Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mountain!

Mountain!

Been getting into these guys lately. I won their "Nantucket Sleighride" album on a New Jersey boardwalk in the early 70's and always loved the song "Travelin' in the Dark". After that I got the greatest hits record "The Best of Mountain" and then "Flowers of Evil". These guys had a great sound and great songs. Leslie West was the epitome of the tone over chops guitar style and his licks and sound are so greasy that you're checking the record stylus for barbecue sauce after the platter's done!

They seem very related to Cream because of the Felix Pappalardi connection.

I had high hopes for the West, Bruce, and Laing "Why Dontcha" record, but it's a significant step down from classic Mountain, IMHO.

Also, Papalardi's wife has been released from prison after serving her sentence for murdering him. What a bizzare story that was!

Any other Mountain or related material worth getting? I'm kind of reluctant to get the second West, Bruce, and Laing record since they were so drugged up by then, they reportedly didn't finish the songs and they had to be patched together by the producers.
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 06-20-2014 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Any other Mountain or related material worth getting?
    I dig Mountain, the first LP, which was nominally a Leslie West solo album.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Been getting into these guys lately. I won their "Nantucket Sleighride" album on a New Jersey boardwalk in the early 70's and always loved the song "Travelin' in the Dark". After that I got the greatest hits record "The Best of Mountain" and then "Flowers of Evil". These guys had a great sound and great songs. Leslie West was the epitome of the tone over chops guitar style and his licks and sound are so greasy that you're checking the record stylus for barbecue sauce after the platter's done!

They seem very related to Cream because of the Felix Papalardi connection.

I had high hopes for the West, Bruce, and Laing "Why Dontcha" record, but it's a significant step down from classic Mountain, IMHO.

Also, Papalardi's wife has been released from prison after serving her sentence for murdering him. What a bizzare story that was!

Any other Mountain or related material worth getting? I'm kind of reluctant to get the second West, Bruce, and Laing record since they were so drugged up by then, they reportedly didn't finish the songs and they had to be patched together by the producers.
    LOVE MOUNTAIN! "Flowers of Evil" is a desert island disc for me. Nothing touches that live side. (Look for the complete performance in the trading circles.) There's something about Leslie's playing that really hits me. The man has such great tone and feel. Really, there's nobody else like him.

The debut, "Leslie West Mountain," which is really a LW solo album, is essential, IMO. So, is "Climbing." There are plenty of live recordings floating around out there. "The Road Goes Ever On" is another good live on with a nice 16-minute version of "Nantucket Sleighride." One semi-official one is a double CD from New Year's Eve 1970(?), which is recommended. The Live release from Japan is okay, but it's post-breakup/reunion and they don't seem to be as hungry.

WB&L were definitely uneven. I don't have the second, but have "Why Dontcha" and "Live & Kickin'" which is not bad, but too short, IMO. I recently grabbed a download from Radio City Music Hall 11/6/72, which is out of this world. They are hitting on all cylinders and playing like I've never heard them play before. Not the greatest sound, but it blows away the official live release, IMO. Very highly recommended.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I heard the debut has Pappalardi on it for three songs but that it's a lot rougher than subsequent Mountain outings.
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 06-20-2014 at 05:07 PM.

My second concert!!!, 1974, Asbury Park, NJ......stood in line, in the pouring rain for about an hour waiting to get into the venue.

The main take-away: It was SO F***ING LOUD!!!!

Love Mountain. Climbing is the one I reach for the most after Twin Peaks.

Love Mountain. Never got a chance to see them, though. I did see West, Bruce, & Laing in April of '72. Were they ever loud! Sheer volume. They played most of the stuff from Why Dontcha along with "Mississippi Queen" and ending with "Sunshine of Your Love."
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

They seem very related to Cream because of the Felix Papalardi connection.

I'd suggest a revisit to the first WBL before bothering with the second.

TBH, to really dig Mountain and not like that album doesn't really add up, IMO.

That first WBL was really one fantastic record. It does have a bit of the straight ahead boogie stuff but Mountain often had this also. What Mountain never had were tracks like "Out Into The Fields" (Bruce's absolute peak, IMO) and "Love Is Worth The Blues." That's where the bands become apples and oranges in some ways, although there is obviously sonic overlap.

Climbing
    Nantucket
    Flowers
    Is the gold ! Melodies, balls, and guitar tone like nobody else. The liveside of Flowers is unsurpassed¨in that genre !

The first Leslie West solo album called Mountain is good, but he sounds more like Clapton and its not a band yet.

Nantucket Sleighride really is the best. I did play Flowers of Evil quite a lot in the 70's.

What's interesting is to hear West's playing on the Who's Next outtakes.

I put Leslie West as second in great riffs behind Iommi.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    I'd suggest a revisit to the first WBL before bothering with the second.

TBH, to really dig Mountain and not like that album doesn't really add up, IMO.

That first WBL was really one fantastic record. It does have a bit of the straight ahead boogie stuff but Mountain often had this also. What Mountain never had were tracks like "Out Into The Fields" (Bruce's absolute peak, IMO) and "Love Is Worth The Blues." That's where the bands become apples and oranges in some ways, although there is obviously sonic overlap.
    Well, I just got the first WBL record the other day and have listened to it a few times. It's more of a blues-based record than a song based record, the riffs aren't as plentiful, and Jack Bruce overplays on a lot of it. Pappalardi's production is better than Glyn Johns' to these ears. The absence of keyboards hurts it, too. To me, it's not nearly as good as classic Mountain. It's OK, but forgettable.

As much as I love Bruces bassplaying and singing, I was dissapointed with WBL. West seems unfocused. To much alcohol involved.
    The track the doctor is great though.

I think "Third Degree" off the first WB&L album has Jack singing his best.

Never found WB&L albums worthy of keeping ...

Flowers of Evil is my fave Mountain album.

I know I'm in a minority, but I do find some redemption for Avalanche... probably because I started on Mountain via that one...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Love Mountain.

The first time I heard Mountain was on the Woodstock II album. Leslie West/Mountain played "Blood Of The Sun." The guitar was just heavy, crunchy, and metallic.

The only thing I have from Mountain is a compilation that has all the well known songs. I also have "Why Dontcha" (which I really love). I know some people think it's lame but I think it rocks. Favorite tracks are: Why Dontcha, Love Is Worth The Blues. I also have one Leslie West solo record called "As Phat As It Gets" from 1999. There's even some cowbell on it .

Cowbell, baby! Mississippi Queen is probably the most virtuoso cowbell performance ever!

A small derail:
    Rope ladder to the moon documentary ( Jack Bruce ) 49 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZF1HrWKi68

Tony Palmers 1969 documentary on Cream bassist Jack Bruce.
    Jack Bruce: Rope Ladder to the Moon is a 55 minute documentary on the singer-songwriter, filmed around the same time that he was recording his jazz-oriented solo record, Songs for a Tailor.
    The film proves to be a snapshot of Bruce during a pivotal time in his career, just after Cream disbanded, and after he began his solo career that he has continued to this day.

Has anyone here ever heard any of the post-70s Mountain albums?

Go For Your Life
    Man's World
    Mystic Fire
    Masters Of War

I have Masters of War, which I think is a LW solo album, and Leslie's "Blues to Die for."

Both real good, IMO

MoW is Dylan covers.

I listened to Guitar Speak which has a Leslie West tune on it! It was drenched with the Scholz Rockman sound and had lost the greasy goodness found in Leslie's Mountain heyday.

What is the "organ" they used on 'Nantucket Sleighride' on 'Twin Peaks'? It's the most horrible, weedy noise that ever dribbled feebly from a speaker.

Wow! I love the keyboard sound on that tune!

I'd recommend their Avalange album, though it is uneven, and doesn't reach the heights of 'Climbing' and Nantucket Sleighride. I like Avalange probably a bit better, than Flowers Of Evil, which is too rock'n rolly for me. "Sister Justice", "You Better Believe It", and the heavy version of "Satisfaction" are notable stuff on Avalange.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Has anyone here ever heard any of the post-70s Mountain albums?

Go For Your Life
    Man's World
    Mystic Fire
    Masters Of War
    I own all these, and of this bunch I'd recommend Man's World primarily.