Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mountain!

I have most of LW's solo CDs and most of Mountain

This was on an IRS Night of the Guitars album in 1989. Made me dumb enough to think West didn't suffer too much from not branching out or developing further.

_________________________ Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I remember seeing a reunited Mountain on the old Dennis Miller show about 25 years ago, and as they were going out to a commercial, West threw a beer bottle at Richie Scarlet, who was the bass player at the time.

I like the West, Bruce, and Laing LPs - solid hard/blues rocking tunes.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Bake 1 View Post
    This was on an IRS Night of the Guitars album in 1989. Made me dumb enough to think West didn't suffer too much from not branching out or developing further.
    That is the one video I share with people when the subject of great tone comes up. His playing gives me chills.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I like the West, Bruce, and Laing LPs - solid hard/blues rocking tunes.
    Kind of uneven, but what a killer band. I think their live album was a missed opportunity. I have a show from 1972-11-06 at Radio City Music Hall, which is unfucking believable. They are in truly great form and feeding off the audience. Leslie's playing is about as inspired as it gets. It completely blows away "Live and Kickin."

I should point out that "Flowers of Evil" is a desert island disc of mine.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I have most of LW's solo CDs and most of Mountain
    Some great, gutsy rock'n'roll there as well...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    That's Leslie West? Where's the rest of him?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    That's Leslie West? Where's the rest of him?
    Yeah, he dropped a ton of weight many years ago. He has put a few back on since, but not to the point he was back in the day.
    The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone.

^^ That's Corky on drums, too. One of the bigger assholes I've seen in concert. He's pretty childish and gets a kick out of pelting people with drum sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Has anyone here ever heard any of the post-70s Mountain albums?

Go For Your Life
    Man's World
    Mystic Fire
    Masters Of War
    I have them all. Masters of War is the best of the post - Pappalardi era, though it's not original, the entire album is Dylan covers. Mystic Fire has some good tracks on it, overall, a good, heavy sounding album. Go For Your Life has all the irritating specialties of the 80s - not impressive. Man's World is so-so, has it's moments, but it's weaker album, than Mystic Fire.

Yeah, "Master of War" is quite good. I don't have most of his solo work, but "Blues to Die For" is pretty good, too.

I'd love to see it happen, but it never will.

BTW, Corky Laing just released a solo album and began a tour.

Came upon a song on YT by Leslie titled .... I Got Mine. It's a cover of a Black Keys song. Never heard anything by the BKs but Leslie's cover is damn good. It's a heavy, power trio type riff rocker. Sounds like something Mountain would do. It's on Youtube. Check it out. He does the guitar solo using a talk box. It kills.

If you want to idolize a fat Jewish slob with the social skills of a Tourette's patient, but also with a lot of useful information and insight unlike Weinstein, start reading the Norman Mailer library.

Better than any Mississippi Queen, Imaginary Western or Nantucket Sleighride ever written by a mile imo.

There is no amount of money that will ever make me think of him as anything but a fast left hand connected to Jabba The Hut.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

He is a tone master. I don't care if he's fat or Jewish. He's a guitar God. .....

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    If you want to idolize a fat Jewish slob with the social skills of a Tourette's patient, but also with a lot of useful information and insight unlike Weinstein, start reading the Norman Mailer library.

Better than any Mississippi Queen, Imaginary Western or Nantucket Sleighride ever written by a mile imo.

There is no amount of money that will ever make me think of him as anything but a fast left hand connected to Jabba The Hut.
    Yes, we know.

@Progeezer

It disturbs me a bit that you find his overweight, jewish origin relevant for his music abilities or his bad behaviour.
    Artist that experience that the audience find them 'larger than life', usually behaves as idiots for a period.
    For some that period is long.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post

Wow, no love lost there, what's up, did he shag your sister and never called, or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Wow, no love lost there, what's up, did he shag your sister and never called, or something?
    Progeezer experienced a very abusive LW (towards his wife) in a restaurant many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Progeezer experienced a very abusive LW (towards his wife) in a restaurant many years ago.
    I believe he hit on her. "Very abusive" might be a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Post #37 in the present thread.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

ok - I retract 'very'.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    He may have "hit on" Kay, but he hit Steve. so "very abusive" is not a stretch.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.