Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Phish - Fuego (2014)

I have the new Umphrey's McGee 'Similar Skin' as well. I bought it last Saturday at Barnes and Noble along with the new Phish. It is excellent as well, also more song orientated but more guitar driven and proggy. The title track, "Educated Guess" and "Bridgeless" are very proggy. It is also a very well produced and mixed record, I agree with Sean, this might be their best yet.

www.liveonletterman.com
    The band played last week on Dave's show and the performance is available through that link; I think Peter Gabriel's set is still there too. They performed several new tracks and some classic Phish, including my favorite, "Carini". I like some of the new studio album especially the title track, "555" and hmm... guess that's it. The album starts strong but never really takes off. You can be assured the tunes will get legs or wings when played live. The first cut released via YouTube "Waiting All Night" has a great Canterbury feel as the band are clearly channeling Caravan. Just check out the video and the grey and pink motif for proof. In all, I like the album, not as much as several others of theirs but for someone like myself that has seen them several times with a few more next week being added, it'll be wonderful how they create these songs in their live environment.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
    I bought it yesterday at Barnes and Noble. Gave it two full listens last night and this might be (imo) the best album of the year, regardless of musical genre. This is a more song orientated album, the songs have a Steely Dan vibe and they are memorable. The playing here is fantastic and the songwriting is flawless, I found it to be an almost perfect album. The production by Bob Ezrin is incredible, by all means I recommend you to listen to this on headphones, which I did last night. The songs are catchy, the standouts to me were the fantastic proggy 9 minute title track, "Devotion To A Dream", "Halfway To The Moon" and the final track "Wingsuit" which, with its epic feel, has to be heard to be believed. But all songs are strong and memorable, no filler here. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up getting a Grammy nomination. Personally, I recommend it.
    Thanks for the inspiration to check this out, which I probably wouldn't have otherwise. I agree that's it's an enjoyable album, and I'll keep at least half of it in rotation on my iPod. Wingsuit and some of the other mellow tracks are really nice, and I also like 555.

It's not a stunner, though, and even with the horns, backup singers and production, this isn't approaching Steely Dan territory for me. Phish never rise to the band that I hope they will be, though Picture of Nectar was quite an album. I wish they hit harder, sang better, had more truly incredible songs, and that their jams delivered more consistently. I stopped trying to be a Phish-head back in the early 90's when I realized there just was too much filler and noodling to make it worth the pay-off. I still have enjoyed a couple of tracks from many of their albums, and love a lot of the material especially on the first 3 albums. The new one is rewarding in the same way that Fly From Here is for me, which is pleasant enough, but I'd hope for more.

The Phish album is only 10 bucks at amazon right now (only 52 cents more than the MP3 version).

The CD version of Umphrey McGee's new album is actually 2 dollars less than the MP3 version.

And people ask me why I still buy CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Thanks for the inspiration to check this out, which I probably wouldn't have otherwise. I agree that's it's an enjoyable album, and I'll keep at least half of it in rotation on my iPod. Wingsuit and some of the other mellow tracks are really nice, and I also like 555.

It's not a stunner, though, and even with the horns, backup singers and production, this isn't approaching Steely Dan territory for me. Phish never rise to the band that I hope they will be, though Picture of Nectar was quite an album. I wish they hit harder, sang better, had more truly incredible songs, and that their jams delivered more consistently. I stopped trying to be a Phish-head back in the early 90's when I realized there just was too much filler and noodling to make it worth the pay-off. I still have enjoyed a couple of tracks from many of their albums, and love a lot of the material especially on the first 3 albums. The new one is rewarding in the same way that Fly From Here is for me, which is pleasant enough, but I'd hope for more.
    You're welcome! Your comments are very interesting and I understand where you are coming from. I've read similar comments about Phish through the years. I just take this album for what it is which is a song orientated album. From that standpoint, they did come with great tunes and compared with some of their other albums, I find it to be more focused because of that. As someone already mentioned, it is a varied record, I'm sure this will grow on you with repeated listens. I actually listened to it yesterday for the fourth or 5th time on my afternoon drive back from work and I enjoy it more and more, even the more pop tracks I'm enjoying very much, I understand they give variety to the record. I'm also in awe with the production, which is a thing that I always pay attention when I buy an album. If I'm going to spend my hard earned money on music, I *expect* it to be of high quality production values and this record didn't disappoint in that area. As for the Steely Dan comment, it's not that it sounds like Steely Dan, but it has that vibe the way some of the songs sounds and even from a vocal standpoint, it reminded me of them. I think it is a great album for them, glad you enjoy it and appreciate your comments.