Thread: FEATURED CD - Martin Orford : Classical Music And Popular Songs

FEATURED CD - Martin Orford : Classical Music And Popular Songs

Per DPRP:
    Everybody I've spoken to so far seems to agree on two things. Firstly, the title of this album is quite horrendous. Personally it reminds me of those cheesy tel-sell commercials where Paul King or some other has-been will sell you some CD set with titles like 'Rock Masters of the 70s' or whatever. Secondly, everybody seems to agree that besides the title it's a damn fine album with many tunes in various styles. So, in a way, the title does cover the content of the album.

Martin Orford is no stranger in the world of progressive rock. His resume includes more than 20 years of keyboard playing with IQ and it's predecessor The Lens, as well as many years with Gary Chandler's Jadis. In the second half of the nineties he could also regularly be seen on the road with the John Wetton Band.
    With this impressive background, it's not a big surprise that many of his musical mates turn up on this record as well. All of the members of IQ and Jadis appear in one or more track on the album, while it also features contributions by John Wetton himself on vocals and his guitarist Dave Kilminster on guitar. Finally, Tony Wright, who played saxophone on IQ's 'Subterranea' album and who can be seen on the Subterranea live video as well, turns up playing his instrument on one of the tracks.

I have been in the fortunate position to be able to hear some of the music on this solo album in a very early stage. At the end of last year Martin had decided to finally start recording his own album, something which he had been planning for years. During one of my visits he played me some of the material that was being finalized for the latest Jadis album Understand as well as 8 pieces he was considering for the solo album. Most - if not all - have ended up on the final CD in one form or another.

Some of you might already know the pieces Quilmes and Tatras, which Martin has played many times at John Wetton concerts and can be found on some of Wetton's more recent live albums, including Nomansland. Quilmes is a lighthearted piano piece that Martin wrote in the late 70s and was eventually named by Wetton after a local beer during a tour a tour in Argentina in 1996. Tatras on the other hand is a more heavy classical piece which is kind of special to me because it was first played on DPRP's DPRS festival in 1998. The new version of this album doesn't only feature the piano, but also flute and extensive keyboard orchestration.
    Both of these are great tracks if you like lightly classical piano music.
    The only other track that has Martin playing on his own is the short acoustic guitar ditty Picnic which would not have been out of place on a 70s Yes album.

Part of Me is a straightforward rock track sung by John Wetton. Martin gave it that Asia approach of harmony chorusses and a big guitar solo where technical perfection (Dave Kilminster) and great melody (Gary Chandler) alternate. Other people appearing on this one are John Jowitt (bass), Steve Christey (drums) and Paul Cook (tambourine). The track starts with just keyboards and vocals; drums and bass come in after more than a minute. There's also a nice combined keyboard/guitar solo. Great track !
    Another straightforward track is the nice poppy ballad Days of Our Lives which features the full Jadis band plus Tony Wright on saxophone. A lovely love song kind of thing which Martin dedicated to his girlfriend Chris. The song ends with Gary Chandler doing one of his best David Gilmour impressions.
    Evensong is another track with the Jadis line-up; a peaceful instrumental track with flute, piano and wonderful orchestration plus a great guitar solo by Gary Chandler.

On to the more proggy stuff. Fusion is an instrumental that was written in the 70s and was also played live by The Lens. Therefore it was only natural for IQ's Mike Holmes to play lead guitars on it (Mike was in The Lens as well). This wonderful energetic track with a Baroque feel where uptempo full-band sections alternate with harpsichord solos would not have been out of place among the first tracks on the Seven Stories Into Ninety Eight album. Martin also included it on the album to prove that he was already writing this kind of music before he had ever heard of 'progressive rock' and bands like Genesis. Besides Mike Holmes, the track also features the other guys from Jadis.

Take the whole IQ band and replace Mike Holmes with Gary Chandler and you've got the line-up for The Overload. A spooky track which Peter Nicholls and Martin wrote during the Subterranea sessions but was never used. The atmosphere of the song is in the vein of Sense in Sanity from the 'Subterranea' album, but more powerful, with lots of sequencers and uptempo rhythms in the second half. Another highlight !

The Final Solution features Paul and John from IQ plus again the magical combination of Dave Kilminster and Gary Chandler on guitar. It evolved from a bit of music IQ used to play live in a 'glam rock' medley. It's a pumping and stomping little mid-tempo track with a very cheerful atmosphere nevertheless. Nice usage of backing vocals in parts of the chorus.

And finally there's the opening track of the album, and one of the highlights of the disc: Field of Fallen Angels. This was one of the songs Martin played me last year on just keyboard and mandolin. Since then it has turned into this massive prog rock track with clear folk influences. Unfortunately the mandolin has become a bit less present in this version, but the sheer energy of the track more than makes up for this. Gentle flute playing opens the song, after which it goes into an uptempo energetic & bombastic rock section with a nice cathcy melody. Halfway through the song, after a nice synth solo, the melody changes and the tempo goes down. While Jowitt pumps away on the bass a nice bagpipe chanter solo plays. The song closes with a reprise of the bombastic opening. One of the highlights of the album. Line-up is the Jadis band plus David Kilminster on acoustic guitar.

All in all a very nice album full of wonderful tunes covering lots of musical styles. Don't expect an IQ album from Martin's solo CD, it's much more versatile than that. Don't expect a Wakeman-like keyboard extravaganza either. There's lots of nice keyboard solos on the album, but (with the exception of Quilmes and Tatras) they are not meant as the focus of the track but to support the track.
    Expect a wonderful mixture of some light classical piano pieces, a couple of lost IQ tracks, some nice pop songs and a few prog rock pieces with folky influences. If this mixture appeals to you, you should certainly get a copy of Classical Music and Popular Songs.

The 8-page booklet is another fine piece of work by Geoff Chandler who also did the Jadis artwork, and it features interesting liner notes for all tracks and several pictures, among which one of Martin's school band Triangular Heel.

Conclusion: 9- out of 10.

Ed Sander
    http://www.dprp.net/specials/orford/#orfordreview

Regards,

Duncan

I really enjoy "The Old Road" but I don't have this one yet. "Part of Me" sounds more typical AOR to me than songs on "The Old Road", but at least the solos are great! I'll look forward to hearing the more adventurous tracks and see if I can buy this soon.

An excellent album that should appeal strongly to fans of Yes, Genesis, and Asia. Definitely one of the most overooked and underrated albums of the last 10 years or so.

Suspended
    The reviewer is right about one thing - awful album title. It suggests something Andre Rieu would put out. The cover art, while quite attractive, would only reinforce this impression.

I'm quite liking this clip. Reminds me a little of jimmy Webb.

Bag of chips

A lovely diverse album. I think the title is a little bit of a p*** take really. Any Jadis or IQ fan should have this in their collection.

I remember buying the CD at an IQ gig in Whitchurch and before the gig, I saw Martin walking towards me eating a bag of chips (that's fries to our US members). I stopped him to shake his hand, which on reflection was probably not a great idea for either of us. I told him I'd just bought his CD and he thanked me, which was nice.

Oh man do I love this album!! I don't know how to describe it but when I hear it, I just sit there with a big stupid grin on my face while it plays. I really wish Martin would put out more music.

Here is a review I wrote back in 2007:

"Orford is probably best known as the long time keyboard player for English progressive rockers IQ. To my knowledge this is his first solo album and I have to admit that I was pleasantly surprised with the material to be found here. The title of the album is rather unimaginative, but don't let it fool you, there is some very nice music to be found here. Orford wrote the material and handles all the keyboards. He also plays a bit of acoustic guitar. Most of the tracks have vocals (provided by Orford, John Wetton, and Peter Nichols). All of the members of IQ appear at one point or another on the disc as well. Surprisingly Orford has quite a good voice. It reminds me of former IQ vocalist Paul Menel, in fact I had to check the liner notes while listening to this to double check that Menel did not appear on the album. The music is quite varied with shorter tracks mixed with longer ones. I would think that IQ fans would eat this album up, and fans of progressive rock in general should enjoy this. All in all the entire album is a pleasant little surprise from Mr. Orford, and now that he has left IQ I suspect that we will be hearing more solo work from him down the road."

I still really like this album and pull it out on occasion.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I adore both of Orford's solo albums.

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    Oh man do I love this album!! I don't know how to describe it but when I hear it, I just sit there with a big stupid grin on my face while it plays. I really wish Martin would put out more music.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I adore both of Orford's solo albums.
    Agreed, on both counts. I'd love to see him do another one.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I like what I've heard of his other album. Not being a big IQ or Jadis fan, I didn't even know he was in those bands, and when I heard some tracks from 'The Old Road' I would never have guessed he was in those bands, but I look forward to giving this a listen.

Love em both!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Agreed, on both counts. I'd love to see him do another one.
    Absolutely! Although, I highly doubt it.

I don't share the love for this. I think it's bland and tired sounding - only very vague snatches of the IQ magic.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I don't share the love for this. I think it's bland and tired sounding - only very vague snatches of the IQ magic.
    Well, the "single" does sound very standard rock/pop or AOR if you will (with some great solos though), but I'm sure there are better/more interesting/more reflective of his writing talent in IQ kind of tracks on there, if only I knew where it's still available? It's no longer available from GEP or it's 300 bucks on ebay. I think we're looking at an "out of print" CD unless I'm very much mistaken.

I'm not a download guy but does anyone know where I could buy this on CD? I should check places like laser's edge, they might have some...

Oh, well here it is for $89 on amazon. I guess that's a little better but ah, no.

http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Musi.../dp/B00004WZ6O

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    I couldn't get into this either unfortunately.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    I couldn't get into this either unfortunately.
    Hey, John how's it going up there? I could use a swim at Wasaga right about now, might have to settle for port dover some time soon Well, with the "Classical Music and Popular Songs" album, I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to decide if I'm getting into it or not since it seems so hard to obtain in physical copy--I'll keep looking around for it. I do like "The Old Road" though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Baird View Post
    Oh, well here it is for $89 on amazon. I guess that's a little better but ah, no.

http://www.amazon.com/Classical-Musi.../dp/B00004WZ6O
    Greg at Synphonic has it for $16.

I'm not familiar with this one at all, but I would like to check it out. I like "The Old Road".

http://synphonic.8m.com/country/uk.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Baird View Post
    Hey, John how's it going up there? I could use a swim at Wasaga right about now, might have to settle for port dover some time soon Well, with the "Classical Music and Popular Songs" album, I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to decide if I'm getting into it or not since it seems so hard to obtain in physical copy--I'll keep looking around for it. I do like "The Old Road" though.
    I feel bad for our Italian tourists who just lost in the World Cup. It's like little Italy up here in the summer and the Italians i've met over the years have been great(especially the girls).
    Good luck with that Orford cd my friend.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by emperorken View Post
    Greg at Synphonic has it for $16.

I'm not familiar with this one at all, but I would like to check it out. I like "The Old Road".

http://synphonic.8m.com/country/uk.htm
    Great, thanks for the link emperorken!!! I Ordered the Orford from Greg today
    Last edited by Ken Baird; 06-25-2014 at 08:29 PM.

The CD arrived this week and on first listen, I LOVE this CD! What an amazing musician. It completely burns me that he's no longer working in music, except for the occasional live appearance. And who knew he was such a competent classical guitar player? I don't know if it would work for everyone, but I'll be spinning this a lot--great stuff (at least to me it is!)