Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gout - anybody else afflicted and what are you doing about it?

Gout - anybody else afflicted and what are you doing about it?

As ProgDay gets closer, I am thinking about getting a patron ticket so I won't have to walk so far to the site. My gout has been acting up lately, and I can't see hobbling the entire length of the field with all my stuff. I'm afraid I'll have an attack of it then, which will make my attendance miserable. I've been lucky to have been spared the other times I've been.

Anybody else out there experience this wonderful part getting older, and if so what do you do about it? I've cut out beer and tea, or at least for the times I'm having an attack, and I drink a lot of water. That seems to help. I also take Advil and Aleve, which help a bit. I hear black cherry juice is good for it, but it's so hard to find. My dad took allopurinol regularly and that took care of the pain, but he was so gnarled in the toes and hands by it that he had to retire at 62 instead of later. I hear Ben Franklin was hobbled by it, so I'm in good company.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I am susceptible to gout attacks. I haven't had one for quite a while, but when I do it is sure painful. I have had broken bones that hurt less. Beer is a big culprit among alcoholic beverages. If you want to drink alcohol, give preference to non-grain alcoholic beverages, like wine, brandy, rum, tequila. And don't overdo (I'm speaking from a health standpoint, not preaching). I didn't even know tea was bad for gout. I drink coffee, and in summer lots of iced tea. I probably shouldn't, but coffee is my sole addiction. I take allopurinol daily, but had to stop once for a year or so due to lack of health insurance. I paid for that with several severe gout attacks. Also, allopurinol is useless once a gout attack starts. It is only a preventative. Gout damaged the joint on my big toe and I have a piece of bone floating around in there in a big lump that makes it painful to wear shoes. Never could afford the surgery to have the bone chip removed. Since gout is so damaging to the joints, and very painful, preventing attacks is important. One doctor once overprescribed NSAIDs, so now I can't take them at all. I have tried cherry juice (any cherry juice is supposed to be good for joint pain-doesn't have to be tart or black). I don't know for sure if it helps, but it can't harm you. Trader Joe's has some cherry juice for $4/qt. You will pay more at a health food store. Just eating cherries is also good, and right now is cherry season. Celery seed extract is also supposed to help. Like the cherry juice, it's difficult to tell how much good it does, but it might be worth a try. You can find online a list of foods to avoid or eat only in moderation. Here is one such list of high-purine foods:
    Meats:
    Beef
    Organ meats
    Pork
    Lamb
    Meat-based gravies
    Beverage:
    Beer
    Seafood:
    Anchovies
    Herring
    Scallops
    Sardines
    Mussels
    Trout
    Roe
    Codfish
    Haddock
    Vegetables:
    Spinach
    Cauliflower
    Asparagus
    Mushrooms
    Other:
    Oatmeal
    Peas
    Dried Beans
    Lentils

I never had gout before I lived where I am now. I don't think my diet changed significantly from previous places I have lived. So it must be one of the joys of getting older. Many people mistakenly believe gout is solely caused by diet and can be prevented by the proper diet. Diet plays a role, but some folks seem to be unable to eliminate uric acid from their bodies, and it builds up as crystals in the joints. That's what allopurinol is for, to help rid your body of uric acid. If you decide to take allopurinol, be aware it makes you sleepy. As prescription drugs go, allopurinol is inexpensive. Stress is another factor in causing an attack. Best of luck to you, Lopez. Hate to think of someone else going through the pain of gout. I sympathize about the concert. I went to a concert during a gout attack. Had to take a walking cane. Another fun thing is a gout attack in your right foot and having to drive long distance.
    Last edited by spellbound; 06-24-2014 at 01:54 PM.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Another fun thing is a gout attack in your right foot and having to drive long distance.
    Thank you so much for all the information, Spellbound. Naturally, all the stuff I like to eat is on the list of things to avoid. My daughter told me about the celery seeds. She said I should make a tea out of it. Funny you mention driving. I get the gout in my left foot and I drive a standard transmission car, so using the clutch is painful. Wish I still had a car with cruise control.
    Lou

I have had to cancel some drives because the pain in my wrist made it difficult to steer. Sure, I could have tried driving with one hand like an idiot with a cell phone does. But it wasn't worth the chance of harming someone. The joints I have had affected by gout are toe, foot, ankle, knee and wrist. A doctor opined that the wrist may have been arthritis, which is certainly possible considering the amount of time I have spent using a hammer or single jack, but the symptoms were the same: lots of pain and limited movement. I'd love to manage gout without drugs, but to do so would require me to exercise and lose weight. I would gladly do so, but my damaged toe prevents me from getting very far. Sort of a gout catch-22. Meanwhile I'm thankful that most of the time I'm fine and can get around well enough and meet the physical requirements of any job I am qualified to do. A doctor assured me the allopurinol wouldn't harm me.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Without Allopurinol I'd be a cripple. It is the only thing that keeps the gout in check. I buy tart cherry juice at Trader Joe's and do not drink alcohol. They say a high protein diet can bring it on but I'm convinced the only thing that helps me is the medication.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Cut down on organ meats while at ProgDay!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Cut down on organ meats while at ProgDay!
    The one time of the year I get to eat what I want without she-who-must-be-obeyed saying, "You know, you're not supposed to eat that!" My name has become "You know."
    Lou

Sounds like "she's" looking out for you

Be grateful : )

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

My 84 year old mother has been troubled by gout. First bout of medicine did not work which was a Z pack type regimen. 2nd steroidal type medicine helped. She is back on her feet and back agitating my father. His name is You Know too. I think it is a combination of looking out and being a pain in the ass.

I thought I had gout.

My Mom in Law sent me to her Dr and it turns out I have Osteoarthritis.

Never thought I would be grateful for arthritis.

Been relatively pain free for a couple of months now.

DtB

Quote Originally Posted by Dave the Brave View Post
    I thought I had gout.

My Mom in Law sent me to her Dr and it turns out I have Osteoarthritis.

Never thought I would be grateful for arthritis.

Been relatively pain free for a couple of months now.

DtB
    Don't know much about osteoarthritis. Just looked it up; I don't want that, either. I guess that's part of getting older when you can prefer one disease over another.
    Lou

Arthritis beats Gout whn it comes down to pain.

And I don't have to give up drinking and eating meat.

DtB

If you really love a beer but can't drink for simple gout 'flare ups' then you might try a stout - my friend has gout issues when he drinks anything but wine --- but he can have an occasional stout binge and be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    If you really love a beer but can't drink for simple gout 'flare ups' then you might try a stout - my friend has gout issues when he drinks anything but wine --- but he can have an occasional stout binge and be fine.
    I'll give that a try. I'm attack-free at the moment so having a couple stouts would be a good test. Thanks for the info, Jennifer.

Wine seems OK with me, too. I had some home-made yesterday with no sign of a flare-up.
    Lou

I have had gout since my early 30's, occasional crippling flare ups and then long periods of no pain, but I do take a daily Allopurinol. At least they are prescribed as daily, but I'm fearful of long term effects of over use and so tend to self regulate and take one every other day, which seems to work for me.

When I hit my 40's and could no longer play football (soccer) due to a knee injury, I started running and really became a lot fitter, this seemed to help too, weight loss + fitness = pain free. Sadly my back is causing me pain when I run now, so my marathons, half-marathons and 10ks are things of the past (I'm 53 now), but still hit the gym and do an hour of cardio three to four times a week, but all non-impact stuff (cross trainer, cycle, elliptical trainer)

I totally sympathise with the gout + gig situation, I attended The Musical Box playing The Lamb at the RAH once, on crutches, I was in agony and it detracted hugely from my enjoyment. I am off to a music and arts festival this weekend, lots of standing and walking, but I'll be equipped with anti-inflammatories in case of any flare up. I do not drink to excess but do enjoy a glass of wine, a few beers or especially a bloody Mary from time to time, life's too short not to!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller
    I do take a daily Allopurinol. At least they are prescribed as daily, but I'm fearful of long term effects of over use and so tend to self regulate and take one every other day, which seems to work for me.
    I do not know what the long term effects of Allopurinol might be. I do know gout attacks can destroy your joints, so I weight it against that. I believe allopurinol only comes in one strength, 100 mg. People who need more, take more than one pill a day. It is not wrong to take less, as you are doing. The amount you take should be no more than you need to prevent attacks. If one every other day works for you, then that is the correct dose for you. A doctor might arrive at the same dosage after giving you several blood and urine tests. Your method of self regulating is much less expensive.

codyedwardwilliams
    You got a lot to limit and avoid if you have gout and that includes food that could trigger the attack. Foods to avoid if you have gout are red meat, organ meat, high purine rich content foods,alcohol and seafood. If you really want to stay healthy, follow a low purine diet to get you kicking with the food you love while staying healthy. More of gout diet tips that is right for you here http://lowpurinediets.com/

Drink LOTS of water to flush out that uric acid
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by codyedwardwilliams View Post
    More of gout diet tips that is right for you here http://lowpurinediets.com/
    Thanks for the link. I'll have to go through all the information. Recently, I has a minor flare-up for which I took a couple Aleves, drank a lot of water, and walked as much as I could. That seemed to abate the twinge of pain within a day.
    Lou

A friend of mine has it, and he says staying away from meat & alkohol is the only thing that helps.

I had gout only once, or at least the doctor told me that is what it was. I haven't had it since. I still eat most everything on the list above except I don't eat the food on the seafood list anyway. I used to eat pickled herring, which I love, and gave that up. I rarely drink, and it's almost never beer. If it is, it is only one. I didn't know about stout. I don't eat beef, in any case. I do have occasional bunion flareups, but usually not too bad. I cut up mole skin and put a patch over the bone where it flares up daily. I feel for you guys that have to deal with gout on a chronic basis. I stopped adding salt to food decades ago, though restaurants certainly add loads of salt in general. Best of luck to you guys!

The official 'gout-advice' from the danish health institute (google translated):

Allupurinol is the prescribed drug: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allopurinol

Overweight
    Avoid obesity and weight gain.

A significant weight loss in overweight can reduce the amount of uric acid in the blood. There may be a risk that a rapid weight loss triggers a temporary attack.

Drink plenty of water. Drink like coffee and lowfat milk. Hold with alcohol, especially beer and spirits, as well as sugar-sweetened drinks and fruit juices.

Fruits and Vegetables
    Eat a lot of all kinds of vegetables. Replace proteins from meat with vegetables, such as lentils, beans and chickpeas. Eat fruit.

Animal products
    Hold back with meat, organ meats and seafood. It may be better to eat fish. Eat low-fat dairy products.

Sugar
    Hold back with sugar.

Excercise:
    Stay in shape.

Tobacco
    Do not smoke.

codyedwardwilliams
    Hey guys, a list of top gout foods to avoid will surely help you to minimize gout attacks and the pain it brings in the joints. I found this link http://goo.gl/z5WCQN , it's a full package of list of foods that must be avoided if you have gout. Good luck guys on the journey of gout! Have a healthy diet.

Quote Originally Posted by codyedwardwilliams View Post
    Hey guys, a list of top gout foods to avoid will surely help you to minimize gout attacks and the pain it brings in the joints. I found this link http://goo.gl/z5WCQN , it's a full package of list of foods that must be avoided if you have gout. Good luck guys on the journey of gout! Have a healthy diet.
    Thanks so much for the link. I've looked over the top three items to avoid on the link, it looks like beer is on almost everyone's list. Lately, I've switched to rum and so far no attacks. I am drinking more water too, and it seems that keeping hydrated no matter what you eat and drink is key.
    Lou

I was once told by a doctor that, while beer is definitely bad for gout, wine is relatively harmless in regard to gout. Recently this came to light, so while wine may not be high in purines, it is not harmless:

"Very high levels of arsenic" in top-selling wines

Strangely, the main offenders tested are all wines I wouldn't drink, anyway. They are either sweet white wines or fake rosés.

White Zinfandel - a vile pink concoction made from the zinfandel grape, that looks like rosé and tastes like soda pop.

Moscato - a super-sweet white wine made from the muscat grape.

White Grenache - I have never seen this but assume, like white zinfandel, it is a red wine made into a sweet blush wine to sell to people who don't like wine. Made from the grenache grape.

I would like to see the test results on real wines. It is interesting what they can sell to people without being required to have a toxicity warning. The rule of thumb is the cheaper the wine, the more arsenic it contains. There have also been recent warnings of arsenic in apple juice and rice.