Thread: Joe Progamassa?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Joe Progamassa?

I just heard Joe Bonamassa cover A New Day Yesterday and Starship Trooper on Sirius XM. Nice! Does he ever do any other proggin'? I like Black Country Communion (and some of it approaches prog. - almost) but the solo stuff of his I've heard leaves me cold.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I just heard Joe Bonamassa cover A New Day Yesterday and Starship Trooper on Sirius XM. Nice! Does he ever do any other proggin'? I like Black Country Communion (and some of it approaches prog. - almost) but the solo stuff of his I've heard leaves me cold.
    Those are older performances. He did ANDY regularly more than ten years ago, and Wurm was part of one of his longer jams from a while back, too. He may occasionally still do them, but they are not typical of his later shows. That being said, he has shown MANY influences and I would love to hear him do more of that. He used to play "Are You Experienced?" often.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yes, both of those used to be regular parts of his shows, but I don’t think he does them anymore. Bonamassa is one of the few blues guys that acknowledges an affinity for progressive rock. I have all of Joe’s studio albums and think they are all good to great, but you won’t find much prog about them.

I've never heard his solo stuff, never even heard of him until BCC, but I've watched about half of his Guitar Center Sessions show and it's killer. His band is great, love the Hammond guy, and his style of blues works for my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I've never heard his solo stuff, never even heard of him until BCC, but I've watched about half of his Guitar Center Sessions show and it's killer. His band is great, love the Hammond guy, and his style of blues works for my ears.
    You might recongnize his bass player, Carlos Rojas who used to be in Nektar.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Carmine Rojas. He also played with David Bowie and Rod Stewart.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Carmine Rojas. He also played with David Bowie and Rod Stewart.
    Oops.....yea Carmine not Carlos.........posted that after a couple of beers last night........

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Huh, I never would have known as I know only one tune from Nektar. I kinda dig that tune King of Twilight so maybe I should check out more. Someday.

I think he used to do 'Los Endos' live as well.

Joe seems very cautious in his solo stuff these days. He knows he has a conservative, blues-oriented audience and plays to that. Heck, a lot of his fans were all up in arms about him doing BCC, which I thought was silly.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    Joe seems very cautious in his solo stuff these days. He knows he has a conservative, blues-oriented audience and plays to that. Heck, a lot of his fans were all up in arms about him doing BCC, which I thought was silly.
    Boy, I don't see that at all. I've seen him five or six times and a ton of other blues shows and never thought of the audiences as conservative. Nor did I see much up in arms over the BCC. I could have missed that part, though. He did R&R before he went full blues, so any fans that may have felt betrayed were likely newer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by profusion View Post
    One thing hard core blues fans have in common with hard core prog fans is that they can both be “snobbish” when it comes to what they consider true blues. Blues is pretty big here in my hometown and I know hardcore blues fans who thought Black Country Communion was a total abomination. Personally I think it is all total bullshit, but some of the blues snobs feel that way.

I read an interview with Joe where he credited an early tour opening for Tull as his big break. Apparently Ian gave him tons of invaluable advice on the music biz and how to survive. ANDY was his nod of respect to Ian for all his help.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart