost replied earlier to that comment and then noticed that it referred to England only. I do know that the biggest-selling band of 1969 was CCR, who released three albums that year, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    whereas Led Zep, though deserving, might be a little overappreciated.
    "A little"? I never in a million years imagined Zep would still be played on the radio forty years later. It wasn't that good when it was NEW.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    True, but then again Savoy Brown and Groundhogs were often compared to Zepp, catch 22.
    In which universe?

In England, in 1969, "Albatross" was #1 in the charts and both "Man Of The World" & "Oh Well" reached number 2. The album Then Play On, released in late 69, was a top ten seller.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by ceuyoyi View Post
    In England, in 1969, "Albatross" was #1 in the charts and both "Man Of The World" & "Oh Well" reached number 2. The album Then Play On, released in late 69, was a top ten seller.
    Drifting slightly off-topic, "Oceans Have No Memory" by Porcupine Tree is a shameless homage to Albatross.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Drifting slightly off-topic, "Oceans Have No Memory" by Porcupine Tree is a shameless homage to Albatross.
    So, for that matter, was the Beatles' "Sun King."

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    "A little"? I never in a million years imagined Zep would still be played on the radio forty years later. It wasn't that good when it was NEW.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    I agree. No "cock rock" aspect to FM
    '

No one has suggested there was. I hope you're not using "cock rock" as a synonym for hard rock, because it isn't.

Page & Plant played cock rock. Coverdale still does.
    Ozzy & Iommi didn't.

Cock rock at least in the UK referred to those singers and musicians who used sexuality.

I really like Spencer's Elmore James stuff in the live context with the whole band playing.Great interpretations of good songs, full of classic licks.

can do without a lot of the rock and roll stuff though, and green's were just as bad like Sandy Mary etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    +1. Back in the daze they were more likely to be classed with Savoy Brown, Chicken Shack, early Groundhogs, and TYA.
    Zep went a bit further with the heavy rock side of it all, but its still solidly in that blues framework at first.If someone mentioned they really like the early zep albums, especially the bluesy side of it and wanted more stuff from that era with a relatively similar vibe if not direct approach, i think all those bands would get mentioned by many.