Thread: RIP Eli Wallach

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

RIP Eli Wallach

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly actor died Tuesday at age 98.

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

He had a good innings!

RIP

And he played a very bittersweet role as Arthur Abbott? in 'The Holiday'-very sad, seemed a real likable gentleman.

Just heard about it. Fine actor he was. RIP Eli.

Rip ugly
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Can't believe he was still alive! Good run though. 98. Damn!

"I'll rest in peace now, eh Blondie?"
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

i mostly know him from his two iconic roles in "Good, the Bad and the Ugly" and "Magnificent 7". But I did know he never really stopped acting until failrly recently. Talk about longevity! As to those two films, I'm so happy that the PC police were not around then to criticize having a Jewish actor portray a Mexican. It's called acting for a reason, and he made those characters memorable. 98, God bless him, he had a great run.

He was pretty good in The Deep, too.

He was great in The Misfits too. I had no idea he was Jewish, and I couldn't care less. Loved him in every film I've seen him in.

Bummer, “The Good The Bad And The Ugly” is one of my all time favorite movies and he was great in it. It is cool that he remained active well into his 90’s. The last film I remember him in was the “Wall Street” sequel that came out a few years ago. I just re-watched “Godfather III” a couple of weeks ago, where he played a major role.

Tuco Juan Pacifico Ramirez is a role that's unforgettable! With the direction of Sergio Leone and his script writers, he brought the character to life like no other in any Leone western. He was the perfect choice for the role. I frequently spurt out lines from TGTB&TU with his Mexican accent. I also started a thread on him in The Way-off Topic section. "Don't die Blondie, not until you give me the name!" I hope he's now with Leone and Lee Van Cleef, laughing about the old days!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

RIP Eli.

He doesn't sound Mexican at all in that clip. You can't take "The City" outta the boy.... Kinda like Tony Curtis in whatever film that was he did where his Lower East Side accent came through pretty thick (Ova yonda lies da castle o' my faddah ). Seriously, I didn't know he (Eli) was still kicking. God bleshum. RIP.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    We went to "Al Pacino - One Night Only" last night, and he talked about his career, but apparently forgot to mention Wallach until prompted by a guy yelling in the crowd near the end.

Call St Peter and let him know Eli's coming

RIP

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

He'll be a cinema immortal for Tuco alone. Whilst the hysterical ranting-and-raving is what people remember about that performance (and rightly so), I love the scene with him and his estranged brother who became a priest. A beautifully acted moment.