Thread: Phil Collins in the news...

Phil Collins in the news...

Says in the paper today that he was in San Antonio Thursday, and announced he was donating his Alamo-related collection of artifacts, considered to be the world's largest private collection.

That is all. Oh, wait, it says Davey Crockett played a Ludwig kit during breaks in the Battle Of The Alamo in 1836.

Hmm... I'm up the road in Austin. Is this collection in San Antonio then? Link?

I heard that they will be displayed in the basement at The Alamo.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

how long until the "Phil Collins ruined the Alamo" thread?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    how long until the "Phil Collins ruined the Alamo" thread?
    About 32 minutes ago (you).

Good on Phil.

I heard he also announced classic genesis will do a one off concert of the lamb in the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Hmm... I'm up the road in Austin. Is this collection in San Antonio then? Link?
    Sorry, I post from my phone, not sure how to do links. It was in the USAToday paper, if that helps.

I was just at the Alamo last night! - literally. We spent a night at the Menger Hotel, circa 1856. Directly accross form the Alamo. Most haunted Hotel in Texas that starts with the letter "M" didnt see any spooks, just my wife without makeup. The hotel was a little creepy, smelled like my grandmas house(the Hotel, I mean) It was Pretty nice. I didnt see Phil anywhere around though. If Phil ruined the Alamo, I may have seen some evidence of it. It looked like it had been through some kind of war. Idiot musicians cant stand to let anything be...

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    The lack of such is something you just gotta experience.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Peter Gabriel Ruined Genesis with Lamb!

Pee Wee for the win!

pop star? Tens of millions?

This afternoon, the Texas General Land Office announced that the pop star has agreed to donate his collection, which is thought to be worth tens of millions of dollars, to the state. For free. All of it. That includes hundreds of documents, ranging from a letter Stephen F. Austin wrote from a Mexican prison in January 1834 and Sam Houston’s original 1835 land grant for property in East Texas to the signed receipt for thirty beeves that William Travis brought into the Alamo on the day the siege began, plus artifacts like uniforms and Brown Bess muskets that belonged to Mexican soldiers, a sword belt believed to have been worn by Travis when he died atop the northern wall, and a shot pouch that Crockett is thought to have given a Mexican soldier just before he was executed.

I thought Ozzy ruined the Alamo !!!!

(sorry, no link)

Quote Originally Posted by Prog Lives View Post
    pop star? Tens of millions?
    An odd thing for Collins to be interested in to the extent of collecting so much bits and pieces, I would have thought.

A conversation possibly had in 1980….

Tony: Phil, really…
    Mike: ….how many dates in Texas do we need to do?
    Phil: SHUT UP! AS MANY AS POSSIBLE!!!
    Manager: I just got off the phone… eight gigs in San Antonio isn't worth it.
    (Phil tears the last of his hair out.)
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Those cannon balls are a bitch to carry around. ;-)

Seems like I may have heard about this Alamo collection years ago.

But, I guess I didn't remember.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

you know i've had and listened to 'Lamb' for the past 25 years and also read the inner liner notes and i still don't know what the hell that album is all about!

Phil is also rehearsing for a potential solo tour.

Phil Collins In Rehearsals For Potential Comeback Tour
    Send to a Friend
    inShare

Phil Collins last toured in 2005, but if all goes well over the coming weeks he just may mount a comeback tour sooner rather than later. Phil's longtime solo band bass player Lee Sklar broke the news via I'd Hit That that Collins has planned three weeks of rehearsals with a band he put together that includes not only Sklar but drummer Jason Bonham and if all goes well he'll embark on his first tour in nearly a decade.

Sklar reveals that the rehearsal sessions will feature a "firm setlist." While drummer Chester Thompson wasn't available for the rehearsals, as mentioned, Jason Bonham will be behind the kit for the sessions. “If at the end of three weeks, he feels like it’s still got the old mojo, then he’ll talk to management and see what they want to do,” Sklar told I’d Hit That. “Personally, I didn’t think we were ever going to play again, and then all of a sudden, I think he’s in a better place in his life. His two young sons, I think kind of said to him: ‘We’ve never seen you.’ And I think a lot of things came together, where he wants to test the waters.”

While we're happy that Collins is considering a tour, we were holding out hope that tour would feature the 1971 - 1975 lineup of Genesis. Recently, the BBC brought together that lineup for the first time since 1975 to participate in a new documentary about the band.

Last month Collins made his long-awaited return to the stage at a place you'd least expect, when he performed at a middle school concert.

[Published on: 6/26/14]

I heard a little story on NPR this morning about this. They referred to "Phil Collins, pop star, known for songs like 'Sussudio' and 'In the Air Tonight.'"

yeselpkrimson
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Says in the paper today that he was in San Antonio Thursday, and announced he was donating his Alamo-related collection of artifacts, considered to be the world's largest private collection.
    Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    you know i've had and listened to 'Lamb' for the past 25 years and also read the inner liner notes and i still don't know what the hell that album is all about!
    The secret to that album is the anagram hidden in the title, which Phil obviously obsessed over all those years:

THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY = WEIRD BOB DYLAN OWNS THE ALAMO

Quote Originally Posted by yeselpkrimson View Post
    The secret to that album is the anagram hidden in the title, which Phil obviously obsessed over all those years:

THE LAMB LIES DOWN ON BROADWAY = WEIRD BOB DYLAN OWNS THE ALAMO
    Bizarro!

I heard a little story on NPR this morning about this. They referred to "Phil Collins, pop star, known for songs like 'Sussudio' and 'In the Air Tonight.'"
    Sussudio left a black mark on my young life - I wanted the last Genesis album for Christmas around the time that rotten thing came out - what does my Aunt buy me? That damn record. I never opened it - so I have a pristine un-opened vinyl copy on my shelf to this day.