Thread: Some "progressive country" from Steve Earle

Some "progressive country" from Steve Earle

Steve Earle's music has the bite of a copperhead.

http://thecrossovermusicchannel.blog...eek-steve.html
    thecrossovermusicchannel.com

aviewfromthemiddleclass.com

meimjustalawnmower
    My favorite Steve Earle song. You have to relate to understand...

I've always loved "Copperhead Road". Does he have more in that style?

Johnny Cash was progressive country.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Copperhead Road is a classic!

The only thing I have with Steve Earle on it is the collaboration he did with The Del McCoury Band. Just listened to it again last week, fantastic.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Copperhead Road is the monster of his career but I am really fond of the albums Transcendental Blues and Washington Square Serenade. In answer to the question above about Copperhead Road, he has moved on from that sound. Now he's more of a folk/country/bluegrass fusion thing than rebel country rock. One of those guys that just keeps evolving.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Love Steve from the beginning. First saw him on an awards show performing "Guitar Town" in '86 and got it. I've never looked back, picking up every album since on its day of release. Yes, "Copperhead Road" is his legacy, and what a powerful song it is. However overall, my favorite front-to-back album would be its criminally overlooked follow-up The Hard Way.

You can separate Earle's career into two phases, pre and post-prison. His post-prison career has been outstanding. Since 1995 he has hit a bullseye more or less with every release. His pre-prison work was mostly "New Traditionalist" Nashville Country, albeit with a strong Springsteen slant. Since '95, he's been increasingly eclectic and adventurous. There's something brilliant on all of his albums, but post-prison, I'd say El Corazon is the one to have if you could only have one.

meimjustalawnmower
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    Johnny Cash was progressive country.
    Steve Earle is Johnny Cash, Hank Sr. and Woody Guthrie all rolled into one.