Thread: Red Noise Sound on Sound

Red Noise Sound on Sound

I have always loved this album and recently gave it a listen for the first time in about two years. What can you say about this but WOW!...Great songs, Great playing, Great musical concepts...Bill Nelson confounded all of us when it was released-funny how after thirty five years the proggy elements stand out and are easily identified. The flatted fifth guitar riffs are right out of the KC playbook along with the KC discipline era frenetic pace.
    What do you think of this Masterpiece?

I was one of the people thinking WTF when this one came out. I was a Be Bop Deluxe fan and though this was a Bill Nelson solo album I wasn't expecting anything like this. But I like many others came to like it and eventually love it.

One of my favourites. A wonderful album.

A bit of a lost classic. There is a BBC live recording somewhere in the ether.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    I was one of the people thinking WTF when this one came out. I was a Be Bop Deluxe fan and though this was a Bill Nelson solo album I wasn't expecting anything like this. But I like many others came to like it and eventually love it.
    I was too...When you listen in retrospect Drastic Plastic was not too different from SOS. It's funny people used to complain about the lack of guitars...There are so many guitars on the album-just not the soaring Bill Nelson they were used to

Great album that still stands up today. These songs have a wonderful manic energy which I've always found to be exhilarating. Somehow, I was never able to get into Be-Bop Deluxe, EXCEPT for Drastic Plastic. And Sound on Sound seemed like a perfect step forward from DP to me. And let's not forget the equally brilliant follow-up, Quit Dreaming and Get on the Beam! I recall that it was originally intended to be released under the Red Noise name but for reasons I can't remember, it wound up just being credited to Bill Nelson. None of these three albums have lost any of their appeal to me over all these years!
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Was already into Be Bop Deluxe and on a whim picked this up years ago at a record swap for $2...possibly the best $2 I ever spent on an album
    Check out my solo project prog band, Mutiny in Jonestown at https://mutinyinjonestown.bandcamp.com/

Check out my solo project progressive doom metal band, WytchCrypt at https://wytchcrypt.bandcamp.com/

Played Drastic Plastic, Red Noise, early XTC, early Ultravox, Buzzcocks, Phil Manzanera K-Scope, 801 Listen Now, Split Enz Dizrhymia, Kraftwerk Man Machine, Bowie Low & Heroes, Eno Another Green World, Siouxsie and the Banshees- These were played a lot in those days.

Drastic Plastic is a Be Bop Deluxe album that I never really gave my time to, if I did I probably wouldn't have been as shocked as I was when I heard Sound On Sound the first time.
    After reading some of the replies in this thread I went to YouTube and gave Drastic Plastic a couple of listens, it is really good, much more lead guitar playing in it than the Red Noise album but a lot of the same musical ideas.
    Bottom line , Bill Nelson was and is a great talent.

Bill Nelson’s Red Noise: Art/Empire/Industry – The Complete Red Noise 4CD 2 DVD Remastered Box Set
    https://www.cherryred.co.uk/artist/b...-lgSWGyJTI8boY
    Last edited by ollie woodpecker; 09-10-2022 at 05:07 PM.

I just bought the Cherry Red reissue, so I heard it for the first time.... Great album! The second cd is a Steven Wilson remix, and I would say to listen to it... it's really in your face with all the keys upfront, give it a try! The first cd is indeed the original mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    I just bought the Cherry Red reissue, so I heard it for the first time.... Great album! The second cd is a Steven Wilson remix, and I would say to listen to it... it's really in your face with all the keys upfront, give it a try! The first cd is indeed the original mix.
    Excuse me - Steven Wilson had absolutely nothing to do with the mixes on this set - he only wrote an introduction for the booklet.

The new stereo mix and 5.1 mixes, as well as the live concert in the box set, were all done by me - Stephen W Tayler.

Pure joy!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Quote Originally Posted by ollie woodpecker View Post
    Excuse me - Steven Wilson had absolutely nothing to do with the mixes on this set - he only wrote an introduction for the booklet.

The new stereo mix and 5.1 mixes, as well as the live concert in the box set, were all done by me - Stephen W Tayler.
    Oh my god I'm so sorry really! A friend of mine told me wrong then. And when I read the introduction of the booklet my 2+2 has been that he did the mix too. I'm so sorry, I apologize again. Anyway, your work is really great, I really like how you remixed the whole thing making it sound so strong with the synths so upfront. I could delete my comment if you wish, I don't want your work to be lessened by my comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterbus View Post
    Oh my god I'm so sorry really! A friend of mine told me wrong then. And when I read the introduction of the booklet my 2+2 has been that he did the mix too. I'm so sorry, I apologize again. Anyway, your work is really great, I really like how you remixed the whole thing making it sound so strong with the synths so upfront. I could delete my comment if you wish, I don't want your work to be lessened by my comment.
    Really, please don't worry!! Just wanted to point it out as I have had a few things go awry with credits and especially spellings recently!! It has been such a great experience to have worked on this wonderful deluxe set. SWTx

Quote Originally Posted by ollie woodpecker View Post
    Really, please don't worry!! Just wanted to point it out as I have had a few things go awry with credits and especially spellings recently!! It has been such a great experience to have worked on this wonderful deluxe set. SWTx
    Sorry to be off-topic for this thread but I just have to take the opportunity to say that I loved the remixes you did on Charisma Years. They felt authentic to the material and the time period while also adding some power and richness, and spotlighting some things I'd never noticed.

I have to admit that I've never been able to get on the wavelength of Be-Bop Deluxe. I've listened to and enjoyed Love that Whirls, but his solo catalog is so overwhelming, and so much of it seems like a digression or an experiment. It's very hard to tell where to get situated for a next step. It seems like maybe this would be a good next thing to check out in exploring Nelson.
    Last edited by EBES; 09-12-2022 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EBES View Post
    I loved the remixes you did on Charisma Years. They felt authentic to the material and the time period while also adding some power and richness, and spotlighting some things I'd never noticed.
    Me too. Still getting a huge amount of pleasure from the boxset, and the remixed albums are invariably my first choice when I listen these days.
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Don't hate me, but this is one of those albums that are pretty much universally-acclaimed, so when I came across a used copy years ago, I snagged it.

It just really didn't do anything for me, so I sold it off again. I still own CDs that I liked a lot less than this one that I haven't bothered to get rid of, but I figured someone would definitely get enjoyment from it that I wasn't getting, so I sold it. Another album in the same category for me would be 801:Live, but at least I never spent any money on that; I just borrowed it years ago.
    Maybe I'll see if they appeal to me more now.

Wow! I bought this when it came out and although it was quite different from BBD I thoroughly enjoyed it. Songs were very catchy in fact I can probably replay them in my mind although I haven't heard them in decades. I'll have to enjoy this box set vicariously though as I don't have $ for anything but food, gas and rent nowadays.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...